970 Puma game warden

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
whiskeytango315

970 Puma game warden

Post by whiskeytango315 »

Hey guys,
I have a long shot request, I was given a 970 puma in trade for an "heirloom" repair for a friend. It seems to be all there, but the lock bar is broken. Also the scales are broken but I can make those, not sure what wood would be good. Personally l think ebony would be neat. Anyhow I'm looking for a lockbar. Can send money or trade some parts. Let me know if anyone can help out with this.

Jeff
just bob

Re: 970 Puma game warden

Post by just bob »

You can buy spring steel from Jantz and make your own lock bar. It's easy to do. Beware the S &H - maybe someone on here as a small pc. they would sell?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
whiskeytango315

just bob wrote:You can buy spring steel from Jantz and make your own lock bar. It's easy to do. Beware the S &H - maybe someone on here as a small pc. they would sell?
Thanks,

I am working on a kabar 1179 currently with the same problem. First time with a lock back folder. The kabar lock is not available for a pattern though. Trying to freehand a pattern. Any thoughts?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I don't think spring steel is necessary for a lock bar. It is necessary for the spring that tensions the lock bar, but the bar itself should need to be overly hard. I have a number of Schrade lock bars and I don't think they are spring steel, though I have never tested them for hardness.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
whiskeytango315

orvet wrote:I don't think spring steel is necessary for a lock bar. It is necessary for the spring that tensions the lock bar, but the bar itself should need to be overly hard. I have a number of Schrade lock bars and I don't think they are spring steel, though I have never tested them for hardness.
Agreed, I don't think there is any reason these would need to be spring steel either.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

the bar can be made from any proper thickness steel with reasonable durability.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”