Northwoods Future

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Northwoods Future

Post by kootenay joe »

The "Northwoods" branding is owned by Derrick Bohn who also owns Knivesshipfree (KSF), so the future of this brand is in his hands.
My idea with this thread is to give him some help.
The initial Northwoods knives released by Derrick were interesting patterns with top quality handles, especially, fine mammoth ivory.
More recently the Northwoods resemble a regular GEC knife.
I realize one cannot hit a home run every time and the patterns offered have to be on an existing GEC frame. However they don't have to be close copies of a GEC. There are many blade profiles to choose from and unique combinations of blades & frames can be created as Northwoods.
My hope is that Northwoods becomes the top quality Traditional brand and not drift down to "very nice, but not that special".
If you have a copy of "Levine's Guide To Knives" you can see the great variety of Traditional patterns that have been made in the past. This might show a pattern that really 'grabs' you and you would like to see as a Northwoods.
Please post your ideas for future Northwoods patterns. When we have a bunch of good ideas i will try to get the info to Derrick. I have no connection other than being a KSF customer but i do believe we can help him.
kj
Brumbydownunder

Re: Northwoods Future

Post by Brumbydownunder »

I'll preface this by saying I am in Australia so things my be a little different in the USA.
Here it seems the 'Nothwoods' brand has largely become 'The' trendy brand of choice in the younger Every Day Carry crowd.
You can see that in the mad panic at new release time and the stupid prices on the secondary market.

I see a few Northwoods on the traditional slip joint forums and face book pages I visit which seem to be populated by older demographics (like me ::paranoid:: ) but in the main the original GEC knives are more popular - and obviously there are many more of them anyway.

Derrick Bohn is a shrewd marketer and I cannot see him changing his strategy very much, I bet most future patterns will be targeted at the very lucrative niche market he has created.

kj I think if you would like to see older patterns make a come back the 'New' Maher & Grosh (brand) may be more of a hope than Northwoods.

The one Northwoods pattern I took a shine to was the Madison Barlow but the mad mad prices they command on the secondary market sent me scurrying to the workshop to make my own version from an old Boker TL 29
DSCN6329.JPG
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow Brumby, you are a skilled craftsman !
0300 hrs and in place of sleep i have been looking at my Northwoods knives. The Norfolk & Norfolk Whittler, The Presidential, the Eskie Zulu, all magnificent knives.
In sharp contrast are the recent releases like the Delta Jack, Little Bay & others are so 'ordinary'. There is nothing special about them other than being a strong well made knife just like regular run GEC's.
Northwoods as a high end knife has crashed and will soon 'burn' unless Derrick 'pulls up his socks' and gets back to interesting patterns and top quality handles. No more Micarta especially the ugly 'Burlap Micarta'.
I am lucky to have bought Derrick's early Northwoods because they are special knives.
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote:Wow Brumby, you are a skilled craftsman !
0300 hrs and in place of sleep i have been looking at my Northwoods knives. The Norfolk & Norfolk Whittler, The Presidential, the Eskie Zulu, all magnificent knives.
In sharp contrast are the recent releases like the Delta Jack, Little Bay & others are so 'ordinary'. There is nothing special about them other than being a strong well made knife just like regular run GEC's.
Northwoods as a high end knife has crashed and will soon 'burn' unless Derrick 'pulls up his socks' and gets back to interesting patterns and top quality handles. No more Micarta especially the ugly 'Burlap Micarta'.
I am lucky to have bought Derrick's early Northwoods because they are special knives.
kj
I agree with you 100% on Derrick's older Northwood's. I have a Willamette Whittler in Blood Red Jig Bone. Yeah, jig bone. Great jigging too. Getting hard to remember when there were releases with something other than Micarta, Camel Bone, and Northwood stamped blades. Unfortunately, I don't think we will see anything change if you have a 500 piece SFO that sells out in less than 10 minutes. I hope we will though.
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I sent KSF a link to my post above and asked to please show it to Derrick. I am hoping he brings the Northwoods knives back to their earlier 'glory'.
Enough of just putting in his 'Bohncliffe' blade and calling it a Northwoods.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I hope this isn't a crass subject so soon after Derrick has passed but he did lead Northwoods to wildly popular position in the knife world. Now that he is gone I wonder what effect it will have on the brand? Both new and past patterns?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Not crass at all. I'm sure Derrick's family (wife + 3 daughters) and KSF employees are also wondering what they can do to fill the void created by Derrick's death.
Derrick was an inspired and inspirational 'knifer guy', well suited to providing leadership and new ideas. KSF needs to figure out who among them can best provide the leadership needed to run KSF and to continue the Northwoods brand. Is anyone of them as besotted by knives as Derrick ?
Derrick's passion for knives was infectious and led to a wildly popular business both selling knives and creating new Northwoods knives.
It seems like an impossible act to follow. I hope the Bohn family will consider all KSF employees for potential new leadership in addition to themselves.
For example i have had numerous interactions with "Josh" and every time came away most impressed with his ability to successfully resolve any issue.
My point is that there is talent & ability in the KSF employees that i hope is not over looked.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote:I hope this isn't a crass subject so soon after Derrick has passed but he did lead Northwoods to wildly popular position in the knife world. Now that he is gone I wonder what effect it will have on the brand? Both new and past patterns?
I believe there is a gentleman named Jake at KSF who is the actual designer of the Northwoods knives. The guy in this video mentions him at about 14:25.

https://youtu.be/x_ENGCvsnEI

KSF's new store in Tennessee is up and running full steam ahead. They seem to be dealing with the tragedy head on. My guess is that the Northwoods brand will continue its success just as it has in the recent past. Hope so anyway.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Is there a knife that was already set to be produced? If not, with the passing of their leader and the new move, I wonder how long it will take to get something in the production line? Something like that might take some time.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am bumping up this thread to ask:
1) what do you think the next Northwoods knife will be ?
and
2)What pattern would you like Northwoods to make ?

I don't have any clue as the answer for # 1. But for question 2 i would like to see a clip blade patterned after the Remington 6816 LB Whittler. I have borrowed this picture, a bit blurry but can see the profile i am wanting to see Northwoods use.
Note, not looking for a LB whittler, just this blade in whatever frame they think suitable. That said, a Lock Back Whittler would be outstanding.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (14).jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:I am bumping up this thread to ask:
1) what do you think the next Northwoods knife will be ?
and
2)What pattern would you like Northwoods to make ?

I don't have any clue as the answer for # 1. But for question 2 i would like to see a clip blade patterned after the Remington 6816 LB Whittler. I have borrowed this picture, a bit blurry but can see the profile i am wanting to see Northwoods use.
Note, not looking for a LB whittler, just this blade in whatever frame they think suitable. That said, a Lock Back Whittler would be outstanding.
kj

KJ, I am a broken record on this. We need Northwoods to put their own mark on a Cuttin Horse knife.
This may sound strange for any GEC knife, but I would also love to have one w/ a thumbstud on the main blade. It would be nice to see their interpretation of the Kershaw double cross, clip blade on one end and wharncliffe on the other both w/ thumbstuds on each blade. That would be my new EDC if they would make it.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ssk, yes i remember your desire for a sowbelly stockman and a double end jack with thumbstud. If we can get a few more ideas i could send a note to Mrs. Bohn with our suggestions.
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”