Glass cutters and knife sharpeners and nut crackers OH MY!

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
knife7knut

Glass cutters and knife sharpeners and nut crackers OH MY!

Post by knife7knut »

Stopped by my favorite antique store on the way home from a job today. There is a vendor who has been selling some older knives(mostly junk)and old tools for some time now and there is always something new there when I stop in.
Today I found a couple of knives(posted elsewhere);a couple of tools,and several old glass cutters.The prices are always reasonable which is likely why there is always new merchandise showing up.
As for tools: I found a Plomb WWII era small breaker bar.Unusual in that instead of being 1/4" drive it is 9/32nds drive which makes it either pre 1940(which is when 1/4 " drive became a standard size)or WWII military issue.$2.50. Also found a nice little 4 inch Craftsman adjustable wrench.$1.00.
The glass cutters were kind of unique.One is a combination glass cutter/cap lifter/knife sharpener. There is a partial decal on the handle but it is pretty much unreadable. I'm still trying to decipher it.$1.00.
#2 is an old Red Devil glass cutter that has the image of a little devil cast into the handle.$1.00.
#3 is a very unique one. Made by Goodell Tool Co. of Shelburne Falls Mass. with a patent date of March 31 1896, it has a rotating head that holds six cutting wheels that can be moved into position by loosening a screw and moving the head.
These three and a couple smaller tools were in a package marked $3.50.
I hate to say it but I am starting to collect old glass cutters and knife sharpening tools now along with a few nut crackers. HELP ME! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Misc.GlassCutters 001.jpg
Misc.GlassCutters 002.jpg
Misc.GlassCutters 003.jpg
Misc.GlassCutters 004.jpg
Misc.GlassCutters 005.jpg
Misc.GlassCutters 006.jpg
Craftsman4inchAdjustableWrench.jpg
PlombWF-7 9-32ndsDrive Bar1.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Glass cutters and knife sharpeners and nut crackers OH MY!

Post by Old Folder »

I hate to say it but I am starting to collect old glass cutters and knife sharpening tools now along with a few nut crackers. HELP ME! :mrgreen:[/quote]

We don't need HELP "knife7knut", we need more knives & tools.
I immediately went to my tool box and searched for my Glass Cutters. Nothing even close to your cool "Red Devil" cutter.
Neat. A good start for my Saturday :D
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are some more examples:
Apex knife sharpener/glass cutter/cap lifter.
H.R.Ransom Coldwater Michigan knife sharpener.
Solid brass glass cutter marked,"France" with a screwdriver hidden in the handle to change wheels.
A nut cracker in the shape of a squirrel.
Attachments
ApexKnifeSharpener-BottleOpener-GlassCutterNP 001.jpg
H.R.Ransom&Co.ColdwaterMichKnifeSharpener1.JPG
H.R.Ransom&CoColdwaterMichKnifeSharpener2.JPG
CoolTools 004.jpg
SquirrelNutCracker 001.jpg
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

The brass French glass cutter, I bought one around 45 years ago at a antique shop as it 'looked neat?" I may still have and did not know it has a screw driver in the handle. Here is a nut cracker with I think Mother of pearl. I would like more about the age etc. Thanks, Bob
Attachments
013.JPG
015.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

mrwatch wrote:The brass French glass cutter, I bought one around 45 years ago at a antique shop as it 'looked neat?" I may still have and did not know it has a screw driver in the handle. Here is a nut cracker with I think Mother of pearl. I would like more about the age etc. Thanks, Bob
Nice looking nut cracker Bob! Only thing I would be wary about is putting pressure on those pearl handles trying to crack a nut. The letter on it looks like either a K or an R (thought it was an E at first)and that particular style of letter(looks like Diploma Text)was popular around 1900 or thereabouts.
Here is a pic of the glass cutter disassembled.
Attachments
FranceGlassCutter1.jpg
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I think that the letter is a "K" which peaked my interest. My mother was a Kimberlin. I have a book on letter engraving styles and have the tools and a engraving ball but have not tried doing it yet. I have some antique silverware that I picked up sales to study the styles and to practice on. I will not try cracking a nut then.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”