Barteaux

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
MUD

Barteaux

Post by MUD »

I'll post in fixed blades as well but figured this is the closest I can get. Seeing as they are semi related in design and location.
And the Murphy connection.

Barteaux bird and trout knife and camp/skinner knife with original sheaths.
IMG_20180617_065813205.jpg
Got em from a feller that's associated with the OKCC Oregon Knife Collectors Club). Ain't they purtyer than a speckled pup
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
MUD

Re: Barteaux

Post by MUD »

The name of the club isn't what I posted, it's OKCA. But in my defense (and stupidity) he told me Oregon knife collectors club. I'll admit, I was a herdanimal there.

Please disregard the information on the previous post and feel free to throw stuff and call me names.

But on a serious note if anyone has more into that I haven't put here or in the fixed blade thread, please add to this and/or shoot me a line. Besides the small amount of info I've posted on these, there is nothing to be found on Barteaux knives.

Thank you in advance. These are great Oregon made knives that kinda go along with the history of Gerber. I'd love to learn as much as possible about them.
My name is Mud,
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

What's the chance this Barteaux co. is the same company that currently makes hand forged machetes ? In Fla. found in Home Depot etc..
MUD

Post by MUD »

TazmanTom18 wrote:What's the chance this Barteaux co. is the same company that currently makes hand forged machetes ? In Fla. found in Home Depot etc..

Howdo sir
They're one and the same. From what I understand, Barteaux and sons stopped production a few years back and are no longer in business. I could be wrong though.

It been a real adventure finding any information. Between the little posted on this thread and the one I posted on the fixed blade thread, information is practically non-existent.

I have read that the Barteaux brothers shared a shop with David Z. Murphy until they had a falling out (seems to be a trend) and they actually worked for Gerber Legendary Blades right after production started back up after WW2.

Thank you for checking them out.
If you find one of their machetes, holler at me. The only ones I've seen at the Depot are the ones made by Gerber and Fiskars (same thing just different colors).
If you have any information or know someone who does, let me know or post it please. Like I said, it's scarce and very hard to come by.

Have a good weekend
My name is Mud,
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Mud,

In about 2002, or so, I made the rounds of all the cutlery companies located in the Portland area. I had an uncle that lived in Portland and he knew where Barteaux was located. My uncle was a refrigeration engineer for Rhodes Bread, and I believe he'd had some work-related connection to Barteaux. At the time of our visit, Barteaux's production was intermittent, and on the day of our visit there was only one young man at the facility. We got a tour of the old building, and the most memorable things we saw were several shelves of old Gerber handle molds. As I recall, they were all Murphy-style. I tried my hardest to purchase some, but couldn't convince him to part with even one. I did purchase a new orange handled hunting knife, but it has long-since been traded away. I made some notes and had a few photos from the visit, but unfortunately I can't locate them.
MUD

Post by MUD »

Case V42 wrote:Mud,

In about 2002, or so, I made the rounds of all the cutlery companies located in the Portland area. I had an uncle that lived in Portland and he knew where Barteaux was located. My uncle was a refrigeration engineer for Rhodes Bread, and I believe he'd had some work-related connection to Barteaux. At the time of our visit, Barteaux's production was intermittent, and on the day of our visit there was only one young man at the facility. We got a tour of the old building, and the most memorable things we saw were several shelves of old Gerber handle molds. As I recall, they were all Murphy-style. I tried my hardest to purchase some, but couldn't convince him to part with even one. I did purchase a new orange handled hunting knife, but it has long-since been traded away. I made some notes and had a few photos from the visit, but unfortunately I can't locate them.

If you ever happen to find them I'd definitely be interested in seeing them.
They're excellent knives and the Murphy/Gerber connection I definitely there. If they weren't for my kids when I leave here I'd surely use the bird& trout this year during dove season (or what's left of it. Subdivisions have taken over all the places I used to hunt done and bobwhites when I was growing up).

