Help on a crude sword

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Help on a crude sword

Post by edge213 »

I picked up this crude sword at a flea market this weekend.
It appears to be hand made. It has some markings stamped in the blade.
My guess this was made in Pakistan (just a guess).
I realize it's a worthless trinket, but it only cost me $10 and I found it a little interesting.
Any information would be appreciated.
31 on overall, 20 in blade
Attachments
20180819_210930.jpg
20180819_210812.jpg
20180819_210809.jpg
20180819_210249.jpg
20180819_210300.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help on a crude sword

Post by edge213 »

Bump
David
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Looks like you stumped us David. It is unusual.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I guess so dog, I know it has me stummped.
David
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

Grip appears to be round, or turned - if this is the case - it's not a serious sword. probably made for the export / tourist / souvenir trade. A sword needs a grip that is generally oval, or rectangular or oblong in shape, - this orients the cutting edge to your hand grip - and the long axis of the grip is usually on a plane with the blade. You will find some mid-eastern swords with the long axis of the grip at right angles to the blade, but these also orient the cutting edge, so you are aware of where the edge is at all times. With a round grip, it is very easy to misalign the blade with your cutting stroke, and a misalignment of as little two or three degrees can result in a poorly executed cut, or one that in altogether inneffective. Some types of swords are ONLY made for thrusting or piercing attacks, this type of weapon can be effective with a round grip. (Think of the difference between an icepick and carving knife here.) As to origin, may be Pakistan, India, Nepal, Tibet, anyone's guess.
That being said, I would buy these all day long at that price - and use 'em for cutting brush in my own personal jungle. Good buy!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It strikes me as Malay. Just an impression. Intended as a decorative and/or tourist item for all the reasons wizrd laid out.
abrowe

Post by abrowe »

Hello edge, I cannot verify the authenticity but it appears to be a Burmese dha sword. Pete
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

abrowe wrote:Hello edge, I cannot verify the authenticity but it appears to be a Burmese dha sword. Pete
I think Pete may be on to something here.My first thought was Filipino but most of their larger blades(especially the touristy ones)are usually marked "Phillippines" in letters made with a center punch. The end of the scabbard I have seen somewhere before but can't recall exactly where.Looks like a decent blade and you definitely didn't go wrong for the price! ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”