Western #36

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Producer

Western #36

Post by Producer »

Attachments
DSC04040.JPG
DSC04011.JPG
DSC04012.JPG
DSC04010.JPG
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
FRJ

Re: Western #36

Post by FRJ »

Three fine knives. ::tu::
Joe
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

My Dad gave me a Western W36 just like the one in these Photos Found it in the WOODS in West Virginia - A very GOOD KNIFE - it had a "J" Stamp on it and if I am correct I think Western Started Stamping the Tangs with the Lettering System Post 1977 Starting with the LETTER "A" being a 1978 and So on so I guess this would Put the one with a "J" STAMP being Manufactured in 1987 or would it of been 1988 - THANKS - DAD - YOUR WELCOME SON ~ !
Attachments
Western W36 (1).jpg
Western W36 (2).jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Extra fine knives. It’s mighty hard to beat an old western.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Mountain Man Knives wrote:My Dad gave me a Western W36 just like the one in these Photos Found it in the WOODS in West Virginia - A very GOOD KNIFE - it had a "J" Stamp on it and if I am correct I think Western Started Stamping the Tangs with the Lettering System Post 1977 Starting with the LETTER "A" being a 1978 and So on so I guess this would Put the one with a "J" STAMP being Manufactured in 1987 or would it of been 1988 - THANKS - DAD - YOUR WELCOME SON ~ !
A was 1977. J would have been 1986.
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

I was curious about that because I had seen someone somewhere say that theirs was an 1986 with the J Stamp ....... not 1988 - I was going the wrong direction ~ Thanks

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”