Jumbo Remington gunstock

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
270johnson9098

Jumbo Remington gunstock

Post by 270johnson9098 »

This is a big beautiful knife but it doesn’t have a model# and I can’t seem to find one in any of my books. It’s stamped 1935-1940 and I’ve never seen another like it was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
FRJ

Re: Jumbo Remington gunstock

Post by FRJ »

Welcome Johnson.
Please post pictures.
Joe
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I saw your picture of the knife in the other thread. I don't thing your knife is 1935-40. It is a recently made knife by who I don't know.
270johnson9098

Post by 270johnson9098 »

Dating it I went by the tang stamp. I’ll try an put a couple more pics on. Thanks for looking tho
Attachments
CD80B9EC-D5D9-4720-91AC-296DC46395F0.jpeg
DD0C4C84-410F-48BD-8C23-7646A31D748E.jpeg
A1EA3ED2-D106-4C71-AF32-DDD46C633170.jpeg
270johnson9098

Post by 270johnson9098 »

espn77 wrote:I saw your picture of the knife in the other thread. I don't thing your knife is 1935-40. It is a recently made knife by who I don't know.
I’ve got quite a few Remington knives but this one throws me for a loop it has plenty of walk an talk, I don’t believe it to be newer just can’t find any info on it
espn77

Post by espn77 »

If be interested to hear what you find out about it.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Forgive me for not offering any help. I just wanted to say that is a beautiful knife.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
270johnson9098

Post by 270johnson9098 »

espn77 wrote:If be interested to hear what you find out about it.
Yeah me also. The fit on it is really nice shows some more age in the inside. Nice sturdy knife. Just at a loss not being able to find any info on it.
270johnson9098

Post by 270johnson9098 »

Railsplitter wrote:Forgive me for not offering any help. I just wanted to say that is a beautiful knife.
Thank you. I enjoy it. Glad you liked it.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I am afraid the knife is a fantasy, not anything to do with Remington. There are a few of these floating around out there. Not sure where they came from but they are not genuine Remingtons.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
270johnson9098

Post by 270johnson9098 »

hmmmm interesting POV. Curious as to why you would believe it’s not a Remington. I’ve read all the books I can find and tried digging into it further but when it’s looked at and felt it feels like a Remington with good snap. We know there are models that don’t have stamped but inked numbers. I’ve also seen some counterfeits,but I have no reason to believe that this is one. I’m definitely not an expert but I do have quite a few years of experience. Guess I’ll just have to keep digging
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm by no means an expert either. First is the blade etch. Not an etch they used back then and sure wouldn't put it on upside down. The handles don't look like the Rogers bone handles they used to use. The Remington in the handles would not have been able to have been done with the jigging machines back then. The tang stamp I've seen that used plenty on newer made knives. Only my opinion.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Wayne and Keith are correct on this one....

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I appreciate you showing us your knife. Hope that out opinions about it doesn't make you feel unwelcome. My opinions are only based on what I've seen. Would love to see more of your Remington collection.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

270johnson9098 wrote:hmmmm interesting POV. Curious as to why you would believe it’s not a Remington. I’ve read all the books I can find and tried digging into it further but when it’s looked at and felt it feels like a Remington with good snap. We know there are models that don’t have stamped but inked numbers. I’ve also seen some counterfeits,but I have no reason to believe that this is one. I’m definitely not an expert but I do have quite a few years of experience. Guess I’ll just have to keep digging
Many times when people ask "why do you believe it's not genuine" it can be very hard to quantify. Difficult to the point that it is hard to relate and be believed by whoever is asking the question. In many cases it is just speculation and difference of opinion, nothing more.

My point of view is based on over 35 years of actively buying, selling and collecting old knives. Absolutely no doubt in my mind it is not an authentic Remington product. I have seen a good number of knives identical to yours. Newer knives made in the last 25 years or so.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ditto,Wayne ,Keith and Ray.Not close to a vintage Remington.
Roger
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

The guys on this forum are incredibly sceptical but very fair. If They say fantasy, accept it and learn. I greatly appreciate your post as you are educating all of us.

Hitting a home run here is as rare as hens teeth... ::uc::
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Here’s a thought... maybe everyone is correct. It is “not” a Remington knife made in the 1920’s or the 1930’s regardless of the Trademark tang stamp. You can’t always judge a book by it cover must less a modern era tang stamp of a vintage tang stamp. Those of us that have handled enough old Remington knives know what that factory stamp looks like. That stamp is probably the same era as oh let’s say the Camillus/Remington era stamping. It is a “fantasy” marketing knife for Remington and possibly by Remington or let’s say by Parker or Frost Cutlery but regardless made more than likely out side these United States. Not saying Japan or China but possible...Remington and before mentioned companies had/has knives contracted for production out of Italy and also Germany to name a few. I have seen this knife on several occasions over the last few years on the internet and on eBay. It’s a decent knife but for those of us who collect original factory production Remington knives from the 1920’s and 1930’s... this is not one of them. But if you collect Remington...period... I’d put it in the pot and call it stew! Just my humble input. ::tu::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”