Tweaked Full Size Trapper

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Lansky1

Tweaked Full Size Trapper

Post by Lansky1 »

I've never been a fan of the full size trapper ... not sure if its the butter knife looking spey or the rounded trapper style clip that is instantly recognizable as its own. Anyways, I finally figured I ought to have at least 1 trapper in my collection, so when I got it, I liked the pronounced radius on the spey even less than I thought I would and the clip seemed to just have way too much belly in it near the tip. So the wheels start turning & I figured it wouldn't be too much trouble to put my take on it. After a few hours of careful fiddling, I reshaped the spey and the clip - kind of looks more Queen or GEC-ish now. The differences are subtle, but if you look closely you can see the mods ... I kinda like it now
tra2.jpg
tra3.JPG
Here's the "before" picture for comparison ... most time consuming part was removing the etching (I thought it was going to be a silk screen etch that is easy to remove with lacquer thinner - unfortunately it was laser engraved, so I had to run the grits from 150-1500 & then buffed it to get it to like new shine ... just takes time). Man, this one was a PIA to work in ... bet I opened and closed each blade a few hundred times (good aerobic exercise) - the bolster got so hot I could barely touch it ... it was extremely tight & had no snap when I got it - snaps better than average now. Anyways, nice project for a cold saturday afternoon when there's no fishing or golf to be had ...
tra4.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
TW200

Re: Tweaked Full Size Trapper

Post by TW200 »

I like that. Nice custom look.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Usually, I’m not a big fan of this type of modification. But in this case I heartily approve! I like the shape of both much better.

Did you use power tools or just sandpaper?
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Colonel26 wrote:Usually, I’m not a big fan of this type of modification. But in this case I heartily approve! I like the shape of both much better.

Did you use power tools or just sandpaper?
Thanks guys ::tu::

Colonel26 - I used files for reshaping the blades, a dremel tool to round over the top edges, and a stationary disc sander to flatten out the little angled tip of the spey. Sand paper for removing the etching. Buffing wheel to bring out the shine after 1500 grit paper. Here's a side by side with a newer Case trapper I forgot I had - can see the clip blade mod better ...
IMG_8053.JPG

John
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Especially like the spey mod. I think your neutering processes will go smoother.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Doc B wrote:Especially like the spey mod. I think your neutering processes will go smoother.
LOL - about the closest I will get to neutering is watching Dr. Pol's TV show (and I usually change the channel when he gets ready to get his hands dirty ::oh_my:: ) Although, I'm thinking this knife will get some belt time when fishing season comes along ... I bet that spey will fillet pan fish right nicely...

John
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Lansky1 wrote:
Doc B wrote:Especially like the spey mod. I think your neutering processes will go smoother.
LOL - about the closest I will get to neutering is watching Dr. Pol's TV show (and I usually change the channel when he gets ready to get his hands dirty ::oh_my:: ) Although, I'm thinking this knife will be get some belt time when fishing season comes along ... I bet that spey will fillet pan fish right nicely...
Now that's one of the best uses I can think of...fish fillets ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

John I like it when you have a little time mixed with a little dissatisfaction. It turns into some knice. I like the mods. ::tu::
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

doglegg wrote:John I like it when you have a little time mixed with a little dissatisfaction. It turns into some knice. I like the mods. ::tu::
LOL - you've got me pegged Floyd, thx ::tu::

John
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Nice job ::tu:: looks way better. I like case trappers, but like you the blade profiles always bothered me. There just not sleek and sexy like some other brands notably queen and Boker. I don't know why case has to put that much belly right at the end of the clip blade ::shrug:: almost doesn't have a point. I like my clip blades with a nice sharp point.
Eye Brand Collector
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

forgot to include pics of spey compared to a non-modified version ...
tt1.JPG
tt2.JPG

John

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”