Chas Clements - London Retailer

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Chas Clements - London Retailer

Post by LongBlade »

Charles (Chas) Clements was a high end London Retailer of knives from approx. 1890 to the 1970s (though Levines has it as 1850-1875 it was incorrectly noted)… from my understanding Clements knives were made in Sheffield and he sold a great variety. Perhaps familiar to many who collect military knives his WWI knuckle knives or trench knives were quite popular and those were made by Ibberson of Sheffield. Clements had multiple locations but the number was dramatically reduced by the 1920s. This particular knife was from the Billiter St shop as noted on the tang stamp of the pen blade which was an earlier location that started in 1908 but was no longer listed by WWI. This info was summarized from Ron Flook’s The London Knife Book (a good resource for London knives). Thus this knife is at the least 100 yrs old and probably just abit older.

This small knife in my eyes shows some real cutlery craftsmanship in many different ways though the responsible Sheffield maker is not known (see tang stamps). This small type of knife with lots of character really trips my trigger ::nod:: ... While only 2 ¼” closed, it has 4 blades a (master, pen, scissor and a glove hook) - notably strong springs and very lightly used blades though some peppering from age with probably original finish, and even the scissors work like new ;-). Tortoise shell handles are highlighted by gold foil placed between liners and handle covers (which was done on many tortoise handled knives and can be seen in photos). Also note how thin the tortoise shell covers are in the side view photos which I had read was the sign of skilled hafting (unfortunately there are just a few minor tight hairline cracks at at an outer pin. There are 3 back springs all with file work - the 2 outer springs were gold washed which is also seen inside the wells of the knife. The middle spring though polished had file work but no signs of gold wash on the back spring or within the handle wells – nice touch with some style. The 2 inside brass liners were milled as seen on the top down view of blades – the outer liners were not milled. I think the bail may be brass but with less copper in contrast to liners (liners are no doubt darker in color suggesting more copper if I’m not mistaken). No doubt a high end knife and as some suggested most likely made for the aristocrats in England. Though stamped “Sheffield Make” on back of Master blade (see stamp) the Sheffield maker is unknown. While this was was stamped “Sheffield Make” I have seen others stamped “Sheffield Made”. Nonetheless it was not unusual for retailers to contract the knives to cutleries which were stamped only by the retailer’s name. One interesting note on the Billiter St tang stamp on pen blade – underneath but hidden by liners is 2 other letters – almost looks like a “ES” – but no matter where the tang of the blade resides it is impossible to see clearly.

Flook had some photos of other Clements knives including a nice sportsmans knife, an all metal ruler knife that had multiple blades including a can opener, screwdriver and other implements, an amputees knife and an officers swagger stick that had a dagger hidden within it…

Anybody else have any Clements knives to show? Given they were a rather large London retailer in the late 1800s - early 1900s before the depression hit in the 1920s but continued until the 1970s I am guessing there must be some other examples ::nod::
Mark Side DSCN6079 4.JPG
Pile Side DSCN6088 - Version 4.JPG
Blades Open DSCN6119.JPG
Blades - Top Down View DSCN6112.JPG
Springs and Filework DSCN6097.JPG
Tang Stamp - Chas Clements DSCN6226.JPG
Tang Stamp - Sheffield Make DSCN6236.JPG
Tang Stamp - Billiter DSCN6255.JPG

Re: Chas Clements - London Retailer

Post by FRJ »

Lee, that is a beautiful knife that took some special skills to build.
I love the faceted hook and the swedge on the scissors. And more.

Beautiful in every way. Congratulations on that one. ::tu::
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

Lee thanks for sharing the information and the knife ::handshake::
Bill
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Very nice Lee! It exudes quality cutlery craftsmanship in every regard ::tu:: Like the bail.
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I forgot to mention the bail! ............. I like the bail. :mrgreen: .......... And the pictures. ::nod::
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Joe, Bill and Lloyd ::tu:: ::tu:: .... the bail was no doubt a nice touch among the other aspects :) ... I would love to know who the Sheffield maker was for this knife ::hmm:: ....

Post by wlf »

Beauty Lee.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17208&p=136760&hili ... ts#p136760

One of the three I have ,all the same pattern. :shock: (4 1/8")
Attachments
Clements pearl farmers whittler782.jpg
Clements pearl farmers whittler781.jpg
Clements pearl farmers whittler783.jpg
Clements family Farmers whittlers787.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Great info from the link and the post from Wellington - indeed Mills sounds to have been the possible maker given the description of his knives!!!

All 3 FJs are stunners - thanks for sharing them! I thought it was you who had a few Clements stamped knives ::nod:: :D ...

