Kabar 1004

The KA-BAR brand originated as a trademark of the Tidioute Cutlery Company. Tidioute was later taken over & renamed the Union Cutlery Company which continued making the brand until Union eventually adopted it as the company name in 1952. Cutco Corporation later acquired the company in 1996.
TuckersDad

Kabar 1004

Post by TuckersDad »

I bought this Kabar 1004 today on EBay. For some reason I did not think about the blade material. I guess I assumed it was carbon. It looked like carbon, but now I’ve got to thinking what it’s made of. I can’t seem to find any info. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks
Kabar
Kabar
TuckersDad

Re: Kabar 1004

Post by TuckersDad »

And if anyone could tell me the year on this knife? Like I said not having much luck finding anything on it
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The steel is 1095.

As far as age, we'll need clear pictures of the stamp. But from a guess, in that you know the model number is 1004, then the model number is stamped on the tang. That would put it as after 1966, when model numbers first were stamped on Kabar folders and 1984, when the model was discontinued.
TuckersDad

Post by TuckersDad »

I appreciation your information. Here’s a pic of stamp. I paid 25.00 for it. You think it’s worth that? I just liked it a lot. It’s in great shape.
CB36493E-A2EF-4314-857B-2E405C4A586E.jpeg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

TuckersDad wrote:I appreciation your information. Here’s a pic of stamp. I paid 25.00 for it. You think it’s worth that? I just liked it a lot. It’s in great shape.CB36493E-A2EF-4314-857B-2E405C4A586E.jpeg
It is late 70's or later, stainless steel.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I would have taken it for $25. Looks like a good pocket dweller. ::tu::
TuckersDad

Post by TuckersDad »

Thanks..got it in mail today. Been in pocket ever since. I love trappers.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Well, after the picture, I suppose we'll need to wait on gunsil, the resident Kabar guru. The model number would indicate post-1966, but the all caps KABAR would imply pre-1953, when the Kabar stamp went to Kabar .

Are there any other stamps on the other blades? Kabar did some things post-1976 with the "Kabar Collectors Club" knives and it could be from that time frame.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

As Steve (knifeaholic) previously stated, the OP’s knife was manufactured no earlier tnan the late 1970s and the blades are stainless steel. Kabar introduced a line of wood-handled, brass-bolstered, stainless-bladed traditional pocket knives in approximately 1977. These knives were not produced for the Kabar Collectors Club; instead, they were a regular production item. The tang stamp on the OPs knife is consistent with this 1970s product line. After forty-odd years I can’t recall what these knives were called; I believe it was something like the “classic” series.

At the time this knife was made, I was living in Olean, New York (the home of Kabar) and was an early member of the Kabar Collectors Club. As part of the club’s membership benefits, I regularly received catalog inserts as new products were introduced by Kabar. Forty years and many thousands of miles later, I have somehow managed to retain most of this literature. I know that I have the catalog insert for this series of knives; I saw it just a few months ago while researching a Kabar jackknife that I had purchased. Unfortunately, I am not currently at the house where these catalogs are stored and am unable to post a photo of this catalog page.
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
TuckersDad

Post by TuckersDad »

Always helpful.... don’t know why anyone who is into pocketknives would not be a member. This is the best website ever! Thanks guys

Return to “KA-BAR Knife Collector's Forum”