Trying more pictures

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Trying more pictures

Post by stockman »

On my new scanner my pictures are not good trying somethings. They are so small when I add them to a post, they will enlarge on my end. Also they are blurry. Not happy about them. May need a camera. This knife has been seen before.

Harold
Attachments
Image (19).jpg
Image (20).jpg
Image (21).jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Trying more pictures

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

You might check with a past thread under General Knife Discussion, Indoor Knife Photography. There was some good tips in there from many people, and a photo of the setup I use.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
espn77

Post by espn77 »

That is a heck of a standard dollar knife you have Harald.
Attachments
20180329_140127.png
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I feel your pain. My scans are poor and I don't know how to make it happen. Barry Wolder (1fartsmella) scans knives and the images are fantastic. I would like to see him do a brief tutorial here.
Check out this scan from him. They are all that good; how does he do it? :? ::shrug::
ULST STKMN BK.jpg
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Cal, Thank you for your kind words. My scanner is an old HP Scanjet 4890 that I bought back in 2001. When I scan the knives, I use the HP image zone editing program that came with the scanner. I crop the photos first. To 800 to 1000 pixels wide. Then I lighten the photo, they usually come out to dark without a little help. When the scan is the full size of the glass the file is to large for web use (usually 10MB). When the photo is cropped down its a better size for the internet (800 to 900KB). I find when I try to enlarge the pix, they get pixelated and grainy. So I never make them larger than 100% Sometimes I get some bad reflections from the blade. To remedy this sometimes when the knife is rotated 180 degrees the reflection is gone.
The scanning is definitely a practice thing. I'm no expert, practice helps. Thanks again for your kind words, Barry
Barry
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

That is a nice one Harold! ::tu::
Roger
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks for the comments on the Dollar Knife. My old scanner was great. My new one not so. It is a HP Desk Jet 2652. Very cheap maybe $35-40. Will play with it some more, who knows it took me awhile to figure the old one out.

HP

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”