British and Commonwealth Military Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
sakoblade

Re: British and Commonwealth Military Knives

Post by sakoblade »

smiling-knife wrote:Hi Jim, No sorry I don't know about the specific units. I think they were widely distributed. This is the three piece version.
Hope you have a great weekend too.
Thanks for sharing!!

As a former Naval officer I have a thing for Navy items and I might, eventually, focus my collecting on such knives. For now, I'm just a hoarder! :mrgreen:

Jim
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi Jim, As you mentioned Navy knives, these are the standard British Navy patterns from WWI and WWII respectively. The WWI era knife is the Admiralty pattern 301 and was in service from 1910 to the 1930s. In the 1930s they went from stag to metal alloy handles. The pattern evolved and became smaller in WWII.
Attachments
015-12-07 002.jpg
015-12-07 005.jpg
JR42-1.jpg
JR42-2.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Now I'm smiling too Mr smiling-knife! :D

Thanks for the pics and the history! I will certainly keep looking for British knives but they are not easy to find over here.

By the way, is there any good reference litterature out there?

Cheers!

Jim
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I posted this one in "General Knife Discussion" but I think it would feel right at home here also.
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

tjmurphy wrote:I posted this one in "General Knife Discussion" but I think it would feel right at home here also.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg
tjmurpjy, it is awesome!! :shock: Congratulations on a great find!

Jim
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Yes, nice Wostenholm. Thanks for adding it to the thread. :-)
Rust Never Sleeps
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Do you know if this knife is common or not? This is the very first one I've seen in all my searches.

smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

I've seen a few but they are rarer than some of the common patterns shown earlier. You did well to find that one. Congrats!
Rust Never Sleeps
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

sakoblade wrote:Now I'm smiling too Mr smiling-knife! :D

Thanks for the pics and the history! I will certainly keep looking for British knives but they are not easy to find over here.

Cheers!

Jim
Hi Jim, Ron Flook's book British and Commonwealth Military Knives is an excellent resource. :-)
Rust Never Sleeps
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

smiling-knife wrote:
sakoblade wrote:Now I'm smiling too Mr smiling-knife! :D

Cheers!

Jim
Hi Jim, Ron Flook's book British and Commonwealth Military Knives is an excellent resource. :-)
Thanks a lot! Will try to find it ASAP!

Have a great weekend!

Jim
mac657

Post by mac657 »

Hello all,

I've just received this Wostenholm knife from my father. It belonged to his father who served in the British army during WW2 with the Royal Engineers.

My limited research would indicate that it is a Canadian knife, which would be possible as he served alongside the Canadians in 30 corps in NW europe, is that right ?

Also, what is the number stamp on the marlin spike for ? My initial thought was that it is a soldiers service number.

Thanks for looking,

Mac.
knife1.jpg
knife2.jpg
knife3.jpg
knife4.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK Mac. I have very little expertise regarding British Commonwealth military knives.

Do you see a MoD ownership stamp on it anywhere (see image below). I think you're on to something Re: the service number. It appears to be stamped with individual hand stamps. The two I have are stamped with the year (1943) and the MoD broad arrow on the main blade tang.
Attachments
CommonwealthGovernmentOwnershipMark.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
mac657

Post by mac657 »

Thanks for looking and reminding me Jerry !

I did mean to say that there is not an MOD 'crows foot' on it, although i believe this was not that unusual ?

I'm going to post on a WW2 forum that i use regarding the possible service number.

Mac.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

As far as I know, until 1964, the British Army and Navy are separate structures. The knives ordered by the army are stamped with arrow and year on the blade or the can opener, and the knives ordered by the admiralty are stamped with number on marlin spike.
Another thing I've read somewhere is that the knives ordered by the navy never have a can opener because the ships have a galley, and the sailors have not given cans.
Regards,
Georgi
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

My British army knives
Attachments
bmk1.jpg
bmk2.jpg
ssp1.jpg
ssp2.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I just scrolled through the thread and discovered I haven't posted my BAK's and Fairbairn Sykes. The India BAK I did post went to a new home in a POS roundtable and now I regret that decision. The things we do out of ignorance.

Both are 1943. One with the marlin spike, the other without.
British Army Knife 1943 - Two Blade.JPG
British Army Knife with Marlin Spike 1943 - Pile Side.JPG
This Fairbairn Sykes, nine ring "rings and beads" is a scarce edition, made even more so because most were private purchase and this one has the MoD broad arrow and inspectors stamp, meaning it was a government purchase and issued. There is another one with six rings that is even more scarce. In fact it's so rare the even pictures of it are rare.
Attachments
F-S Bead & Ring.jpg
fs01.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Were ALL British military issued knives marked with the broad arrow or inspection/serial number?

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

tjmurphy wrote:Were ALL British military issued knives marked with the broad arrow or inspection/serial number?
The "Broad Arrow" (sometimes called "crow's foot") is a mark used by the British government from at least the 17th century to designate government ownership. Read the "Use for British Government property" section on Wikipedia ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_arrow

The Inspector's number seems common on WWII F/S knives but I don't recall seeing it on BAK folders but then I've only seen a few of those. As for "serial number", are you referring to the service member's serial number?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

This is the knife I am wondering about. It has the earmarks of WWII issue: black, checkered plastic handles, all steel construction and bird's-eye rivot with no bolsters, same build features as the WWII knives posted. Think it's WWII issue or post WWII civilian sales? No broad arrow stamping.
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

T.J. it just hit me you already know all that stuff I posted. I apologize for treating you like a newbie. ::facepalm::

Compare the handle material to that of the ones you already have. Does it look the same? It's just from a picture but I'm thinkin' no. Plus, no crow's foot would mark it as post WWII civilian sales? Until proved otherwise, I'm going with that.

Where's Iron Hoarder or smiling-knife when ya need 'em?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Only have one other British WWII knife and it is a different breed of cat. Not a knife at all but a lineman's knife with slick handles. I'm kind of inclined to go along with the post WWII, but don't know how "post" it is. Yeh, where's those Brits when ya need 'em?? Maybe they're from across the channel :lol:
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Treasure Trawler

Post by Treasure Trawler »

Can any of you guys educate me on this pocket knife? I know it was only made between 1914-1916 but I can’t seem to find anything that says if it was used during WW1. No arrows or serial numbers on knife. There is an “R” Appreciate the help.
C62CDBBF-5E37-411A-9E3D-11F006ED5912.jpeg
994072FF-B1C2-45AD-B909-6FACFF9C9F82.jpeg
The grass withers the flower fades but the Word of our God stands forever. Isa 40:8
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

That is a maker I haven't seen before but it certainly fits the 6353/1905 pattern. It is pretty common to find them unmarked. Some have the soldier's service number, a few have the broad arrow usually on the marlin spike. The exception seems to be the Canadian knives. I have several Camillus and Schatt & Morgans and the majority of those have the C/|\ on the spike.

Now I'll have to go look through them and see what the balance. Most of the Boer War era knives I have has a service number burned into the scales.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

The photos are from a Bulgarian online trading site. The manufacturer is clear. What is this knife and why there is a British military mark? It looks more like a kitchen than a military knife.
Attachments
JB&s1.jpg
JB&s2.jpg
JB&s3.jpg
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

It most likely is a kitchen knife. The broadarrow /|\ is the British government property mark. It was used by all branches of the government, not just the military. However, the military did use kitchen knives. Feeding soldiers is a big part of the military. I have a nicely marked meat cleaver. Given that there were British troops in Greece and the Balkans during WWII it wouldn't surprise me to see it turn up in Bulgaria. Looks like a nice, useful knife.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”