My Favorite Bucks

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Mad German

My Favorite Bucks

Post by Mad German »

Hi guys. I’m new here, so I just wanted to say hi and thanks for letting me join the group.

My favorite Bucks, and dare I say my favorite knives, are my 503 & 703. I went through the phase of larger knives (PM2, ZT0562, and such) but in the end, I always came back to my trusty 503 and 703. For me, knives of this size are perfect for my needs. I’m not a “hard use” kind of guy, I just use my knives to open the mail, cut strings now and then, open a few packages here and there, etc.

My late father got along just fine with a knife about the size of my 503, so I figured so can I. I do have dedicated hunting and fishing knives, as well as some heavier duty folders for camping use. But for day to day tasks, the 503 and 703 just can’t be beat.

Of course, these are just my opinions!

Anyone agree or disagree?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My Favorite Bucks

Post by Railsplitter »

I'm not familiar with the 503 but I carried a 703 for several years straight back in the early/mid 1980's when I only owned one pocket knife. I went into a pawn shop with some other guys and I wasn't even looking for a new pocket knife. They had a display case of the 700 series knives and I just had to have that 703.

I loved that thing. I currently own a 703 but it's not the same one.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have several Buck knives, all fixed and not a single folder except an Alpha Hunter flipper given to me by my Son. My favorite Buck is the 121, hands down.
Corso

Post by Corso »

I like the small folders myself

309 is a particular favorite
eveled

Post by eveled »

Mad River, nothing wrong with the 503 or 703. For years I carried a small stockman, I know what smalle knives can do. Your right its all you'll ever need.
tongueriver wrote:I have several Buck knives, all fixed and not a single folder except an Alpha Hunter flipper given to me by my Son. My favorite Buck is the 121, hands down.

The guide or the fisherman? Both are nice in their own way. Both are model 121.

I cary a 110 daily for the last 30+ years, but my favorite sheath knife is the 117 small special. It has the blade from the small Brahma, with the handle of the classic Buck knives. It's the fourth one from the top in this picture.
Attachments
IMG_20171210_075333046.jpg
Thunderdaddy

Post by Thunderdaddy »

My favorite Buck is the 112 Ranger. My favorite production era for these is the 2 dot period, but here's a nice earlier one I carried yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_20180510_171841796.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

If forced to choose only one it would be the Buck 118. My favorite of the five I own is this one I bought from Cal several years ago. OH
Attachments
Buck_118_-_circa_1968-71.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

I abhor things in my pocket. That being the case I carry a 110 since size doesn't matter on my belt. I've never found it to be cumbersome or too big and when its embellished or custom it shows off a lot better than a smaller knife. Especially in open top sheaths.
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

kossetx wrote:I abhor things in my pocket. That being the case I carry a 110 since size doesn't matter on my belt. I've never found it to be cumbersome or too big and when its embellished or custom it shows off a lot better than a smaller knife. Especially in open top sheaths.
Love to see some pictures of your favorite 110's! :D
Larry

Each one, teach one.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I think my favorite Buck is the 303 or maybe the 307 ::shrug:: pending what's up.At work its a .112.
Attachments
IMG_0132.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I, too, like my Buck 303. I use it everyday.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

boykinlp wrote:
kossetx wrote:I abhor things in my pocket. That being the case I carry a 110 since size doesn't matter on my belt. I've never found it to be cumbersome or too big and when its embellished or custom it shows off a lot better than a smaller knife. Especially in open top sheaths.
OK but there is a thread on this forum under buck 112 Barehead that shows some of mine but here are a few more. The top one is Buck and the bottom is Remer Stone. It's a little hard to see but the RS bolsters have a copper elk head silhouette on them.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

kossetx wrote:
boykinlp wrote:
OK but there is a thread on this forum under buck 112 Barehead that shows some of mine but here are a few more. The top one is Buck and the bottom is Remer Stone. It's a little hard to see but the RS bolsters have a copper elk head silhouette on them.
NICE!!!
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

I truly love odd rare 112's..One of one, Customs any odd one will do!
20190606_110735.jpg
eveled

Post by eveled »

I never warmed up to the 112, but yours are beautiful.

Funny I like the 112 with a drop point but in the 110 I prefer the old clip.
E2B0EE21-D441-49D5-82AB-A8CD4107623D.jpeg

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”