Fleam

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
tjmurphy

Fleam

Post by tjmurphy »

This is a G. Gregory fleam, horn handles, chipped but still solid. Don't know the age, but pretty old - Civil War? Let's see some more.
G. Gregory Fleam.jpg
G. Gregory Fleam.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
smiling-knife

Re: Fleam

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice Fleam. Probably from about that time. Here is another set. :) s-k

Rust Never Sleeps
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Nice one S-K. They look exactly alike except you have one more blade and still have polish on the blades. Did you happen to see Orvet's comments in Knife Lore - Old and Obscure Brands?
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here are two Borwick fleams. Goin's states Borwick England 1791-1860 with very little history of owners named Borwick.

I've never owned a fleam in my life, I thought they were mildly interesting because they were of a cutlery nature.
Most seemed kind of rough. Not these. These are very nicely made as are others in this thread that I just found.
No spring on these. Blades freely but firmly, rotate on a pivot. Polished horn. Brass backcover.

In two posts. First is the larger of the two. 3 1/2". ........ second fleam is 3".

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN3569.JPG
DSCN3573.JPG
DSCN3575.JPG
DSCN3581.JPG
DSCN3583.JPG
DSCN3586.JPG
DSCN3587.JPG
DSCN3590.JPG
DSCN3594.JPG
DSCN3596.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Second Borwick fleam. 3 inches.
Attachments
DSCN3546.JPG
DSCN3548.JPG
DSCN3550.JPG
DSCN3552.JPG
DSCN3555.JPG
DSCN3557.JPG
DSCN3563.JPG
DSCN3565.JPG
DSCN3567.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

The two Borwick fleams.
Attachments
DSCN3597.JPG
DSCN3600.JPG
DSCN3603.JPG
Joe
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I clicked on this because I didn't know what a fleam was...now I've seen pics, I still don't know what it is
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Beautiful old pieces of cutlery but I'm with you SMH, are they carpentry tools or some kind of scribes? Help us out Joe ::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

It's a lancet used primarily by veterinarians for bloodletting. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleam
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Ahh, thank you Steve!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
wlf

Post by wlf »

And you know they have to be pretty old.

Beautiful horn handles on some rare pieces Joe the knife miner.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

wlf wrote: Beautiful horn handles on some rare pieces Joe the knife miner.
:lol: I grin ........... I laugh .......

Thanks Lyle, and others who commented. ::tu::

These are veterinary tools as I understand them. Blood letting. I'm glad we're past that. ::paranoid::
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I missed you sneak these in here Joe - Nice :D - they are in great shape and Borwick made many of them ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I have a similar horn handled fleam but no makers mark though it looks exactly the same as your bigger lighter horn handled fleam (but mine has a few bug bites in the horn) - same exact birds-eye pivot pin too for the blades - and no springs to worry about given they were all friction folders - My fleam was a local score from an estate and was supposedly carried in the Civil War by one of their ancestors who was an officer in the Union army and part of the CT regiment (there were other Civil War items from the same individual) -- Fleams also came in all brass handled models and others were made with a spring action mechanism - don't have one of the latter but essentially you hit a lock which releases a spring-loaded blade which subsequently hits the target (usually some type of infection or boil :shock: - I'll leave the further details to your imagination but do believe all fleams were more for veterinarian use than for humans as was noted earlier in this thread and especially for horses :) ... The first time I handled a spring-loaded fleam I almost hit the lock when the seller warned me to be careful - if I had hit it before his warning I would have had first hand experience as to how it worked the hard way :lol: . . Nothing like a little blood letting to relieve your blood pressure :lol: ......

Interestingly I have heard old fly tiers from the mid 1800s used fleams for cutting thread etc and as a fly tying tool ::nod:: ... in those days fly tiers tools were often repurposed items and scissors were usually from their wive's sewing boxes :lol:

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Lee.
I was wondering if you were familiar with Borwick. I'm glad you have something like these. ::tu::
I'm also glad you didn't "fleam" yourself with the spring action one. ::woot::

These are pretty cool. I'm impressed with them. ::nod::
Joe
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Fascinating. Great cutlery skills being used to make tools for bloodletting. There's a lot to learn about these sharp things in general. ::td::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I believe that the good surgeons used one or more of these to finish off one of my personal heroes, President and General George Washington. I assume that you all know that they have revived the practice of using leeches and maggots in modern medicine?

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”