My latest "Rough Riders"

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My latest "Rough Riders"

Post by Old Folder »

Rough Rider Backwoods Bushcrafter Doctors Knife 3.75" Sawcut Amber Bone Handle Blackwash 440A Stainless Steel
The knives in the Rough Rider Backwoods Bushcrafter series feature blackwashed 440A stainless steel blades with match strike pulls, half-stops (on non-locking blades), and sawcut amber bone handles.
I've never liked the looks of copper bolsters in the past, however, these match quite well with the overall knife assembly.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
The Old Southwest Canoe by Rough Rider has 440A stainless steel blades and an embossed nickel silver handle that has black accents. Accented with white and synthetic red and blue turquoise spacers.
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: My latest "Rough Riders"

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Do you just collect 'em, or do ya give 'em a little pocket time? What's your opinion of 440A for knife steel? I have a few RR's and have used them a bit, curious what your experience is?
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:Do you just collect 'em, or do ya give 'em a little pocket time? What's your opinion of 440A for knife steel? I have a few RR's and have used them a bit, curious what your experience is?
I have many Rough Rider brand knives and collect and display only. Never carried one as a EDC.
I do not let the steel content make a deciding factor on a knife purchase.
There are many 440 steels, the others include 440B, 440C, and the less common 440F. All the 440 steels are considered truly stainless, but 440A has the highest corrosion resistance of all because it contains the least amount of carbon. (So I have read)
I see that many current knife makers use 440A including Case etc.
Dan
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

I like that canoe Dan. I've had that one on my radar for a few weeks too. The rough riders are great values and very nicely made and attractive knives.
Nice picks you made with those two. ::tu::
Greg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thanks Greg. ::handshake::

In the November 2018 "Knife Magazine" Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a great 5 page article in celebration of their 40 year business celebration.
The article puts great emphasis on the popularity of Rough Rider knives and how they are closing rapidly on the 2,000th different Rough Rider Knives.
They see a lot more high end knives coming from China [with features like] D2 steel, ball bearings, titanium screws, custom pocket clips... carbon fiber handles.
SMKW goes directly to the manufacturer overseas and tells them exactly what they want. By cutting out the middleman and selling direct to the public, they say they can sell what might otherwise be an $80 or $100 knife for as little as $24.99
Dan
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

After reading about your Rough Riders. I decided to buy one. I just received it today 12/27/18. I am no expert on knives but I have to say this is one nice knife. Rough Rider Cherry Bone Moose. I am very pleased with this knife. They had it on sale for $9.99. I don't know how they do it for that price.I have to say I am a believer in Rough Rider knives.
rough rider .JPG
rough rider .JPG

Return to “Chinese-made knives”