Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Meridian_Mike

Re: Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Miller Bro's wrote: Here's a giant.
Well..... I recon so!

MAN, what a knife! I bet that joker can cut off a big ole limb.
(even a human limb if you aint careful......)

Mike
:shock:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
BWT

Post by BWT »

George Butler picked this up a couple of weeks ago and never posted it.
Attachments
20181106_141526.jpg
20181106_141537.jpg
20181106_141559.jpg
Bill
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Nice one Bill, looks like as had little use.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks John, I have thought about cleaning it a little.
Bill
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Miller Bro's wrote:Here's a giant.
Dimitri, I have almost the same knife except an inch shorter and horn scales. Mine has "Vincent" over a line dash line, and then a last name I can't read that looks like FKRRAB--. I've never been able to figure out the name of country. I have a number of smaller ones with no name and without steel liners, some lockbacks and some slip joints. I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that they were French and possibly Italian. ___Dave
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

BWT wrote:George Butler picked this up a couple of weeks ago and never posted it.
Bill, that's a beauty love the horn handles ::tu:: 8)
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

djknife13 wrote:Dimitri, I have almost the same knife except an inch shorter and horn scales. Mine has "Vincent" over a line dash line, and then a last name I can't read that looks like FKRRAB--. I've never been able to figure out the name of country. I have a number of smaller ones with no name and without steel liners, some lockbacks and some slip joints. I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that they were French and possibly Italian. ___Dave

If you can get me a clear picture of that knife and stamp I may be able to help you identify it. Would also like to see pictures of the other ones you mentioned! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

wlf wrote:I have a French knife that Dimitri identified, he got lucky :) , that’s got a very hooked hawkbill.
Thanks it's certainly different.

Yeah I've been known to get lucky once in a blue moon :wink:
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

BWT wrote:George Butler picked this up a couple of weeks ago and never posted it.
That’s a beauty of a Hawkbill Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ... nice full blade with stamp & horn handles - nice score ::nod:: ....
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Miller Bro's wrote:
djknife13 wrote:Dimitri, I have almost the same knife except an inch shorter and horn scales. Mine has "Vincent" over a line dash line, and then a last name I can't read that looks like FKRRAB--. I've never been able to figure out the name of country. I have a number of smaller ones with no name and without steel liners, some lockbacks and some slip joints. I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that they were French and possibly Italian. ___Dave

If you can get me a clear picture of that knife and stamp I may be able to help you identify it. Would also like to see pictures of the other ones you mentioned! ::tu::
Thanks, I'll try to get one tomorrow when I have good light. ____Dave
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

That is a big one, Dimitri, very nice! ::tu:: Great old knife in good condition, BWT! ::tu:: I really like the blade stamps on some of the old Sheffield knives.
Dan
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Miller Bro's wrote:

Dimitri; Here are the knives that I have that are of similar shape as yours. I haven't been able to find the manufacture of the one I posted the stamping of. I have several hundred Hawkbills and none with a name close to this one. Thanks____Dave
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

danno50 wrote:That is a big one, Dimitri, very nice! ::tu::
Thanks Dan!
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

djknife13 wrote:Dimitri; Here are the knives that I have that are of similar shape as yours. I haven't been able to find the manufacture of the one I posted the stamping of. I have several hundred Hawkbills and none with a name close to this one. Thanks____Dave
Dave thanks for the pictures beautiful old knives! ::tu::

Here's what I believe it reads:

Vincent
---•---
Farrar

Vincent would be the name of the maker and " Farrar or Ferrar" is an occupational surname for a blacksmith or ironworker.

There was a John Vincent working out of London in the mid 1800's that is all the information I can provide

Hope this helps ::handshake::
AAPK Janitor
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Miller Bro's wrote:
djknife13 wrote:Dimitri; Here are the knives that I have that are of similar shape as yours. I haven't been able to find the manufacture of the one I posted the stamping of. I have several hundred Hawkbills and none with a name close to this one. Thanks____Dave
Dave thanks for the pictures beautiful old knives! ::tu::

Here's what I believe it reads:

Vincent
---•---
Farrar

Vincent would be the name of the maker and " Farrar or Ferrar" is an occupational surname for a blacksmith or ironworker.

