Schatt & Morgan

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
rtfret99

Schatt & Morgan

Post by rtfret99 »

Lookin for info about Schatt & Morgan knife.
Knife reads GROSSE MANNER & GROSSER ZEITEN 1914 & 1915
Attachments
01 28 19_1129_edited-1.JPG
01 28 19_1128_edited-1.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schatt & Morgan

Post by jerryd6818 »

rtfret99 wrote:Lookin for info about Schatt & Morgan knife.
Knife reads GROSSE MANNER & GROSSER ZEITEN 1914 & 1915
GROSSE MANNER = Big Men
GROSSER ZEITEN = Great Times
As per an online translation program.

And the "viribus unitis" on a slant above the two central figures is Latin for "by joining forces"

Of course World War One - WWI - started in Europe on 28 July 1914. I believe the knife relates to that event. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Don't know who they are but translated would be "Epic Men Epic Times" Something like that. Atleast you know when it was made. Right on the knife. Cool. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

doglegg wrote:Don't know who they are but translated would be "Epic Men Epic Times" Something like that. Atleast you know when it was made. Right on the knife. Cool. ::tu::
I wasn't aware that you speak German.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jerryd6818 wrote:
doglegg wrote:Don't know who they are but translated would be "Epic Men Epic Times" Something like that. Atleast you know when it was made. Right on the knife. Cool. ::tu::
I wasn't aware that you speak German.
I do a tiny bit but my Daughter in law and grace is German. Grew up in Stuttgart so she is my reference. But in translating languages there is a lot of ways to translate the same thing. I do speak Spanish, lived in Peru 50 years ago.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I wonder who the men are that in relief on the handle? The one directly left of center looks like it might have been Kaiser Wilhelm. But someone may have defaced it.
I would expect Ludendorff, Hindenburg and other generals to be on there as well. It will be interesting finding out more about this knife.
If anyone is interested in WWI, Barbara Tuchman’s Pulitzer Prize winning “Guns of August” is the best book on WWI I’ve ever read.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I used to be able to speak a little pig Latin. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

image.jpg
Here is an add for the knife My Daughter in law and grace found. I would be hard pressed to translate and she didn't offer. But I thought the add was neat. ::nod::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very cool old knife. I am thinking that back when that knife was made, folks in Germany would recognized the faces. A couple looked vaguely familiar to me, but I am not well versed in the history of that era.
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

What a fine historical piece.

SharpnShinyKnives: Ditto on the Tushman book. A great read.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

doglegg wrote:image.jpg Here is an add for the knife My Daughter in law and grace found. I would be hard pressed to translate and she didn't offer. But I thought the add was neat. ::nod::

Definitely Kaiser Wilhelm and Hindenburg share the center stage on that knife. With a little time I could identify many of them. The advertisement doesn’t say who the reliefs are. It’s a description of the knife. I do speak a little Deutsche. Ich spreke ein bisschen Deutsch. But I did terrible on the spelling part of the German language. Probably spelled the sentence in German wrong. I struggle enough w/ English.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
doglegg wrote:image.jpg Here is an add for the knife My Daughter in law and grace found. I would be hard pressed to translate and she didn't offer. But I thought the add was neat. ::nod::

Definitely Kaiser Wilhelm and Hindenburg share the center stage on that knife. With a little time I could identify many of them. The advertisement doesn’t say who the reliefs are. It’s a description of the knife. I do speak a little Deutsche. Ich spreke ein bisschen Deutsch. But I did terrible on the spelling part of the German language. Probably spelled the sentence in German wrong. I struggle enough w/ English.
SSk
Not too bad SSK. But I understand, too often my Spanish turns into Spanglish. :lol:
rtfret99

Post by rtfret99 »

Thanks for all the info. Now have to try to find its value :D
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

rtfret99 wrote:Thanks for all the info. Now have to try to find its value :D

By the way, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. Hope you stick around. This is a great place and some fine people.
As far as value, that’s very hard to say. Too bad the Kaiser was defaced, although I understand why, but that detracts from the value. Condition matters. An antique dealer might think the knife is worth more than a collector. I wouldn’t get my hopes up that it’s worth a lot of money.
I’d be hesitant to make a guess. One way to find out is to list it on eBay w/ a starting price at or a little below what you think it’s worth and see if you get bids. If it’s a rare knife and worth a lot, bidders will bid it up and you will come out ahead. You may have to list and relist it several times to draw attention to it.
I would be interested in it just because I’m a WWI buff, but I wouldn’t begin to know what to offer.
Good luck,
SSk
rtfret99

Post by rtfret99 »

Will continue to look around ebay and check a few antique dealers.

Return to “European-made knives”