Military watches

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
eveled

Military watches

Post by eveled »

I was wondering if we have any watch experts here? These are two military watches I have a Bullova and an Elgin. I bought them off eBay around 20 years ago. I entered low bids and won. So I have very little invested, and no sentimental value. So don't worry about hurting my feelings. Curious what I really have.
IMG_20180216_181059266.jpg
IMG_20180216_181137959_HDR.jpg
eveled

Re: Military watches

Post by eveled »

Also I'd love to see other military watches you all might have.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice I think you got two treasures there ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

The one thing you can be sure of is that the prices will have increased. I collect British army watches and 60 years ago you could pick them up for £20 - £60 now they range from £1000 to £2500. I don't know about your watches but you could try the The Military Watch Resource forum but don't just ask about price because your post will be ignored. Introduce yourself there are lots of watch collectors state side on the the forum. Post some pictures and ask general questions then put in the for sale bit (you don't have to pay extra for that on there).

Gerry
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thanks Gerry.

They aren't for sale anyway. Was hoping my post would flush out more pictures from others.
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Ah if you want some pictures look no further, i had to have an interest when I stopped the knives.
I'm 69 and this is my dad's Moeris worn during the Airborne invasion of Sicily,Italy and finally Arnhem where he was made POW. The army marks have been rubbed off by dad while waiting transportation to POW camp in Germany and he brought it home in 1945.
It has been restored.
Attachments
_DSC3848.jpg
_DSC3849.jpg
eveled

Post by eveled »

Wow! Super cool watch and great story. It must be a prized possession. Thanks for sharing.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a great story! ::tu:: ::tu::
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Certainly is a prized treasure and it keeps time to about 30sec a day when worn.
I have lots more if you would like to see them but I know this is a knife forum so let me know.
That knife avatar looks familiar Demitri?

Gerry
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I would like to see more watches Gerry ::nod::
GerryD wrote:That knife avatar looks familiar Demitri?
I made that avatar about four years ago, I change them every year or so and decided to use this one again.
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Nearly all my watches are what is known as ATP. Some difference of opinion as to the meaning of ATP but I suspect its either Army time piece or Army temporary pattern. These watches were ordered by the British MOD late 30's and were the mane stay during the war. All should have followed the same specification but there was something lost in translation maybe.
I'll go through them alphabetically so I'm starting with a Buren. Not rare but still hard to come by. As the watches were issued they should have been engraved or stamped with the ATP and crown foot /I\ on the rear case, not all had the serial number. The Buren is one of the larger watches and measures 31mm in diameter, small by todays standard.
Attachments
_DSC3792.jpg
_DSC3793.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Handsome looking knife, did they originally come with a leather band or fabric?
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Originally I think a fabric strap but some had pig skin this of course has a replacement strap. I have seen some on steel adjustable but I doubt if the was WW2 issue. I think the soldiers did change them. The fabric strap fetches £100+ now and are rare as hens teeth.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Wow! £100 ? Amazing!
AAPK Janitor
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

by L=100 is that British pounds sterling? keeps time to around 30 seconds a day. I would prefer +8-10 seconds a day for a military watch. Probably needs serviced. I have enough trouble keeping up with American rail road grade time pieces. :mrgreen:
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

This military watch was only 30sec + or - when it was new and I have serviced it and there were some issues and spare parts are hard if not impossible to find so you have to do the best you can. :D You also have to remember this was made around 1939 and I'm happy if its 2mins +- a day.
Yes thats the sign for pounds sterling.
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

This one of two Cortebert ATP watches I own. This one is interesting because the ATP marks have scores through them and the watch reissued the RAF some time during the WW2 or shortly after the end of hostilities. Its unlikely that any records exist now most being lost or destroyed after the war.
Like knives there are schools of thought to cleaning, I will do the minimum to get it working but leave its "patina" alone, I have resumes in the past but it never looks right to me.
This works now, it was bought as a non runner but I stripped and reoiled and fitted a new main spring.

gerry
Attachments
_DSC3797.jpg
_DSC3798.jpg
_DSC3799.jpg
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

That should read "re lume" not resumes?

Gerry
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

15 jewels is a pretty good watch.
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Dimitri
the 15 jewel movement was one of the specification for an ATP watch but there is one exception (theres always one) that had 17 jewels. Surprisingly though, shock absorbing balance wasn't one, bizarre, but of course there is another exception. The truth of the matter is the British army was desperate for watches and took anything that came from Switzerland.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

That's good to know, fact is over the years I have seen several of these old watches marked ATP and never knew what it meant. I did collect watches for a few years pocket and wrist watches, I never found any really valuable ones but I did like them and still wear old wrist watches on occasion.

I even bought out several boxes from a retired watch mechanic, lots of screws, crystals, etc. I haven't seen those boxes in over a decade! :shock: :lol:
AAPK Janitor
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Thought I would share my Christmas present from my son and daughter.
It's called a Reconvillia and as rare as hens teeth, this one was bought in the late 1940's when the army were getting rid of the old style watches in favour of the Dirty Dozen. Its in unworn condition with the original issue Pig skin one piece strap also as rare as hens teeth.
Attachments
D335E40F-4F5B-4C9D-9AFD-2F73F0F00652.jpg
IMG_0735.jpg
IMG_0739.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Looking through this post I thought I remembered having such a watch in my pile of parts watches and the like and sure enough I did. Pulled the case back off and found it is a 15 jewel Bulova.Doesn't work though;the balance wheel doesn't seem to function;looks like it might be off the pivot points. The case is a bit corroded but the internals seem to be intact. Is it worth having it fixed? Case is stamped "Ord Dept- of 66320 -Bulova Watch Co" in three lines
Attachments
Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 001.jpg
Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 002.jpg
Bulova15JMilitaryWatch 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I would say it is worth repairing but it all depends how much that's going to cost you. I've not got any Bulova but they are good watches and were issued via the USA ordinance dept. Can you take a photo without flask K7K? The numbers would then be legible and i suspect you would be able to get a clearer idea when it was issued.
I like the look of the watch and i would repair it. Since giving up collecting knives I've taught myself how to service and repair to a degree my military watches so if i can get the spares thats the only cost. A quick look on the UK eBay does reveal a market around £100 -200 but you will i suspect see higher retail prices.
The re-enactors is a good market if you decide to sell but I would wear it and see the reaction to an 80 odd year old watch that may have seen action.
Good luck
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

K7K I've just found this thread on MWR looks like its WWII and army ground forces http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthre ... PT-Watches

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”