Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
LanG

Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Post by LanG »

Hello AAPK, the bug has bitten me bad recently, and I've been on a pocket knife purchasing frenzy.
I purchased these Remingtons in an online auction, and I'm waiting anxiously on their delivery.
I've spent a great deal of time roaming the old threads, and the depth of knowledge here is overwhelming.
So what do you think, anything of particular interest here? I noticed etching on the main blade of the black one.
What kind of blade is that secondary one?
6Remington.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info on the lot. Good or bad, I'm looking forward to getting them in hand!
Lan
espn77

Re: Impulse Auction Purchase- Gems or Junk?

Post by espn77 »

The black knife is a lobster knife. It is interesting to me. What are the handles made of? Don't know what you paid but definitely not a junk lot IMO. Good buy.
LanG

Post by LanG »

Thanks for the reply! After premiums and shipping they were $13 apiece. I figured if nothing else, it would be cheap tuition as I would
learn a good bit on Remingtons. I don't know what the handles are, but here's the best pic of it in the listing:
lobster.knife.jpg
Lan
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

It looks like Buffalo horn to me, and at the price you paid for the lot, I'd say you came out on the plus side.

I am curious as to what the others are, and the era's they came from. It looks like you have 40's-50's up to 80's or 90's.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
LanG

Post by LanG »

Beginner's luck! ::tu:: Here's a couple more pics that maybe can show a bit more. Can you tell me which are the oldest/newest?
As a newbie I expect my preferences to change with the weather, but the older knives hold my interest the most.
Thanks for the reply!
r3.jpg
r1.jpg
Lan
americanedgetech

Here is a chart of the "Circle" stamps. I can see the knife in the foreground has a Circle stamp...
I am nowhere near experienced to venture guesses at what you have but I'll help where I can. ::tu::

Try to post up images of the tang stamps when you get them or do some searching for the Remington tang charts. ::tu::
ESPN most likely knows every one of them by heart.
Attachments
Remington circle stamps.jpg
Ken Mc.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

LanG wrote:Hello AAPK, the bug has bitten me bad recently, and I've been on a pocket knife purchasing frenzy.
I purchased these Remingtons in an online auction, and I'm waiting anxiously on their delivery.
I've spent a great deal of time roaming the old threads, and the depth of knowledge here is overwhelming.
So what do you think, anything of particular interest here? I noticed etching on the main blade of the black one.
What kind of blade is that secondary one?

6Remington.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info on the lot. Good or bad, I'm looking forward to getting them in hand!
Nice haul - you did well! The secondary blade on the black lobster pattern looks like a manicure blade. Pretty common blade on lobsters.

And, welcome to AAPK!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You scored big time ! The little 'pull ball' knife could be worth $50 or more depending upon maker. The Remington Gunstock if all original is worth much more than what you paid for the lot.
Because fakes abound it is best to have multiple views of a knife when making an assessment on line. The ones you have look fine but one cannot be certain without more pictures/views.
kj
Edit: Pull Ball looks like Remington Straight line. Not sure of value but certainly on the 'gem' side, not junk.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

The lobster knife intrigues me because I haven't come across one. I assume the pattern is R6242.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

#1 is metal, gun blue
#2 is black pearl
#3 pearl
#4 bone.
Attachments
20171111_175546.jpg
20171111_175732.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking lot!!! ::ds:: And the price you paid was a steal of a deal. Just don't sharpen the ball-pull; blade loss makes it not lock up correctly. You did good. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
LanG

Post by LanG »

Thank you Ken for the welcome, and thanks to all for the information! It's exciting to know there are some nice knives in the lot, and hopefully they will be delivered early this week. I will not sharpen or clean any until I have a better understanding of what should and should not be done.
I'll try to post better pics when they arrive. Here's a couple more from the listing:
gunstock.jpg
RemPic.jpg

Thanks again for the awesome feedback, and nice collection of lobsters ESPN77!
Lan
LanG

Post by LanG »

Just got them in! :D Some quick pics. I'm not photographically gifted, but if there is anyone you'd like a different (or better) pic of, let me know and I'll try!
The little pull ball thing is a neat trick, and it works! I won't be sharpening it. The lobster isn't solid black, but has a brown striped pattern that's tough to photograph.
CIMG5892.JPG
CIMG5895.JPG
CIMG5899.JPG
CIMG5902.JPG
CIMG5904.JPG
CIMG5909.JPG
Lan
americanedgetech

You made out quite well sir!
The striping on that lobster knife is amazing. I love it.

That Pull Ball knife... Is that some sort of automatic or is it a partial opening type action?
Ken Mc.

LanG

Post by LanG »

Thank you! I would call it partial opening- pull the ball back and the blade pops out about 1/4 way.
Lan
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Try to oil the joints. It should open automatically into a full open position. You did good on your purchase.
americanedgetech

LanG wrote:Thank you! I would call it partial opening- pull the ball back and the blade pops out about 1/4 way.
Well that's pretty cool! I have to assume then that the blades spine sits fairly flush with the scales when it is closed. I didn't see a closed picture.

I would follow my impulses all the time if I scored like that. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

LanG

Post by LanG »

espn77 wrote:Try to oil the joints. It should open automatically into a full open position. You did good on your purchase.

Thank you! I'm waiting on some Quick Release Oil to come in the mail (was hoping it would arrive today, too). I will give it a drop when it arrives.
You said you hadn't come across a lobster knife. Were those not yours posted above? What material do you think the handles on mine are?
Lan
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Those are mine. I haven't come across a slick black one yet. Yours looks to be in good condition.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Actually I take that back. Your handles look to be pyremite. Remington's version of celluloid.
LanG

Post by LanG »

espn77 wrote:Those are mine. I haven't come across a slick black one yet. Yours looks to be in good condition.

Ahh. Very nice collection! The bone one is especially stunning to me. Is the lobster pattern unique to Remington, or did others make them, too?
Lan
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I think others made them too. Remington made a lot of them. Even at that good condition is hard to find.
LanG

Post by LanG »

Here's a couple pics of the pull-ball closed:
CIMG5925.JPG
CIMG5921.JPG
Lan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Is the lobster pattern unique to Remington, or did others make them, too?
The lobster pattern was very popular at one time, like 100 years ago. Most of them had manicure blades, and many had a bail so they could also function as a pocket watch fob (think bankers, clerks, accountants, office workers - not folks that worked trades or agriculture). Most knife makers offered one or more lobster patterns in their product lines at the time. Here's an old thread with some dandy examples. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28749&hilit=Lobsters

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That is a great thread. Thanks Ken

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”