Case Russlock knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Russlock knives

Post by QTCut5 »

Full disclosure: Despite my apparent interest in the ease/difficulty of opening a RussLock, I don't even really like the Russlock pattern all that much. I only ever became interested in it in the first place because at one time I collected knives with unusual opening methods...and, love it or hate it, you must admit the extended tang opening lever on the RussLock definitely is unusual.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I watched those guys do the OHO trick again, and they almost have me believing it can be done. Now, if they can do it with one of mine, this unbeliever will be converted.

Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

treefarmer wrote:SUT T., This is a little off topic but your comment about cutting a 1/4" bolt with a set of Klein's made me think of a Gulf Power line foreman that could break a set of Klein's with one hand. He won a lot of bets over the years! I don't think there are many men able to do that anymore.
Treefarmer
treefarmer:
I was just going over past posts on this thread, and was reading about that "Gulf Power line foreman, that could break a set of Klein's with one hand". After thinking about that, I wondered if he was allowed to place his hand on something, such as his leg, when he broke the 9" klein's? The one handed strength test that we bet on, had to be done without the hand touching anything. I am sure that I could have broke 9" Kleins one handed also, if allowed to place my hand on my leg, while doing the strength test. Do you remember how he did it? thanks. OBTW I'd be hard pressed to cut a 10/32 screw with 9" Klein's today.

Sut Tatersaul
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Sut, I don't remember how he held the Klein's but one thing did happen that was very sad, he had a stroke just a year or two before he retired. He was able to regain most of his mobility but it sure slowed him down. :(
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

QTCut5 wrote:
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Sut: Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3J3c5u-vE&t=5s
You can hear the snap from the backspring as he opens and closes the knives.
A lot of the noise you hear when he opens the blade is the sound of the liner lock snapping into position...it's not all coming from the back spring. The snap is noticeably less loud when he closes as compared to when he opens the blade.

I gotta agree with Sut on this...as I mentioned previously, I have owned close to 100 different "standard" RussLocks (unmodified factory production models) and without exception every single one had a very stiff back spring that would've been impossible to open as easily as the guy demonstrating his one-hand opening method in the video. I would only believe it if I sent him one of my RussLocks and he could OHO it the same as he does with his. Either he is using a modified RussLock (possibly even one with a poorly heat-treated back spring that is worn out from frequent opening & closing), or he has a freakishly strong thumb--and it does not appear that he is straining or flexing particularly hard when he squeezes or puts pressure on the extended tang.

Color me skeptical. ::undecided::

~Q~

Edit: I just watched the last video (Bermuda Green RussLock with pocket clip) and although he only opened the knife one time, he did use the same OHO method as on the other RussLock (Black G-10). But, I noticed that he used two hands to close it... ::hmm::
QTcut5
I'll pm you my address and you can send me 1 of your knives & I'll film me opening it and closing it 1 handed. Lol
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

barnwood42 wrote: I'll pm you my address and you can send me 1 of your knives & I'll film me opening it and closing it 1 handed. Lol
I guess you got my message on youtube. :wink:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

barnwood42 wrote:QTcut5
I'll pm you my address and you can send me 1 of your knives & I'll film me opening it and closing it 1 handed. Lol
I would love to see if you could do it. ::skeptic::

To enter the RussLock OHO Challenge, send $100 (registration fee) along with your address and I'll send you this unmodified Russlock. If you can open it one-handed (video proof required), I will grant you the title:
RussLock OHO World Champion ::not_worthy:: ::clapping::
which comes with a cash prize of $20.00 for winning the contest. ::woot:: CHA-CHING!! ::ds::
P2160007_1.JPG
P2160012_1.JPG
Regardless of whether you win or lose, the beautiful genuine stag RussLock is yours to keep as a free gift just for taking the challenge ::sotb::

~Q~

~Q~
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

I have collected and been carrying a russlock since they first come out in 2000. It took me about a year to perfect the OHO method. It was'nt easy but with plenty of practice it can be done.Nice stag knife you have there. This is my lastest set of Russlocks I just purchased.
Attachments
15210572556323758709796384540264.jpg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

barnwood42 wrote:I have collected and been carrying a russlock since they first come out in 2000. It took me about a year to perfect the OHO method. It was'nt easy but with plenty of practice it can be done.Nice stag knife you have there. This is my lastest set of Russlocks I just purchased.
That's awesome!!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

barnwood42 wrote:I have collected and been carrying a russlock since they first come out in 2000. It took me about a year to perfect the OHO method. It was'nt easy but with plenty of practice it can be done.Nice stag knife you have there. This is my lastest set of Russlocks I just purchased.
Nice set of RussLocks and cool display. ::tu::

~Q~

PS PM me if you are interested in buying my stag/red shield RussLock to add to your collection ($80 shipped).