Growth is inevitable I reckon.

Thank you sir.

Have a great Independence Day (or what's left.... Nope, no religion or politics).

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.
My name is Mud,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here is a Barteaux machete I traded away at the Oregon show this year.
Barteaux machete.jpg
Barteaux handle.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I have owned a number of Barteuax knives including a double knife sheath set and one knife that appeared to be a Murphy Combat knife with the the name on the handle obscured. I have a letter from young Dave Murphy stating that Frank Barteaux would come to his father's shop looking for scrap of any kind he could use to make his knives. At that time young Dave's job was to do whatever he could to occupy and get rid of Frank.

Though somewhat obscure I believe that Barteaux knives are often overlooked. Especially given what I think is the historical value of the knives.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
MUD

Post by MUD »

btrwtr wrote:I have owned a number of Barteuax knives including a double knife sheath set and one knife that appeared to be a Murphy Combat knife with the the name on the handle obscured. I have a letter from young Dave Murphy stating that Frank Barteaux would come to his father's shop looking for scrap of any kind he could use to make his knives. At that time young Dave's job was to do whatever he could to occupy and get rid of Frank.

Though somewhat obscure I believe that Barteaux knives are often overlooked. Especially given what I think is the historical value of the knives.

Thank you sir.
I've searched the interweb and there's hardly anything about Barteaux or Murphy. It's good that a few folks like yourself have more than just words on paper. I only need a couple of Murphy's knives to have the 'Portland trifecta'.

I gotta agree with you about 'being overlooked'. I've used the kitchen knife and it's a slicer n dicer for sure. One of the hardest knives I've ever sharpened to get the edge back.
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

orvet wrote:Here is a Barteaux machete I traded away at the Oregon show this year.

Barteaux machete.jpg
Barteaux handle.jpg

Mr. Dale,

If you ever have anything else you want to trade off or sell, holler at me.
My name is Mud,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Wayne,
I heard a similar story about Frank Barteaux. Someone told me Barteaux would go over to Murphy shop frequently to scrounge for used sanding belts that he could then use to make his knives and machetes.
I guess if he was looking for used belts, it stands to reason he would be looking for scrap steel as well. ::shrug::

I can't remember who told me that story, but I believe it was someone here in Oregon and as I recall it was first-hand information.
The older I get the more I identify with the saying; "Of all the things I've lost, I missed my mind the most." ::dang::

It was probably 10 years ago that I put together a list of knife companies in Oregon, aside from those who made industrial knives like those used in plywood mills. I had Barteaux listed on that list but when I checked it appears that their webpages no longer operational, however they do still have a Facebook page up though it hasn't been very active for a few years.
https://www.facebook.com/Barteauxmachete

I looked around Barteaux's Facebook page and found some pictures of ancient machinery, which I suppose was in their factory when they were posted in September 2014.
Barteaux machinery 1.jpg
Barteaux machinery 2.jpg
Barteaux machinery 3.jpg
Barteaux machinery 4.jpg
Barteaux machinery 5.jpg
Barteaux machinery 6.jpg

Besides a few pictures of machinery listed on Barteaux’s Facebook page I found the following post dated January 12, 2015:

"Barteaux Machetes closeout sale!!!
Barteaux Machetes are no longer being manufactured. We are selling the remaining inventory at ridiculous prices. They are made in Portland, OR with high-quality spring steel and polypropylene injection molded handles. We have thousands to sell many different styles. Feel free to ask questions. Thank you."

Beneath that was posted a link to an eBay page which is no longer functional.

I did find some information on their eBay site, but feedback listed were for sales “more than a year ago.”
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI. ... nterval=30

With such ancient looking machinery in their factory I am not surprised that they closed. The machinery looks old enough that it I imagine it was very inefficient to operate by today's standards, and probably quite expensive to maintain. And with the plethora of imported machetes especially those made in El Salvador by Condor I have no doubt Barteaux had trouble being competitive in the marketplace.