Post by FRJ »

Very fine knives, Lyle. They are really a beautiful pattern. Good for you. ::tu::
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Great find Lee ::tu::

Lyle, nice collection ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Dimitri ::tu:: ::handshake:: .. sort of a lucky find :D

Post by wlf »

LongBlade wrote:Thanks Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Great info from the link and the post from Wellington
Worried , because that Mick has not been heard from for a long time.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
Mason

Post by Mason »

LongBlade wrote:Charles (Chas) Clements was a high end London Retailer of knives from approx. 1890 to the 1970s (though Levines has it as 1850-1875 it was incorrectly noted)… from my understanding Clements knives were made in Sheffield and he sold a great variety. Perhaps familiar to many who collect military knives his WWI knuckle knives or trench knives were quite popular and those were made by Ibberson of Sheffield. Clements had multiple locations but the number was dramatically reduced by the 1920s. This particular knife was from the Billiter St shop as noted on the tang stamp of the pen blade which was an earlier location that started in 1908 but was no longer listed by WWI. This info was summarized from Ron Flook’s The London Knife Book (a good resource for London knives). Thus this knife is at the least 100 yrs old and probably just abit older.

This small knife in my eyes shows some real cutlery craftsmanship in many different ways though the responsible Sheffield maker is not known (see tang stamps). This small type of knife with lots of character really trips my trigger ::nod:: ... While only 2 ¼” closed, it has 4 blades a (master, pen, scissor and a glove hook) - notably strong springs and very lightly used blades though some peppering from age with probably original finish, and even the scissors work like new ;-). Tortoise shell handles are highlighted by gold foil placed between liners and handle covers (which was done on many tortoise handled knives and can be seen in photos). Also note how thin the tortoise shell covers are in the side view photos which I had read was the sign of skilled hafting (unfortunately there are just a few minor tight hairline cracks at at an outer pin. There are 3 back springs all with file work - the 2 outer springs were gold washed which is also seen inside the wells of the knife. The middle spring though polished had file work but no signs of gold wash on the back spring or within the handle wells – nice touch with some style. The 2 inside brass liners were milled as seen on the top down view of blades – the outer liners were not milled. I think the bail may be brass but with less copper in contrast to liners (liners are no doubt darker in color suggesting more copper if I’m not mistaken). No doubt a high end knife and as some suggested most likely made for the aristocrats in England. Though stamped “Sheffield Make” on back of Master blade (see stamp) the Sheffield maker is unknown. While this was was stamped “Sheffield Make” I have seen others stamped “Sheffield Made”. Nonetheless it was not unusual for retailers to contract the knives to cutleries which were stamped only by the retailer’s name. One interesting note on the Billiter St tang stamp on pen blade – underneath but hidden by liners is 2 other letters – almost looks like a “ES” – but no matter where the tang of the blade resides it is impossible to see clearly.

Flook had some photos of other Clements knives including a nice sportsmans knife, an all metal ruler knife that had multiple blades including a can opener, screwdriver and other implements, an amputees knife and an officers swagger stick that had a dagger hidden within it…

Anybody else have any Clements knives to show? Given they were a rather large London retailer in the late 1800s - early 1900s before the depression hit in the 1920s but continued until the 1970s I am guessing there must be some other examples ::nod::

Mark Side DSCN6079 4.JPG

Pile Side DSCN6088 - Version 4.JPG

Blades Open DSCN6119.JPG

Blades - Top Down View DSCN6112.JPG

Springs and Filework DSCN6097.JPG

Tang Stamp - Chas Clements DSCN6226.JPG

Tang Stamp - Sheffield Make DSCN6236.JPG

Tang Stamp - Billiter DSCN6255.JPG
That's a beautiful multi-blade folder, Lee. Certainly a top quality knife and the tortoise shell handles and file work are stunning.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Neal - much appreciated ::tu:: ::tu:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful knives, Lee and Lyle!! ::tu:: ::tu:: Great informative post, Lee!
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Dan ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake:: ...

Post by keithw »

I know this thread has been dormant for a couple of years, but I just stumbled across it, and thought I would share a couple of pics. It is also tang-stamped Clements. I bought this knife at a flea market a few years back. It's big, the first pic shows a normal-sized copperhead as a comparison. The ivory is broken off at the bale on both sides, but otherwise it is extremely solid.

Thanks
Keith
Attachments
20140426_1.jpg
20140426_1.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
20140426_2.jpg
20140426_2.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
20140426_3.jpg
20140426_3.jpg (41.42 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice old knife, Keith! ::tu::
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a keeper for sure, Keith.
And it is big.
Joe
Sheffieldguy

Post by Sheffieldguy »

That’s a great old sportsman’s knife Keith!! And one that size is rare! Nice pick!!! ::tu::
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice old knife

Harold
keithw

Post by keithw »

Thanks guys.
I guess the saying is true about a blind pig finding an acorn occasionally!
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
wlf

Post by wlf »

Love your knife Keith.

Lyle

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”