Buck Fixed Blades

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
XX Case XX

Buck Fixed Blades

Post by XX Case XX »

I was wondering something about Buck fixed blades such as the 102, 105, 118, etc. For those who have used them in real life situations like hunting, camping, etc. How well do Bucks stand up against other "higher end" fixed blades like Bark River, Fiddleback Forge, LT Wright, and so forth.

Do you think Buck fixed blades get the respect they deserve? ::shrug:: Their current design has been aroung for a long time.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Re: Buck Fixed Blades

Post by tongueriver »

My 102 and 121 have treated me very well since maybe about 1980. They are my go-to for handling game such as deer, from the field to the freezer. I sometimes use other knives for this, but the Bucks are my old friends. I regard them highly.
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I think the buck fixies are defiantly under appreciated. All the ones I've ever had and used were great. There even offering some now in 5160 and D2 steels. There is a company called copper and clad that have a lot of sfo's made in different handle materials and blade steels, If you have a hankering for something a little different than the usual black and 420hc.
Eye Brand Collector
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Stand up to what? Abuse like using them for pry bars, throwing them or pounding them through a elk pelvis with a rock? The elk pelvis could be justified in a pinch but I prefer a light weight saw. Other wise the question gets back to edge retention, which is better than advocates of expensive harder stainless steels want to acknowledge, ease of sharpening and slicing. Camillus' 1095 knives and Case's CV knives are easier to sharpen but part of that is due to their blades being thinner near the edge. Hollywood fantasies aside the 121 is the best of the 100 series because it is the only one that is thin enough to slice through cheese well. My early 1970s 119, and 105 have been very good knives. Their relatively light weight construction is a huge benefit on long hikes. When you are hiking 60 miles the stronger full tang knives are not worth their weight the same as a brass and wood handled 119 would not be worth its weight. My more recently purchased 121 has been good for the limited amount it has been used. If you are gifting a knife to a teenager who you expect will try throwing it at James Bond's calendar than logically a softer blade will stand up better but for those with a brain Buck's 420HC stands up for a lifetime.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Modern does not necessarily equate to better design,the 100 series fixed blades are proven,I have wandered to Bark River and the like ,I FIND MYSELF GOING BACK TO THE OLD RELIABLES....
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I’ve been using the Buck 100 series for cleaning wild game for years; 440C, 425MOD, 420HC - all work well. I’ve used the Buck 102 (waterfowl and other birds), 105, 117, 118 (deer and other mammal), 121 (fish and wild turkey). I used a 117 for a whitetail for the first time last week. These knives work and work well - all a fixed blade has to do is stay sharp and cut where you need them to cut - blade size and design simply helps with the particular size game you are cleaning and the physical characteristics of that game. I’d start with a 118 if you are going to skin and cut up a whitetail (or mule deer, antelope, etc.). OH
Attachments
BF129108-8F3F-4EAB-B2E6-0DAE8B8FEE14.jpeg
17FEFB85-ADA3-42F3-8F5E-0030FDA9D8A0.jpeg
E37490D3-C96C-40D8-A18B-6342D12FBF09.jpeg
F4F9E5D4-288D-452B-835F-CC2FBF1FC5D9.jpeg
4DECA86C-8FFE-48B9-BC9F-D2F5B1C6423D.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Old Hunter wrote: I’d start with a 118 if you are going to skin and cut up a whitetail (or mule deer, antelope, etc.). OH
OH:

Am I seeing the knife in the 3rd photo correctly? That looks like a 118, ONE-LINER. It looks pristine!!! Is that what it really is?

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

[quote="pounding them through a elk pelvis with a rock? The elk pelvis could be justified in a pinch [/quote]
Nobody I know EVER cuts or hacks through the pubic arch on any game animal unless and until it is time to quarter an elk or moose, and NEVER on deer-size game. A person just about has to do it on those big boys to get them out of the woods and/or get them cooled out. Otherwise it just plays havoc with the tools and gets meat dirty. When I was 12 years old and my first year of hunting, my Dad attempted to work a stockman knife blade into the suture of the pubic arch on a small mule deer, and broke the blade. I have quit trying to split the sternum on deer-size game also, and for the same reasons. Sorry about highjacking this thread. Love my BUCKs.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

XX Case XX wrote:
Old Hunter wrote: I’d start with a 118 if you are going to skin and cut up a whitetail (or mule deer, antelope, etc.). OH
OH:

Am I seeing the knife in the 3rd photo correctly? That looks like a 118, ONE-LINER. It looks pristine!!! Is that what it really is?

