Gerber Sharkbelly

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
woodwalker

Gerber Sharkbelly

Post by woodwalker »

Picked this one up today on clearance at Walmart. Made in USA. Thanks for looking. :)
Attachments
20180821_184035.jpg
20180821_183944.jpg
20180821_181851.jpg
20180821_181548.jpg
20180821_181452.jpg
cody6268

Re: Gerber Sharkbelly

Post by cody6268 »

I'll look out for one on my weekly trip to Walmart. I like a sheepsfoot blade.

But, how do those "flat top" serrations cut rope compared to regular serrated knives? I have a CRKT with Veff flat-top serrations, and I have noticed a slight difference, but at least I don't have to have the same hassle sharpening regular serrations.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

cody6268 wrote:I'll look out for one on my weekly trip to Walmart. I like a sheepsfoot blade.

But, how do those "flat top" serrations cut rope compared to regular serrated knives? I have a CRKT with Veff flat-top serrations, and I have noticed a slight difference, but at least I don't have to have the same hassle sharpening regular serrations.
Hi cody. I haven't used it to cut rope yet. Much easier to sharpen with the flat serrations so they say. I am not very good at sharpening and it is scary sharp right out of the box. Cut a cucumber today with it and that's all so far. Very light weight. I really like the Sheepsfoot blade as well. The handles seem kinda cheap but at that price point it's really a very nice knife. I think I am going to like it. Hope you find one as I think it's an excellent knife for the money. :)
MUD

Post by MUD »

Awesome looking knife!!
Haven't got ahold of one yet (they come in fine edge too) but I have heard really good stuff about them.

The only thing about this one and some of Gerber's newer offerings- the wire pocketclip.

I personally think it looks like a cheap afterthought. I have a couple of Milwaukee work knives, same thing. They are now in a pile with the other spare parts I've accumulated.

Love the design otherwise though. Keep me posted on how good it works and holds up.

Gotta love Gerber Goodies
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

MUD wrote:Awesome looking knife!!
Haven't got ahold of one yet (they come in fine edge too) but I have heard really good stuff about them.

The only thing about this one and some of Gerber's newer offerings- the wire pocketclip.

I personally think it looks like a cheap afterthought. I have a couple of Milwaukee work knives, same thing. They are now in a pile with the other spare parts I've accumulated.

Love the design otherwise though. Keep me posted on how good it works and holds up.

Gotta love Gerber Goodies
Thanks MUD!! I agree with your thoughts on the wire pocketclip. Thought the same thing. I have been carrying it since the day I got it. It is a very good knife. So light for such a large cutting surface and you never know it's in your pocket! I do love a GERBER myself. I have a GATER that I have had since 1998. That thing has stood up as my hunting and fishing and backpacking knife. It has been on of the finest knives I have ever purchased. So when I seen this SHARKBELLY I just had to have it! I have read your other posts and know you are the MAN when it comes to all things GERBER and it makes my day to see your post!! Thanks and I hope you find one. I think you would like it! Have a great week!! :)

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”