Marble's Tang Stamp on a 1916 Pat'd. Woodcraft

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Marble's Tang Stamp on a 1916 Pat'd. Woodcraft

Post by conslade »

I picked up this Woodcraft in a batch of knives I bought yesterday. It is stamped with the Pat'd. 1916 U.S.A. stamp, but the stamping on reverse has a right facing serif. I thought all the early knives (pre late 50's) had the left facing serif. Any ideas or information would be appreciated.
SAM_4043.JPG
SAM_4044.JPG
SAM_4046.JPG
We are all smarter than any one of us. Let us learn from each other.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Marble's Tang Stamp on a 1916 Pat'd. Woodcraft

Post by btrwtr »

There is quite a bit of bad information available for dating original Marble's 1970's and earlier knives. The vast majority of the Woodcrafts I have seen have the PAT'D 1916 U.S.A. stamp on the pile side tang so I don't look at this as an indication of anything other than the knife being made sometime after the patent was granted. The size and shape of the handle as well as the materials used are often an indication of the age of the knife. This knife was most likely made after WWII.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

This is merely because the guy who came up with the "left facing slash through the A (it also is NOT a serif) being only on early knives" doesn't know what he is talking about. Anybody can write a book, it doesn't mean that they got all the facts right. Advanced Case collectors know that the tested xx mark on pocket knives did not end in 1940 yet most people still accept this as gospel. I have proof that the Olcut mark by Union Cut is not pre KA-BAR, but ran concurrent with KA-BAR. Facts come to light after old books were written. The guy who wrote that business about the Marble's A was just plain incorrect.
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by conslade »

Thanks Wayne, thanks Gunsil for the quick reply and good answers. I appreciate it.
We are all smarter than any one of us. Let us learn from each other.

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”