Another sad chapter in American cutlery history. ::tear::

Mud,
I think I will be watching for more Barteaux knives and machetes. I think a friend of mine had one at the flea market that has that wire ring at the end of the handle. I will have to pay more attention to the aluminum handle knives that I see in the flea markets from now on. There were many of them made here in the Willamette Valley in the last 75 years. Besides Murphy (father and son), Barteaux, and Gerber there was a company called Aycock Knives here in Salem Oregon where I live. As far as I know they are still in business, their website appears to be functional, but I have did not see them at the state fair last time I was there. Admittedly I haven't been there for a few years.

When you go to a flea market in this area of Oregon, (I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country), you see a lot of knives with aluminum handles that can be Gerber, Murphy, Barteaux, Aycock or any of 100 different imported brands. Sometimes you can spend half of your time sorting through aluminum handled knives looking for something valuable. To add to the frustration, the Aycock knives are most common and really do not bring much in resale value. My wife and I have some, because we both grew up seeing them in our mothers and grandmothers kitchens. Even the nice Gerber carving sets in the beautiful Walnut boxes usually do not bring many dollars when you try to sell them. I have two or three Gerber carving sets that I don't even bother putting in my store because they cost more to ship than I can usually get for the set.
I have found Gerber, Murphy and Barteaux knives in the flea markets but they are sometimes difficult to distinguish from the Aycock knives and all of the important stuff. Gerber and Murphy are a little more distinct in their handle styles are better known, at least to me, so it's easier to pick them out but I haven't seen that many Barteaux knives to know what design to look for in the handle castings. It can sometimes be confusing. ::uc::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

MUD

Post by MUD »

Mr. Dale,
The pictures of the Barteaux factory are awesome. It'd be nice to be able to stroll through and smell the history.

The machete would've looked so much better here in Georgia with me 8) .
I've saw a couple of their newer, plastic d-ring machetes for sale. Wasn't quick enough to snag one, but not one of the aluminum handled ones. I'm guessing they swapped over in the late 60s-early 70s. The stamp looks exactly like the one on my kitchen knife.
IMG_20170505_074938317.jpg
As far as the rest of the country (here in Georgia anyway) flea markets are kinda a dead end. The last few times I've gone, newer Gerber stuff all day. Older stuff is practically non existent. I've got lucky a couple of times at Goodwill and stores like it (found a Case butcher knife that needed lots of love for $2). Other than that, yard sales!! That's the honeyhole.

My wife will surely want me to thank you for turning me onto a new brand I don't need but gotta have ::ds::

Never heard of Aycock before. Blows that whole 'Portland trifecta' thing slap outta the water and adds a new twist. I went to the website. They forgot to put anything on the price page, but they have great looking knives.

The handles have got that 'treebark' look the some of the Barteaux knives and both Barteaux and Murphy have on their combat knives from WW2. I'll most definitely be on the lookout for some of the older ones, and shoot em an email about prices and hopefully not have an anuerysm.

The Portland 4 are definitely related. Maybe not close kin, but they sure have common ancestors somewhere in the past. It'd be cool to know the how's and why's on that.

Maybe one day.
My name is Mud,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

When you say Portland 4, I am not sure which 4 you mean.
Murphy, Barteaux and Gerber are directly connected through Murphy as we have seen. Pete Kershaw & Al Mar worked for Gerber so that continues the lineage.

When Benchmade started, Les de Asis came up from California and brought Jody Sampson, Eric and another fellow named John as I recall. When I first met them they were still setting up their facility in Clackamas, Oregon. They independent and not directly connected to the other companies.
Then came Columbia River Knife &Tool. I was told by Jennifer (I think that was her name) that CRKT was started by people from Gerber, Kershaw & Benchmade. Jennifer used to call me every month when she worked for Kershaw to get my order when I managed the cutlery store. Last I saw her she was working for CRKT.

Coast Cutlery is a distributor in Portland that may even predate Gerber, but I would need to research that date a bit more.

