Northwoods Harrison Bay

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Northwoods Harrison Bay

Post by kootenay joe »

I just received notification from KSF that a new Northwoods, the Harrison Bay, will be released Oct. 4, 2018 at 4 pm Eastern time.
It is a 3" regular jack. Blade is a spear point with some rough black left towards spine and stamped "Northwoods". Handle choices look ordinary. There could be a kudu bone ?
I would say it is now fair to see Northwoods as another well made GEC. The earlier Northwoods were also well made GEC knives but the patterns were more interesting and the handle materials more special such as mammoth and giraffe bone.
No doubt there will be a scramble (of sheep ?) at 4 pm Oct. 4th at the KSF Northwoods page. I don't mind because i don't think i will try this time.
I don't want another small jack with a spear point blade. GEC has made a lot of these in last few months: # 14 at 3" size and # 15 at 3 1/2".
Northwoods is sinking.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Northwoods Harrison Bay

Post by Railsplitter »

I'll be sitting it out but they look OK.
Attachments
northwoods-harrison-bay.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

The smallish 14 pattern just doesn't move me, but otherwise it's a fine knife. I too will skip the mad dash for these.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Yeah, I will be sitting out as well. I am however surprised that there is a Jigged Bone. It's been a while since we have seen anything jigged.
-Tim
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I’ll be sitting out as well, they look a bit strange to me. Too much of a good thing really. Barehead would’ve been a better idea on these.
Love all Jacks
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The jigged bone doesn't look bad! I'll be interested to see the prices. These knives are so small it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I didn't get one.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1538599491026.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Interesting that the jigged bone knife looks better and blade wider in the picture above compared with the group picture.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I forgot about this and then checked to Northwoods page at about 1730 hrs Eastern time and there were no Northwoods knives for sale.
GEC must be making Case jealous as all heck: make a plain knife (not even a threaded bolster) and sell 100% of inventory in 10 minutes. Online cocaine wouldn't sell any faster.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

These lasted a bit longer than the last two. 17 minutes by my count.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Well I guessed they would last about that long. My guess was around 20 minutes.
Love all Jacks
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I missed out on the red jig bone but I did pick up a kudu bone and an orange curacao micarta.
Attachments
northwoods-harrison-bay-kudu-62__77170.1538593093.jpg
northwoods-harrison-bay-4__31878.1538588669.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I picked up a red jigged bone. The red jigged and denim micarta were gone before the 3 minute mark. I was a little surprised at the $200 tag on the kudo bone. Doesn't seem like a $60 or $70 premium to me. They are beautiful tho.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

robbobus wrote:I picked up a red jigged bone. The red jigged and denim micarta were gone before the 3 minute mark. I was a little surprised at the $200 tag on the kudo bone. Doesn't seem like a $60 or $70 premium to me. They are beautiful tho.
robbobus I was more excited about the spear point than any of the handle materials. That bohncliffe was getting a bit tiresome. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I didn’t participate this time around. I already see listings on eBay starting at $375 the same day as Northwoods released them. This greed driven behavior probably shouldn’t irritate me, but it does.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2477355954
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

RalphAlsip wrote:I didn’t participate this time around. I already see listings on eBay starting at $375 the same day as Northwoods released them. This greed driven behavior probably shouldn’t irritate me, but it does.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2477355954
I agree Jerry. I had a slight hiccup in my first attempt and by the time I got that corrected all of the red jig and denim micarta were gone which is what I was targeting. I noticed there was a limit of one handle material per household on this run .Has that been there before? Nevertheless it quite irritating to see people who are only concerned with profit securing knives that they care little about.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Greg, those would’ve been the ones I would’ve chosen too!
Love all Jacks
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

I do like this pattern but all these NWs are just flat out flipable. I doubt a person would ever have a problem making money off a NW or not find it to be desirable as trade-bait. At any rate, I keep coming back. on that note; I've heard all the horror stories about the impossibility of getting an order in in time, etc. For the record and it completely surprised the heck out of me, I scored a Kudu on my phone..on the side of the highway about a mile north of Lampasas, Tx. I figured I'd give it a quick shot and I probably needed a breather from driving anyway. I really wanted red jigged bone but didn't even see one listed, all Kudus even though I was refreshing the page as they popped up. Anyhow, got one on my second attempt and I was back on the road in a matter of 5 mns, turnkey.
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Cletus, I wonder if your sort order is set for hughest price to lowest at ksf? I'm set lowest to highest and the first 4boxes were the micartas, then red bone and then 4 pages of kudo bone.

I checked and my order confirmation, came at 1 minute past the hour and the red was gone a short minute later.
Cletus Awreetus

Rob, you're probably right about that. I just can't say as navigating the process on the phone (my first time) vs a pc is a whole different animal. For all I know the Reds were gone before I ever got logged in. I did scroll as quickly as I could thru 5 pages, all Kudus. At that point I just added to cart and went to the credit card which as we all know is much quicker than paypal. By the way, do you have the count for each finish? Surely they released many more in Kudu than the others..?
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Cletus Awreetus

ta da! the Kudu Bone on this one is much prettier, imo, than the Bear Lake I received. I'm sure it was just mine but it wasn't like there's a lot of time to critique each knife during the frenzy. I really like this one!
Attachments
Harrison Bay 2.JPG
Harrison Bay 1.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's a nice one Cletus! ::tu:: Very pretty color.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Cletus Awreetus

thx Greg. yeah, the kudu's growing on me but I'm with you on the red jigged bone. I really wanted that one but no complaints. tell you what, ain't seen one pop up on ebay yet so we're not alone...
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Cletus Awreetus wrote:thx Greg. yeah, the kudu's growing on me but I'm with you on the red jigged bone. I really wanted that one but no complaints. tell you what, ain't seen one pop up on ebay yet so we're not alone...
I saw one on there starting at $300 . I wonder if the number of each handle material is the same or if one is rarer than another. They sure got gone quick.I see mine have been delivered but I'm no where close to home so I'll have to wait a while to check mine out.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Several Harrison Bays were listed today 10/9/2018 on eBay. This was probably the day they got delivered to the buyers. My unscientific estimate is that at least 25% of the Northwoods knives sold by KSF are bought by flippers vs collectors.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What was the KSF price ? If i look at a 'flipper' i want to know how much he is wanting for himself.
kj
Edit to ask: is the blade full saber grind ?

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”