Northwoods Big Bay

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Cletus Awreetus

Re: Northwoods Big Bay

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

hey guys!
Lee's absolutely correct in his suspicion that the buyer is redirected between KSF and paypal sites during their attempt to purchase. as far as bots being involved, there were guys on ebay last night listing multiple Big Bays and upon further investigation had 4-5-6 knives for sale. I don't believe for a minute that's dumb luck nor serendipity.
it took me no less than 10 tries before scoring a giraffe bone.I still don't know for sure which one I'm getting. another thing that screws you is you must remove 'out of stock' items every time you make another attempt at a buy. everything about the process works against the average knife buyer. A group of 3 of us made a pact; text the other 2 guys a thumbs up upon a successful purchase, that way the others would continue to try to score so's nobody'd be left out in the cold. Needless to say, 2 of us were.
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Cletus I think if someone texted me a thumbs up during that frenetic feeding frenzy I would most certainly blame them if I didn't get one. ::sotb::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I need help to understand this: "Lee's absolutely correct in his suspicion that the buyer is redirected between KSF and paypal sites during their attempt to purchase."
I was logged into both KSF and PP from the beginning. I place knife in cart, hit "pay with PP" and it takes me over to PP but being already logged in it is just 2 'steps': confirm 'use PP balance" and "Ship to this address". Everything is 'filled in'. I just have to click 'yes' twice.
Is this really slower than using the KFS checkout and paying with credit card ?
I have not paid for an item using KSF check out for years but i remember having to enter lots of info to complete, e.g. visa card number , exp. date, 3 digit code. Surely this takes longer than what i describe above for PP ?
My contention is that the internet always grants priority to the fastest speed incoming message. As my high speed is not fast i can be part way through checkout and get 'passed' by a guy behind me but with true hi speed signal, because the internet will hold back my slow signal in favor of his faster one.
The only way a slower signal guy can score is if no other signals come in during the entire transaction; i.e. situations with no competition.
Nanoseconds make a difference in score or loose. I listened to a program about this as it applies to stock market, money market, etc. trading. Trading businesses have spent tens of millions of dollars to get a a few nanoseconds faster. Nano = billionth
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

KJ, if PP works fast for you then I'd stick with that. I offered that suggestion based on the fact that using PP introduces yet another variable that is out of the buyer's control. If you're automating your purchase process with a script/bot, then you probably won't use PP, and on some networks PP is very slow. On my work computer the PP site won't display properly (CSS doesn't load!) and takes a long time. Your mileage may vary. Just do what works best for you on your device and network.

I gave a long explanation about bots because the scalpers and serious enthusiasts already know this stuff, and nontechnical knife guys are left wondering, "What just happened?!" after ~500 NW knives sell out in about 8 minutes. It could simply be the case that a couple thousand buyers are swamping the server and some are very fast at making purchases, but that isn't likely considering the earlier example of a single scalper on the bay with several of these knives. How did he do it? I don't know, I wasn't there, but I suspect they're using automated processes, aka, bots. Why does he use a bot? Because he can make a lot of money off buyers willing to pay redunkulous prices on the bay, and economics drive free markets. 'Merica!

This is starting to intrigue me more, and a shopping cart script sounds like an interesting project. If I had a simple javascript bot I'd probably share it with the bros here on aapk because I don't think it's right that genuine enthusiasts are being beaten out by scalpers who might not even care about the knives they're grabbing. :x

Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Lee, i enjoy reading your posts about the KSF knife 'scramble'. It helps me have some idea of what happens with these new releases.
With the advent of the Digital Age i have been rendered essentially illiterate and now need to rely on others to effectively navigate this vicarious reality. How can 'vicarious' be real ? Because some humans made it so and fooled the rest of the world.
Life before computers & internet was all real. Now reality has been replaced by a digital screen which only gives a vicarious experience. Those who cannot navigate the screen are left behind has-beens.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I hope those here who did win a B.B.N. will post a picture here. Did anyone get a really nice mammoth or giraffe bone ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:I hope those here who did win a B.B.N. will post a picture here. Did anyone get a really nice mammoth or giraffe bone ?
kj
Roland, I only got to look at it for a second but I'm pretty sure I got a very nice brownish-gray giraffe bone. It should be here on Saturday and I will definitely post it. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ok this came in the mail today, the much ballyhooed Big Bay. Fit and finish, action perfect. even came with patina on the non ground surfaces which i'll probably clean off. Brownish-Gray Giraffe bone
Attachments
023.JPG
024.JPG
025.JPG
026.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

My goodness, Greg. That is stunning!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Thanks Rick! I find it very interesting how that giraffe bone takes dyes differently. It's amazing in the sun light.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Cletus Awreetus

my Giraffe and a Red Micarta I was lucky enough to score for a buddy.
btw, like Greg I wasn't completely sure which knife I'd bought until I got it in hand.
Attachments
Big Bay 2.JPG
Big Bay 3.JPG
Big Bay 1.JPG
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hey you lucky guys: thanks for showing these B.B.'s
3 3/4", right ?
Giraffe bone seems to be able to take variable amounts of any dye and every piece is a little different. Good stuff !
Does camel bone do the same thing ?
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Fresh out the mailbox, still cold.
20180320_165610_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
Attachments
20180320_165617_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Great looking knives, guys!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Big and Little Bay together.
Attachments
20180401_222038_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
20180401_222054_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I'm afraid that I have become a hopeless Northwoods junkie. Here's a Big Bay in mammoth that I just scored.
Attachments
s-l400 (73).jpg
s-l400 (73).jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 6448 times
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

gsmith7158 wrote:I'm afraid that I have become a hopeless Northwoods junkie.
Well, at least you have complete control of your impulses for other brands. ::poke::

Beautiful example! I’m looking forward to pictures that shows off a better view of the mammoth.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jerry there's another one that I am eyeing as we speakthat would be a prize indeed. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, would you ever divulge where you spy these beauties ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Greg, would you ever divulge where you spy these beauties ?
kj
Roland that one was from ebay. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

This giraffe Big Bay was in the stragglers that accompanied the Madison Barlow drop. My lighting tends to accentuate orange.
Attachments
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe Front & Back.jpg
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe Top & Bottom.jpg
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe #3.jpg
Northwoods Big Bay Giraffe #4.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would like to see a picture of the Madison Barlow & Big Bay to compare sizes. I do not have either of these so do not know the sizes or which GEC pattern # they are built on.
kj
Cletus Awreetus

'ere ya go..
Attachments
BB-MB.JPG
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I don't have Madison Barlow to compare. The Big Bay is 3 3/4" and is built on the GEC 78 frame. Here are some comparison pictures of the Big Bay and a GEC 78.
Attachments
Compare GEC 78 to Northwoods Big Bay #1.jpg
Compare GEC 78 to Northwoods Big Bay #3.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks guys. So, the "Big Bay" is not really that big and the Madison Barlow is the bigger of these two which is opposite to what i had thought.
The Madison is likely on the #43 frame which is 4 1/4" ?
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”