~Q~
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:
barnwood42 wrote: I'll pm you my address and you can send me 1 of your knives & I'll film me opening it and closing it 1 handed. Lol
I guess you got my message on youtube. :wink:
Luggage I'm not the guy from youTube.
So he still hasn't answered or replyed to your message. ::dang::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

barnwood42 sent me an email that included a video clip of him opening the red shield stag Russlock he bought from me with one hand like it was nothing. It took him a grand total of 44 seconds to cut open the mailing envelope, take out the knife and flick it open and closed several times with one hand. I must admit I am totally impressed. I asked him to post the clip here on AAPK so y'all can see it for yourselves...I hope he does...it's quite impressive. (Now I'm going to have to get my pathetically weak thumbs into therapy to try and recover their self-esteem ::mdm:: Thanks a lot, barnwood, ya big show off!)

~Q~

~Q~
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

Have been having troubles trying to post a link to video. Keep getting wrong format error message.
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

Had been having troubles posting original video.
I give up.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I have become, "Absativialy Posatutly" a believer in the OHO, of the Case Russlock knives. I also know for a fact, that I'll never be able to do it! I also know that I'm not the only one, that can't, and don't give a "Rat's Mass". I really like the looks of, The Russlock knives. I like the, design of the Russlock action, for what it was intended for. I only have three of them so far, but intend to collect a few more of them.

Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC02091.JPG
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I have one Case Russlock. I carried it everyday for a while because I liked the overall size and look of the knife. I was never able to master the one hand opening though I tried it for a bit. I quit carrying my Russlock because I decided that the feel of the knife when in use was not as good as most of my pocket knives. The way my index finger is on the liner lock and my thumb is on the elevated back of the blade with the Russlock is not as comfortable as having my index finger on the body of the knife and my thumb on the join of the body and the back of the blade with a knife like the Seahorse.
Attachments
Russlock and Seahorse
Russlock and Seahorse
Mel
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I have been watching Russlock drop point knifes, with bright green scales, of some kind. The only ones I'v seen, were with the drop point, serrated blades. has Case ever offered Russlock, drop point knives, in a bright green, without the blade serrations? Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Thanks anyway.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:I have been watching Russlock drop point knifes, with bright green scales, of some kind. The only ones I'v seen, were with the drop point, serrated blades. has Case ever offered Russlock, drop point knives, in a bright green, without the blade serrations? Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
IS this the one you are looking for.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-XX-61953L ... OSw5KtaYQT~

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Shearer:

The knife shown in your reference, is one of the green colors, that i like, but that knife has a "clip point" blade. I am trying to find out if Case ever offered a "drop point" Russlock knife, in those light green colors. I have found one, that was offered by Case, with the "drop point" blade, but the blade was serrated. I know that I'm making this confusing, but, Did Case ever offer their Russlock knife, in light green colors, with a drop point, blade that was not serrated? Sorry about my confusing questions, but I don't care for the "clip Point"blades, and already have enough of them. I also don't care for blades with serrated edges. Here is a knife of the type I would like to find, but, would like it to have lite green scales. I hope that you folks bear with me. Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC02211.JPG
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:The knife shown in your reference, is one of the green colors, that i like, but that knife has a "clip point" blade. I am trying to find out if Case ever offered a "drop point" Russlock knife, in those light green colors. I have found one, that was offered by Case, with the "drop point" blade, but the blade was serrated. I know that I'm making this confusing, but, Did Case ever offer their Russlock knife, in light green colors, with a drop point, blade that was not serrated? Sorry about my confusing questions, but I don't care for the "clip Point"blades, and already have enough of them. I also don't care for blades with serrated edges. Here is a knife of the type I would like to find, but, would like it to have lite green scales. I hope that you folks bear with me. Thanks.
Closest I've seen is one of the Russlock drop-points I currently own, a light sea blue jigged bone but not much of a green hue like the blue-green appaloosa knives of the 1990s featured. It's more of a natural powder blue color.

I usually snap up green-handled Case knives, and I prefer the Russlock drop-point profile to the deep Bowie clip blade, but as of yet I have not seen anything that fits this description.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Winnipeg Gentleman

Post by Winnipeg Gentleman »

Barnwood, a while ago you posted a picture of your Russlock collection, the one that has several Russlocks in the large Russlock-shaped wooden case.

I remember seeing that on TV, on a knife-selling show called "Cutlery Corner." Is that where you bought that from?

Winnipeg Gentleman
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

[quote="Winnipeg Gentleman"]Barnwood, a while ago you posted a picture of your Russlock collection, the one that has several Russlocks in the large Russlock-shaped wooden case.

I remember seeing that on TV, on a knife-selling show called "Cutlery Corner." Is that where you bought that from?

Winnipeg Gentleman[/quote

Winnipeg Gentleman I bought my Russlock wooden display an knives from the Case Collector magazine..
Since buying mine I have seen 1 on E-Bay and one at Smoky Mountain Knife Works.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Mind ya I do not have a personal opinion either way on the Case Russlock
But Doggone...that Stag one that QTCUT has with no bolster on it,,
I can't help it,, thats a looker in my book !!! Gorgeous Stag !!!

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
barnwood42

Post by barnwood42 »

stagman wrote:Mind ya I do not have a personal opinion either way on the Case Russlock
But Doggone...that Stag one that QTCUT has with no bolster on it,,
I can't help it,, thats a looker in my book !!! Gorgeous Stag !!!

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
That's what I thought. So I bought it from him. Thanks again QTCUT.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”