Turkey Day Carving & Serving Tools

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Turkey Day Carving & Serving Tools

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

What do you carve, trim your Thanksgiving bird with? A knife that has been in your family for generations? A knife that you bought when you started your family? The knife and serving fork below, have been in my family since the late 1950's or early 60's. I don't use them because it's just me and I don't cook a turkey. I cook a Cornish game hen. Using this knife and fork on a Cornish game hen would be like using a chainsaw to prune a rose bush, it's overkill. But it's an heirloom so I keep the set. They are stainless steel and made by a company called Carvel Hall.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
tongueriver

Re: Turkey Day Carving & Serving Tools

Post by tongueriver »

We have some elegant china and antique sterling that we serve with at table, but for carving turkey breast, I use one of my Schrade U.S.A. Sure Grip fillet knives. I have been known to occasionally use an electric knife. I have some generic bank-give-away two tine forks to help with the carving. For the rest of the turkey it is mostly rip tear gouge and pull apart behavior (guests do not look). The next day all the bones and associated detritus go into a big stock pot with a mirepoix for 12 hours for the best broth you ever had, ready for soup and gumbo. One year the guests had just arrived. I had a 22 pounder in a countertop electric roaster. Came time to crack the lid and voila! RAW COLD turkey. Jumped into the old Ford to Albertsons and bought 4 rotisserie chickens freshly presented. Best turkey I ever had. So... the 22 pounder did get cooked and the Goodwife and I struggled through it for a LONG time. Turkey gravy secret ingredients: dry white wine and marjoram. Bon Appetit! By the way, there is another subforum called "In the Kitchen."
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Sounds like you experienced Murphy's Law big time. You and yours have a nice Thanksgiving.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Good topic.

We use an electric knife we have had for about 40 years. We won it as a give a way at a party
40 years ago. Never thought it was very expensive but works like a charm. Still have the
original box -kinda worn and ragged. Sharp blades!

Funny how something so inexpensive has been used so frequently and is still with us.

Bob
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

rea1eye wrote: Funny how something so inexpensive has been used so frequently and is still with us.
Bob
I have more of that kind of stuff around here than I should be admitting!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Turkey Fork.png
Turkey Saw.jpg
Nah. We use an electric knife or what ever else is handy. Sometimes it ain't Purdy but that don't change the taste.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Jerry, you know you're supposed to use the tip of the saw for the wings, right.
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Now I do. Thanks for that tip, Joe.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

You guys remember ol' Rocky? Last year he helped in the turkey preparation. Earlier today he was getting a workout on the farm.
Attachments
WP_20161225_014.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

About 30 years ago my wife bought me a 9" Rapala Martini fillet knife and that's what I have used on the turkey ever since. I also use it to butcher my deer. Just finished cutting up a bunch of jerky strips.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”