CASE 11, 11-1/2, 11-1/2L and Cheetah thread

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Jcj02

Re: CASE 11, 11-1/2, 11-1/2L and Cheetah thread

Post by Jcj02 »

zp4ja wrote:
Jcj02 wrote:Hey Jerry, Thanks for pointing me in this direction. I was the one up in Central KY couple years ago where we spoke and I wear the GOT CHEETAH? shirts.

So SURELY someone here can get my prize piece together for me.
A TRUE RED CHEETAH
That's all I want in life : :roll:

**I CALL THEM ALL CHEETAHS AS ITS SIMPLER THAN EXPLAINING** I like all swing guards for most part

I will be getting my cheetahs together in the upcoming months but as I shared in the other thread here is what I have got in one place together so far. Love the swing guards!! Look forward to chatting with you all

I will be letting some of my 71's go soon. As I grab some additional green bones and also I am wanting another Mammoth Ivory should anyone have a spare. Looking for the bark look

green cheetah.jpgreddish cheetah.jpgreds cheetahs.jpgstags cheetahs.jpgtable of cheetahs.jpg
Hello JC,

Although it would be nice to meet and talk knives, that was not me that you met at the show in KY.

Thanks for reviving this thread and showing your beautiful CASE Swing Guards! On the true Cheetahs you posted, is there a 10 stag dot Proto in there?

Regards, Jerry

Replied to your email.
Very sorry about the confusion then. Pleased to meet you here then sir ::tu:: Shoot me an email back and tell me your last name. I could have swore we have met somewhere or spoke another time
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Jcj02 wrote:
zp4ja wrote:Keep posting those knives!!!

Here is my red bone Factory Error (no model stamp) CASE XX USA 6111-1/2L. Now this is a CASE Red bone for sure. I love this knife. Amazing bone color in my opinion.

Regards, Jerry

Jerry

I need this. Please find it again lol....or one like it
I know right where it is, in my safe. I will keep an eye out for you. True red swing guards are hard to find. Although not official CASE colors, they vary on color spectrum of red. But red is red based on color spectrum in my opinion. I call that one strawberry red myself. Also have one that is a dark red cranberry color.and maybe ( don’t recall off top of my head) some other red color variations.

You will find you one.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
zenithman

Post by zenithman »

When I first started collecting back in the late 60’s to early 70’s, the pattern was called the “lock back” as that was pretty much the only locking blade pattern Case made during that time period. The number of locking bladed knive patterns exploded in the mid 70’s with the introduction of the Buck (can’t recall the pattern #) locking blade slipjoint. The Buck probably did more to influence knife styles than any other pattern. Seem like every manufacturer copied its style, some more successfully than others. I personally didn’t like the pattern or the style but I seemed to be in the minority. At gun/knife shows it’s fun to listen to the various collectors discuss the 6111-1/2L and what they call the pattern. Older collectors almost always refer to it as the lock back while younger ones call it the Cheetah.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

zenithman wrote:When I first started collecting back in the late 60’s to early 70’s, the pattern was called the “lock back” as that was pretty much the only locking blade pattern Case made during that time period. The number of locking bladed knive patterns exploded in the mid 70’s with the introduction of the Buck (can’t recall the pattern #) locking blade slipjoint. The Buck probably did more to influence knife styles than any other pattern. Seem like every manufacturer copied its style, some more successfully than others. I personally didn’t like the pattern or the style but I seemed to be in the minority. At gun/knife shows it’s fun to listen to the various collectors discuss the 6111-1/2L and what they call the pattern. Older collectors almost always refer to it as the lock back while younger ones call it the Cheetah.
Absolutely agree with what you have stated regarding the CASE Swing Guard. Only lock back made at that time so old timers just said "lock back". I fully subscribe to that myself.

And yes, all the CASE lock backs or swing guards are named as such. Technically, the only "True Cheetahs" were made in 1970' and 1971' only and are rightfully called Cheetahs. Any other year it is a CASE lock back, 11-1/2L or swing guard. Hence why I named the thread title the way that I did.

That said, even though I use the properly assigned term, I don't get out of whack like some collectors I have met when people do not use the proper term regarding this.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Saw this Knife at the Dalton Show last month and couldn’t get it out of my mind so I call the guy and was able to acquire it

Case XX 9-Dot 5111 1/2L SSP Ivory handle Cheetah
Attachments
C9013A59-2D47-465C-92ED-C59FD8139316.jpeg
7310AEB2-F5DE-4DE0-9C6A-D743D802921C.jpeg
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Pretty knife Larry! ::tu::
Roger
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Roger, thank you ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry W

jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Did you ever trade a knife and a year later trade for it back? Glad this one is back in the fold ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
F4FB9F6C-87A7-470D-A090-F53527C065D7.jpeg
8E3C4767-C756-4892-A10A-FFF91C761C24.jpeg
Larry W

olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Super nice knife Larry ::tu:: ::
::tu::

Tom
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Those are some very rare birds Larry. Congratulations on some amazing pickups.

Jerry
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Thanks Tom and Jerry ::tu::
Larry W

PaulHerron

Post by PaulHerron »

Thank you Jerry. Nice collection![image][image][/image][/image]
Attachments
003.jpg
009.jpg
004.jpg
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks for the compliment on my collection Paul! Other members have sure posted some beautiful CASE Swing Guards on this post also.
That includes the one you just posted. Beautiful USA example. Nice red bone.

Not sure if you are aware but there are actually 4 different bone examples in the USA era...

Early model stamp font
Late model stamp font
No model stamp
Extra 1 model stamp

All in USA era. I have an example of each, just never photographed the knives stamps (or lack thereof in one example).

The transition between one and 2 listed above led to the example 3 and 4 listed above by way of factory errors or a very discreet marketing campaign best I can tell. Likely the former but who knows.

Jerry
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Reviving this post. No new swing guards for me. In fact, sold a few 77' Blue Scroll 5111-1/2LSSP duplicates serialized I had. Owned 6 of the 1000 made and now down to two I will keep. My goal of getting all 1000 diminished when I realized the cash involved.

Any acquisitions to you pile? Please share.

Jerry

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”