Two other companies, Lone Wolf knives from Wilsonville and William Henry Knives from McMinnville may or may not be connected. Lone Wolf was purchased by Benchmade a few years ago, so I guess these companies are like plants growing close together, their roots are all intertwined.

I am not certain regarding Aycock if anyone went from there to any of the Portland companies or not. But remember, these companies are within about 50 miles of each other, so it is an easy commute and like any other skilled trade, employees often move between companies for better job opportunities.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

MUD

Post by MUD »

Gerber, Aycock, Murphy and Barteaux. Sorry, I forget sometimes that I'm the only one in my head. And 4 dustbunnies.

Had a feller tell me one time that my mind is a terrible thing, sorta playing off the.coercial that used to be on T.V. about a mind of a terrible thing to waste..

Don't mind him, he's just drunk.
My name is Mud,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Indeed, a mind is a terrible thing to waste!
In like manner, a waste is a terrible thing to mind! ::teary_eyes::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Madmanjc78

Post by Madmanjc78 »

Hey guys, new here. Wondering if I can hop on this thread about a barteuax knife I picked up at a yard sale. Or do I need to find something in fixed blades. Thanks
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Absolutely, join on in. Welcome aboard! ::welcome::
We're really not very formal around here. And we love pictures of knives! I've had two or three Barteaux machetes but none of their knives, although one of the ones MUD post it looks familiar.

Gerber, Murphy & Barteaux are sort of connected. I haven't seen any connection from Aycock to Murphy or Barteaux, or even Gerber for that matter but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Madmanjc78

Post by Madmanjc78 »

Much appreciated and thanks for the welcome! Here's some pics. Seems to be factory edge, not a scratch on her.
20181009_195404.jpg
20181009_195414.jpg
20181009_195634.jpg
20181009_195730.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice looking knife.
Is there a date engraved on the handle?
I can't quite make it out, what does the engraving say?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Madmanjc78

Post by Madmanjc78 »

orvet wrote:Nice looking knife.
Is there a date engraved on the handle?
I can't quite make it out, what does the engraving say?
Yes, it says (4-5-26 to Gene from E P H)
And thank you!
MUD

Post by MUD »

Madmanjc78 wrote:Much appreciated and thanks for the welcome! Here's some pics. Seems to be factory edge, not a scratch on her.

20181009_195404.jpg20181009_195414.jpg20181009_195634.jpg20181009_195730.jpg

That's a fine looking knife!!!!
It's a very rare sight to see. Don't run across em very often, and if you like em and see one...Get ii before I can. :D

Seriously, a beautiful knife. Thanks for posting and welcome.
My name is Mud,
Madmanjc78

Post by Madmanjc78 »

Thanks Mud...Love Primus btw, grew up on that stuff! So not being that many out there to gather some info on, any ideas what it might be worth?
MUD

Post by MUD »

Madmanjc78 wrote:Thanks Mud...Love Primus btw, grew up on that stuff! So not being that many out there to gather some info on, any ideas what it might be worth?

Bubba, you the first one that's caught what I'm pitching!!!!!

Les is the most bad@$$ bassist that I've ever heard!!
If you've never seen em live, ya got to. I missed Pantera, then
Dimebag got killed ...
Was going to see Hell Yeah in Atlanta when they were gonna play... Vinnie Paul dies of a massive heart attack.

Never wait, do it NOW!!! Whatever it is.

You got me on a complete tangent there, surprised me with the whole grew up thing.

We gotta talk, seriously. I'm a little older, but the ol lady really don't want to go to any concerts anymore.
'You're too old to be trying to do what you sit 30 years ago'
Hey I ain't too old ta get in the PIT!!! I saw the birth of that baby!!! HAHAHAHA

Now back to the question.

I honestly have no idea.
I'll tell you the two I posted were CHEEP!
Compared to what I've seen similar knives listed for.
My name is Mud,

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”