Is this Northwoods made by Queen?

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Is this Northwoods made by Queen?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Sorry to be ignorant of the history of Northwoods, I just started collecting GEC and Northwoods last year. I see several of these Gunstock Jacks in torched stag on eBay. I haven’t been able to find this on the archives at KSF. This knife just looks exactly like a Queen knife, but the price is much higher than a comparable Queen knife. Anyone know if this is a Queen knife? And is it worth the 245 price?
SSk
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Eye Brand Man

Re: Is this Northwoods made by Queen?

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I'm defiantly not an expert on Northwoods, but that doesn't look like a GEC made knife. So most likely Queen. Looks like a queen made knife to me. As to the price that's up to you. Me personally I wouldn't give over 150.00. JMHO
Eye Brand Collector
big monk

Post by big monk »

Looks like a Queen made knife ,but they have been down for awhile**--- could be a GEC made, SMKW edition maybe ? since GEC made a run of the #44 Gunstocks, back in August of 2018 ?? ( SMKW still list some in stock now ) -- check out the link below

https://www.smkw.com/northwoods-gunstoc ... e-bld-stag
Attachments
Stag #44 Gunstock.jpg
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

big monk wrote:Looks like a Queen made knife ,but they have been down for awhile**--- could be a GEC made, SMKW edition maybe ? since GEC made a run of the #44 Gunstocks, back in August of 2018 ?? ( SMKW still list some in stock now ) -- check out the link below

https://www.smkw.com/northwoods-gunstoc ... e-bld-stag

Monk, If it’s made by Queen, then the price at SMKW seems awfully high also. I would think this would be about $100 knife from Queen. After some issues I’ve had w/ quality from Queen, it would be hard to pay these high prices.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

This is a Dave Shirley Northwoods made by Queen. Dave Owned Northwoods from around 2004 to 2009 When Derrick Bohn At KSF bought them Dave Shirley Produced Marbles from 2001 to about 2005 . That's why the Dave Shirley Northwoods had the Gladstone MC. Tang stamp . Hope this makes sense. The Northwoods with the Gladestone Stamp bring more than a Queen produced at the same time . I believe some may have been made in the Marbles Plant in Gladstone MC . Maybe some on AAPK can shed some light on this. ::shrug:: ::shrug::
big monk

Post by big monk »

Found this one made by Queen ( Schatt & Morgan ) ___ looks to be the same knife with a few different blings ::hmm:: Also notice the GEC knife has ""four"" pins in the handles ______________ I believe Queen all the way**

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-SCHATT-MO ... :rk:4:pf:0
Attachments
S&M Stag Gunstock.jpg
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:This is a Dave Shirley Northwoods made by Queen. Dave Owned Northwoods from around 2004 to 2009 When Derrick Bohn At KSF bought them Dave Shirley Produced Marbles from 2001 to about 2005 . That's why the Dave Shirley Northwoods had the Gladstone MC. Tang stamp . Hope this makes sense. The Northwoods with the Gladestone Stamp bring more than a Queen produced at the same time . I believe some may have been made in the Marbles Plant in Gladstone MC . Maybe some on AAPK can shed some light on this. ::shrug:: ::shrug::

Thanks Gary that makes sense. I happen to like old Gladstone Marbles and have a few in my collection, they seem to be appreciating in value from when I bought them new.
Monk, when I said Queen I was referring to the parent company, this definitely looks like a Schatt and Morgan. I may actually have one just like it already. No need to buy one of these. Still put off by quality issues I’ve had w/ some Queen products. I wouldn’t pay 185 or 245 for this knife, it’s just not distinct enough from S&M knives out there for me to shell out that much money.
Thanks both of you.
Mark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe these Queen made Northwoods Gunstock single blade knives are listed at $245 or Best Offer. The seller has a number of them listed.
If you like the knife make a decent offer that you see as fair. The seller might very well accept. He is a long time esteemed AAPK member.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:I believe these Queen made Northwoods Gunstock single blade knives are listed at $245 or Best Offer. The seller has a number of them listed.
If you like the knife make a decent offer that you see as fair. The seller might very well accept. He is a long time esteemed AAPK member.
kj
Thanks KJ. I wasn’t implying that the price was too high, just too high for me and a Queen produced knife. It’s in the price range of a lot of Northwoods knives. I was just a little confused about this one being so high since it is obviously made by Queen and similar knives that don’t bear the Northwoods tang stamp go for half or less.
Glad to know he is on here with us.
SSk
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

SSk, i think $245 is high for that knife given that a regular Queen large Gunstock was selling for less than half that price. They have been listed for a long time which indicates that other people also see them as priced too high.
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”