Mike, That is indeed a one line Buck 118, in very good shape, has used up about 15% of the blade in the last 50 years, but should see me through my journey! Good knives, I highly recommend that model - fantastic all around hunters fixed blade knife. OH
Ps. I own a good half dozen Buck 118 knives, a two line I bought several years ago from Cal is my #1 favorite.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Old Hunter wrote: I own a good half dozen Buck 118 knives, a two line I bought several years ago from Cal is my #1 favorite.
That's a great looking knife OH. I have NEVER seen a one-liner that looks that good. My my. I have a pre-86 118 that I bought in 1984. Still have it. Great knife. Thanks for posting photos of your Bucks. ::tu:: ::nod::

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You are welcome Mike and thank you for the compliment on my knife. Stick around with us here - we love to talk about and show off Bucks. OH
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC04936.JPG
BUCK 107.. The only pic I have of any of my BUCK FBs.. ::facepalm:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You picked a good one to take a picture of John! Very nice. OH
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Thank You Bruce!!! ::handshake:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
eveled

Post by eveled »

My one and only gripe about Buck fixed blade knives, is the lack of solder or any other means to fill the gap between the blade and guard. But it is understandable at the price point.

I highly recommend getting them all.
IMG_20180712_101717677_HDR-2624x1968.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Ed, I had forgotten just how nice your Cherrywood handle collection of Buck 100 series was - those are beautiful - glad I stumbled across this thread again! OH
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This is my one and only Buck fixed blade knife. A Buck 119 that I bought new in 2004. It does have the original sheath, just not pictured.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
eveled

Post by eveled »

Old Hunter wrote:Ed, I had forgotten just how nice your Cherrywood handle collection of Buck 100 series was - those are beautiful - glad I stumbled across this thread again! OH
Thanks OH. I’ve always enjoyed your action shots cleaning animals. I don’t do enough of that.

The Cherrywood thing started because I needed a caper to complete my 100 series set. Buck put both the Caper and the Skinner on their web special page so I had to have them. Both high polish. They really go together. Then as they became available I bought each one.
I have a Cherrywood 212 on the way now.

I’m also working on a Stag set now but it is slow going. They just aren’t releasing new models with stag handles. Probably good for my bank account.
eveled

Post by eveled »

DF7CD6DB-D4C3-4CFD-AEBC-FE73C7E3B83F.jpeg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice 119 NWNY, you're on your way!

Yeah, the stag handled are tough, my only one is a 120 from the early 1980's. The Cherrywood series is a nice combination of red and and natural materials that really compliment the clean lines of the 100 series. OH
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm glad this thread popped back up. I missed it the first time. Love seeing those Buck fixed blades. Thanks for sharing them guys. ::tu::

Here's a display I fixed up with some of my Buck fixed blade knives. I just might have to add one of those 117s. :wink:
Attachments
IMG_5850.JPG
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
eveled

Post by eveled »

Thats a nice display Phil. Definitely grab a 117. It’s a sweet knife. Not too big not too small. It fits perfectly between the 102 and 119.
F88695BA-33D7-4F81-A7E6-9C1948F175C2.jpeg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice Phil and Ed - now you gents need a 212 in addition to a 117! The new models keep coming! OH
Attachments
2CC6F0BE-9066-4BAA-9624-2949E4129C63.jpeg
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’ve been using a 212 for a couple of months now. Except for it’s sweeping grind it’s a great knife. I corrected mine by adding a wide but shallow sharpening choil. Which is a great place to strike a ferry rod.
298A2878-3C77-4D79-84C7-587328F96098.jpeg
I have the jigged Buffalo one, Red Lucite, Cherrywood, and elk versions. I don’t have the black phenolic one yet
eveled

Post by eveled »

Sorry this is a better shot of the choil.
EB78A812-CE5B-4392-BA80-9C819C10663E.jpeg

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”