Canal Street 1st Year Set

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Canal Street 1st Year Set

Post by philco »

This Canal Street 1st Year set just sold on ebay. I've got a similar set, but in my set both knives bear the 1st Year shield. In this set the whittler has such a shield but the congress knife has no shield at all. Can anyone shed any light on this discrepancy ? All the other similar sets I've seen had the 1st Year shield on both knives. I've also got several Canal Street congress knives and all of them have a Canal Street shield (other than the one in the set).
Attachments
Canal Street 1st Anniversary Set .jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
dweb1897

Re: Canal Street 1st Year Set

Post by dweb1897 »

On my set, looking at the congress from the mark side, the small clip blade is on the right side. The picture you posted shows the small clip on the left side so I suspect there is no shield showing because it's the pile side in the picture. ::shrug::
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Phil, I think the congress is upside down. The mark side should have the small clip blade on the right, meaning that in the photo the shields are on the bottom.

Eric
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

ea42 wrote:Phil, I think the congress is upside down. The mark side should have the small clip blade on the right, meaning that in the photo the shields are on the bottom.

Eric
Eric I did not post all the photos from that listing but it appeared to me that there was no shield on either side of the congress knife, but perhaps you and Doug are right.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canal-street-C ... 663.l10137
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Phil, check it out, every photo he shows has the knife backwards, not sure how he didn't realize it, unless he was hiding something. Went for a good price, I hope it was all legit.

Looks like Doug and I were thinking alike at exactly the same time lol!

Here's the set I had, in the right configuration:
Canal Street Cutlery sets 3.jpg
Eric
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Eric, I would say great minds think alike however in my case, it would be more accurate to say a confused mind.
I checked the photos in the post as well and noticed the same. As for the set, I can't help but wonder at the poor centering of the 2 knives. I had wondered if it was just my set but they all seem to be the same...with the congress too far to the right. By the way, I removed the red liner in mine so as to make new holes for the pegs and found another liner beneath it in a royal blue.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”