Skyline

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
Gobbleandgrunt

Skyline

Post by Gobbleandgrunt »

I really love my kershaw. I don’t have the collection some of you do, but I have several leeks and several scallions. The skyline keeps catching my eye. For you all that have one, do you like it, love it or should I stick with my leeks? They are a good shaped knife, and they are drawing me toward them. What’s your thoughts? Thanks.
313 Mike

Re: Skyline

Post by 313 Mike »

I had one, loved the blade shape, and how slim and light it was. The flipper on mine never seemed to get the blade all the way out though, no matter how I adjusted it, so I passed it on. It was especially frustrating considering how smooth the assisted opening works on the leek and scallion, to deploy the flipper on the skyline and have the knife stop halfway out. Plenty of other people love theirs though, so maybe I just had a bad example. Like I said though, I really liked the blade shape, light weight, and slimness of the knife.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I like mine because it's orange. I wish it had SpeedSafe though. I'm not much on the flippers. The black ones are plentiful and reasonable but if you want any other color be prepared to loosen up those purse strings.

Mike have you tried a flick of the wrist to finish opening it?
Attachments
Kershaw Skyline 1760OR - Open Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I also had one, a black G-10 model, and I liked the light weight and slim size. The unassisted flipper worked just fine as long as I assisted it with a wrist flick as jerryd suggested. I also liked the finger choil design. I found that I needed a little serration from time to time and so I picked up a Chill which is practically the same knife but slightly smaller with a different blade profile and is available with a part-serrated blade option. The Chill does everything I require of a general, light-duty EDC for about 1/3 the cost of a (normal) Skyline.

Jerryd, is your Day-Glo orange Skyline stock or a custom mod?

~Q~

My EDC (Every Day Chill)
P8140364.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't think it's Day-Glo as I understand Day-Glo colors (I'm not good with colors, so........), but it was available as a standard color.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Maybe it's just the contrast against the dark background that makes it look like it's glowing. Whatever you call it, it's a good looking knife, and I'm not usually all that attracted to brightly colored knife handles. And, as far as aesthetic appeal goes...for whatever it's worth...I will admit that I think the Skyline is more attractive than the Chill. The dimensions, proportions, geometry, etc. just seem more visually appealing to my eye.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's probably it because it doesn't "glow" in real life. For some reason, I just like orange in my knives. Just my knives. Not in the rest of real life and I'm slowly backing off on orange knives.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

That's why I wondered if you'd had it customized...your proclivity for orange knives is well known and I hadn't ever seen an orange Skyline before (although, admittedly, I never really looked for one either).

~Q~

~Q~
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Yep Jerry, I tried the ol' wrist flick maneuver to no avail. Just left me looking like I was having a wrist seizure every time I wanted to use the knife, and it still didn't deploy all the way, which just left me feeling (and looking) foolish. ::facepalm:: I don't need any help in that regard...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”