808 open stock vs. 108OT

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Edgewise

808 open stock vs. 108OT

Post by Edgewise »

I still can't settle on a favorite discreet sheeple friendly edc.
I've been using an equal end single spring pen knife alternating with a super little Boker 9903 peanut but I also need a sheep foot blade for precise cuts and that makes the Schrade 108OT ideal, but the good ones are a bit over budget.
image.jpeg
I already have a beautiful little Camillus #77 whittler with a caping blade but I don't want to risk damaging or losing it, and somehow it doesn't get the praise of the 108OT.
Recently I discovered the Schrade 808 open stock model.
It's not a 108OT but apparently I can't find any difference between the two.
image.jpeg
Is the 108OT really a 808 renamed to fit the OT series? because both models ran concurrently for a long time.
Or is there a difference besides the name that I'm missing? ::shrug:: ::hmm::
Does the OT name make the 108 more popular with collectors?
Which model is easier to find on sale?
kootenay joe

Re: 808 open stock vs. 108OT

Post by kootenay joe »

The open stock knives are patterns made from before the OT & UH lines came about. Most, (all ?) of the OT & UH knives are copies of open stock patterns.
I think Schrade kept the open stock line going to please long time customers who wanted to replace their old open stock knife with another one just the same.
kj
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Another option you might want to consider, if you don't mind stainless steel blades, is the Uncle Henry 807UH. Use ebay and use the saved searches feature to let ebay keep you informed of new listings of the knife of your choice by email. Watch for a deal. You could save a search for all three. When searching for an Old Timer I always use two searches. One using OT and one using 0T (the number zero). People get confused about the letter O and the number zero. And people who mistakenly use zero are more likely to not know what the knife is worth and give you a deal. I like the 807UH when I want to carry a little knife. I wore out a 108OT in the past. They are all nice to carry and plenty of knife for me to kick around town with. Good luck!
Attachments
807uh Junior Stockman (2).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have an 808 and a 108OT, both lightly used which i will sell. Send me a PM if interested.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The 108ot and 808 are identical knives when the same era of each is compared. The old pin through 808's and cut co 8's are much better than their later versions. There is no pin through version of the 108 but there is the 1985 red bone version which is the nicest of its kind. The earlier swinden 808's and 108's had long pulls. The 807's are the same but with stainless blades, they never had long pulls being introduced in the 1980's.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good information, Paul! Here are some Schrade Waldens.
girlies001.jpg
girlies002.jpg
girlies003.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:Good information, Paul! Here are some Schrade Waldens.girlies001.jpggirlies002.jpggirlies003.jpg
The bottom two are very nice. You can spot the pin throughs a mile away, they are much more slim.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”