Remington Identification Help

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
Sturgero

Remington Identification Help

Post by Sturgero »

I am a new collector. I came across a nice case with a set of Remington knives in it and had to buy it at the price.

I have tried researching these knives, but I can't seem to find any good info on them. I was hoping you might be able to help out the new guy.

Here is the collection:
0223181313.jpg
Here are a couple of close ups of one of the knives. They are all single blade with an old Remington ammo or gun ad under the clear side. The other side is just black.
0223181314.jpg
0223181429.jpg
Here is the tang stamp. All of the stamps are identical.
0223181315_HDR.jpg
Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
remington collector

Re: Remington Identification Help

Post by remington collector »

I believe the name of the series was Shur-Shot. They became available in the early 2000's. If you bought them one at a time they cost around $5.00 each, around $4.00 each if you purchased the entire set at one time. The display case could be bought separately if desired, but I don't think the case you have pictured was the one that went with those knives.
alabama

Post by alabama »

look like colonial knives
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

I think it was made by Camillus.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Vit_213 wrote:I think it was made by Camillus.
Vit is right.
http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Ca ... talogs.pdf
Go to top of page 21

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

These were, probably, the cheapest knives Camillus did.
I have a few similar.
Sturgero

Post by Sturgero »

Thanks everyone! Especially Shearer. That catalog identified them exactly. Now I just gotta figure out who made a series of ad knives for Remington Ammo and when. :D

Even if they aren't my usual taste, the price I paid was worth it for the case. The knives were just a little gravy for me.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”