Still pretty newbie!

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
zoogirl

Still pretty newbie!

Post by zoogirl »

Ok, I just passed three months here and I’ve left bits and pieces all over the place, but I figure I better give ya all the rundown.
So, I’m zoogirl, or Red or actually, Ann.
Let’s just say I remember the Sixties without really participating. ;) I’ve got two adult sons, Dan and Josh. Both have girlfriends I like. Dan has a boy and a girl and Josh has a young stepson. Their dad and I were together for almost 27 year before splitting amicably and he passed on six years ago. I had a boyfriend, but we split not so amicably last year and actually still work at the same place. It’s mostly ok.
Ah, work. ::facepalm:: I send my time either flaming mad or laughing my butt off. It’s a great bunch of people but like any small group, we do get on each other’s nerves.
The work itself is pretty physical. I assemble school furniture. I also ship it. One day I’m riviting plastic seats onto chairs, the next, I’m loading them onto skids that I’ve dragged in from the yard, stacking, strapping and shrink wrapping ‘em. I’ve worked the paint line, done cutting, drilling and run presses in metal and sanded, cut and run the hot press laminating tops in wood shop. Sometimes I go on deliveries as a swamped and lug the tables etc into the schools. The good side?at my age, I can still touch my toes. :mrgreen:
Besides collecting knives, I also collect small household antiques, Alice Cooper memorabilia and to a lesser degree Joan Jett and the Runaways and guitars and ukes. I love old bicycles too.
For fun, I act in an Alice Cooper tribute band. I go to open mic at my fav pub twice a week and sing and play. There’s Uke club on thursdays, swapmeets on Sunday and camping with the family in the summer. I have B.B./ pellet guns and a couple of bows. so camp usually includes a trip to the old quarry to shoot anything that’s laying around! I don’t hunt, thanks to my years as a zookeeper and educater. Nowadays, I’m down to a genuine former Surrey Tomcat, two field mice (born in captivity) and a wolf spider.

I guess that’s the lot. Oh, my knife interests lean to old fixed blades, mostly fairly small hunting knife styles. I do like good old jacks too. My dream would be to find the ancient Premium Stock that I loaned a friend to cut a box while we were moving in ‘81. Didn’t see him again for about twenty years and he didn’t remember actually having it. ::teary_eyes:: it was originally my dad’s.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Still pretty newbie!

Post by stagman »

Sounds like you got a full plate 24/7/365 zoogirl...makes me tired just reading
your schedule !!! I grew up in metro Detroit, Alice has 3 years on me, he is 70 this year.
I saw him in concert in Detroit, don't ask me the year, and when they came back
on stage for a on core, they did Black JuJu..must have lasted 15 minutes..one of the wildest shows I ever saw !!!

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

::welcome::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Hi Ann!
Can still touch your toes? I'm impressed :mrgreen:
There was a time... once... long ago... *sigh*
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote:Hi Ann!

Sometimes I wonder if I still have toes down there. Lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Thanks for sharing Ann. Sounds like you have a very busy and dynamic life. Glad to have you here on AAPK!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Goodness, Gal! Just like stagman, reading your very descriptive post made me tired! ::uc:: Wish I could still burn the candle at both ends. Glad you've decided to participate with the AAPK forum, my wife says it's just like a Facebook for men and their knives. Now I can report another lady is participating. :)
I hope you enjoy AAPK. ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi Zoo ! Nice to have another Canadian here and a B.C.'er too. I am in Nelson.
What brand was the "premium Stock knife" that you lent and lost ? Likely someone here has an example or 2 of the same knife if you want another one.
But, perhaps it is just the one you got from your father that you would like ?
If you can find time to take pics of some of your knives and post in the appropriate forum it would help us get to know you better.
kj
p.s. how 'bout a pic of your pet wolf spider ?
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Steve Warden wrote:Hi Ann!
Welcome (again), Zoogirl! Ha! I can lay my palms on the ground and I am 72. I work out some way or another at least two hours a day. Zoogirl, I want to see pics of your old bicycles! I am a bike guy but only have three so far.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Welcome here Zoogirl! Alice is right in my wheelhouse as I came of age in the 70's. It's great to have you aboard and I am looking forward to your knife pics. ::ds::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
EyeBJoe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by EyeBJoe »

WELCOME Zoogirl !!! Thanks for sharing your interesting lifestyle. You live in one of my favorite places on earth there in Vancouver. You're now part of one of the nicest groups of people with volumes of knowledge on anything with a blade. Share some pics soon.

Joe D.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Hello Ann. Nice to meet you. Sounds like you have a very interesting life. If your band ever plays songs from the "Allman Brothers", send us a video. I for one would love to see that. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Toes? Toes. I remember them. Haven't been seen for a while. I assume they are still there.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome Red.. Enjoy your time here and chime in any time the urge moves ya!!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I hardly know where to begin.
I’ve been posting a lot of pics. Guess you just missed them. There’s a bunch on the fixed blade pages and various brand specific threads. The latest would be in the finds of the day.
Yeah, reading it all kinda makes me tired too! I didn’t even mention occasional karaoke and going antique hunting with my buddy.
I do like it here. I’ve been checking out the off topic area and some of it is pretty interesting.

I’ll post a couple of pics now and even throw in one of my Trasha the Wolf Spider. ( She got her name by taking up residence in my bosses yard waste can). She laid her eggs today!
0D47774E-F894-4338-9C8B-A98F277D646D.jpeg
5E1C51E0-E156-492A-9BEB-2FC0B19299CE.jpeg
7C61405E-F9BD-4049-A625-182A13C74F94.jpeg
C68EA9A9-4709-40D3-820D-11E8F7994996.jpeg
793AF3AA-B79F-41B9-AE17-700F1E43BDFC.jpeg
B86FCED3-F86E-4863-B055-EF5211F35A7A.png
In order, a rather battered Wade and Butcher, my EDC Buck, ( and Gaffers back!), my only fixed stag, a Buffalo Brand, a couple of Bucks, Trasha and the kids, and my Canadian Boy Scout knife.
Most of my pics seem to be on my other iPod, but that should give you an idea.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I saw Alice in 77 and he really put on a show!
wlf

Post by wlf »

Ann , my buddy from Vancouver's knife club meets in Surrey.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

treefarmer wrote:Goodness, Gal! Just like stagman, reading your very descriptive post made me tired! ::uc:: Wish I could still burn the candle at both ends. Glad you've decided to participate with the AAPK forum, my wife says it's just like a Facebook for men and their knives. Now I can report another lady is participating. :)
I hope you enjoy AAPK. ::handshake::
Treefarmer
....tf, I think somebody lit my candle in the middle!!!!........... ::facepalm:: ............
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

Ann,

That's an interesting & rather candid introduction & it may even inspire me to try one. I have noticed some of your posts, too. Your account of the sixties sounds about the opposite of mine. I think I participated but I just don't remember much about it. And speaking of Alice Cooper, I saw them at a two-or-three day concert at Rockingham Motor Speedway in NC in 1971. I was just vaguely knowledgeable about them at the time & I regarded them as sort of a "kiddie" band compared to some of the others so I intended to get some sleep when they came on. I was real tired, but I didn't sleep. They gave the best performance of any band there. Blew me away.

geocash
geocash

Return to “Member Introductions”