There was a John Vincent working out of London in the mid 1800's that is all the information I can provide

Hope this helps ::handshake::
Yes thanks. I kept thinking it was a first and last name but what you are saying makes sense. ___Dave
BWT

Post by BWT »

danno50 wrote:That is a big one, Dimitri, very nice! ::tu:: Great old knife in good condition, BWT! ::tu:: I really like the blade stamps on some of the old Sheffield knives.
Thanks Dan!!
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

djknife13 wrote:
Miller Bro's wrote:

Dimitri; Here are the knives that I have that are of similar shape as yours. I haven't been able to find the manufacture of the one I posted the stamping of. I have several hundred Hawkbills and none with a name close to this one. Thanks____Dave
Very nice and interesting too Dave ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Those are some old and beautiful Hawkbills Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: ... That is very cool having a London made Hawkbill too!!! Hawkbills are one of my favorite patterns to collect for sure and thought I had a decent number in my collection... until you said you have several hundred - WOW ::woot:: ::tu:: 8) ...
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

LongBlade wrote:Those are some old and beautiful Hawkbills Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: ... That is very cool having a London made Hawkbill too!!! Hawkbills are one of my favorite patterns to collect for sure and thought I had a decent number in my collection... until you said you have several hundred - WOW ::woot:: ::tu:: 8) ...
Thanks Lee. I concentrated pretty heavily on hawkbills for several years and ended up at about 400. I've posted my best and rarest four including my two blade true split back English before but I'll probably dig them out and get a picture of them together. I even know where they are in the safe because I stumbled on them a couple days age looking for something else.____Dave
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice ones, Dave! ::tu:: ::tu:: WOW, 400 is a lot of hawkbills!!
Dan
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

4 of my favorites; L to R; 1) S._____ cutlers to King William, 1830-37 (I thought once is was an Oates, but I believe that would be too new for this knife, 2) IXL, no mystery here but this has the most massive stag of any of my knives, 3) Wade and Butcher cast steel, 4) Another mystery, but this is one of only two true split back knives I have ever seen, and a hawkbill to boot, also cutlery to King William. The split ends about 2/3 rds of the way down the spring from the blades. ___Dave
Attachments
4 more hawkjbills 001.JPG
4 more hawkjbills 002.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great knives Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Thanks for sharing them :D ... The last two are awesome and so different... The Wade & Butcher has a massive blade and great handle... If you ever get a chance I would like to see the split springs on bottom of last one... In the 2nd photo of the tang stamp of first knife it looks to me to say Superior/Cutlery but can't quite make out a WcrownR which I suppose is on the top??
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

LongBlade wrote:Great knives Dave ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Thanks for sharing them :D ... The last two are awesome and so different... The Wade & Butcher has a massive blade and great handle... If you ever get a chance I would like to see the split springs on bottom of last one... In the 2nd photo of the tang stamp of first knife it looks to me to say Superior/Cutlery but can't quite make out a WcrownR which I suppose is on the top??
It's faint but over the cast steel near the top of the picture. I'll try later today to get a clear picture of the split, I might put the other knife I just picked up that also has a split back. It isn't a hawkbill but may have been made by the same maker. ___Dave
BWT

Post by BWT »

Dave those are really nice, thanks for sharing, I can see why they would be your favorites ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice knives Dave.

Here's one for posterity. I tried to buy this one ,can't even remember how I traced it, but it was way out of my league and the owner wouldn't come down . It's an extraordinary piece. 12 1/2" with inserts. ( ?)
Attachments
12.5 inch 2.jpg
12.5 inch.jpg
12.5 inch 4.jpg
12.5 inch  3.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”