Remington Tang Stamp Question

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Remington Tang Stamp Question

Post by deo-pa »

I picked this one up today but I'm questioning the tang stamp. The "UMC" letters are larger than the 'REMINGTON" letters. The other Remingtons I own the letters are the same size. Is this tang stamp authentic? Thanks,

Dennis
Attachments
Remington.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Remington Tang Stamp Question

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I don't know the answer, but check this out: http://www.bp-outdoors.com/knife_brands ... nives.html
remington_knife_lockback_2_300.jpg
remington_knife_lockback_2_300.jpg (26.67 KiB) Viewed 3625 times
Maybe your knife is newer?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Ah, maybe that's it... thanks. Can anyone confirm TwoFlowersLuggage's suggestion? Any other opinions or explanations?

I gotta ask. Ever since you joined last year I've been wondering where the name TwoFlowersLuggage comes from. There's gotta be a story there. ::shrug:: ::hmm::

Dennis
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Dennis, I can't comment on what the size of the letters might indicate. I cropped the stamp and enlarged it significantly in the photo below. To me, the stamp looks like it is original to the blade - I don't see any evidence of "tampering". From what I can see of the knife it looks old to me. I don't see anything blatant that would give cause for concern.

I included a side-by-side comparison with a stamp for a RS3333 that was handy. The blade tang on the RS3333 is much larger than the knife you are asking about so the lettering on the knife you are asking about probably is more "scrunched together".
Attachments
Remington Stamp enlarged.jpg
Remington Stamp compare enlarged.jpg
TwoFlowersLuggage

deo-pa wrote:Ah, maybe that's it... thanks. Can anyone confirm TwoFlowersLuggage's suggestion? Any other opinions or explanations?

I gotta ask. Ever since you joined last year I've been wondering where the name TwoFlowersLuggage comes from. There's gotta be a story there. ::shrug:: ::hmm::

Dennis
Well, it was probably a poor choice of nom de plume for this forum, as no one here but me seems to be a Terry Pratchett fan...

I attempted a short explanation here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17102&start=330#p615683

Until fairly recently, my avatar was:
TheLuggageAvatar.jpg
TheLuggageAvatar.jpg (9.05 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
And a couple of more...
the-luggage.jpg
colour-of-magic.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Thanks 2FL; I missed your earlier explanation. I spent some time Googling him and I'm embarrassed to say I was unfamiliar with such a prolific writer. Quite the eccentric Englishman with an OBE and a tragic end for a writer. Love this quote from him:

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Dennis
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Need to see the whole knife to make a determination if the knife is real or not.Has the saying goes"read the knife,not what it says".
Roger
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Here are some full knife photos Peanut.
Attachments
Rem-1.jpg
Rem-2.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Imo by looking at the pictures your knife gives me many concerns. The main blade should have some kind of swedge on it. Choil doesn't look like a Remington choil. The pull doesn't look right (to fat). I've seen many Christmas tree knives but not any striped that Remington made. Again only my opinion. They did a lot of things I haven't seen.
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Thanks espn. What is your opinion on my original question? Does the oversize "UMC" exist in legitimate vintage Remingtons? (Per the photo TwoFlowersLuggage provided we know it exists in modern ones.)

Dennis
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I think the stamp resembles the modern erra stamp.
Attachments
20180406_100436.png
TwoFlowersLuggage

Dennis - did your new friend give any background on where & when he acquired the knife?
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I'm with Keith,not an original Remington.
Roger
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

did your new friend give any background on where & when he acquired the knife?
I asked him today. Best of his recollection he acquired it quite some time ago from another collector. Perhaps in a trade he thinks.

A Google search turned up a photo from a 2015 eBay sale with the identical handle pattern and shield. Only the title was available and not the entire listing and it was titled "Old Candy Striped Pocket Knife Antique" and it sold for $32. The body of the knife and the blade configuration was different but the handles were exactly the same. So perhaps this was a cheap knife re-bladed with fake Remington blades. Too bad, as it has pretty handles, brass liners, a solid feel, and sharp blades with great snap. A new one for EDC rotation I guess.

Dennis

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”