First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
zoogirl

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone,
Smowmageddon! It snowed! Actual snow! Inches!
Sorry but it’s pretty unusual here.
So, still no little gold Richards. The guy was closed again.
I have to go out to the bosses and shovel. That’s usual. He’s pushing eighty and sure not doing it. I may have to walk to the Skytrain first because it’s all hills here and we have a little shuttle on this route. It always gets stuck somewhere along the way.
Have a good and safe day everyone!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I just checked my schedule, and there isn't anything that I need to be at my office to accomplish. So, I think this will be a WFH (work from home) day.

I'm getting pretty tired of the cold, wet and wind. The wind has stopped and the sun is out. The high today is supposed to be 57 deg F.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I got jumped on by one of the Boss ladies for running the buffer at 10am.
Monday all manner of suppliers and stockers start about 6:45.
One area wasn't open until 10am.
She says make them move. How in the heck are they going to move a pallet?
The floor machine needs a new squeegee on it.
As it stands now if I do the areas and then try to buff it's too wet.
I think I'll try to start at 4am instead of 5 on Monday.
Getting someone to open at 4am ain't terribly likely.
Such is life.
Looking for the magic penny!
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Morning , back to work today. Better get this coffee down and head out. Happy trails!
David
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Mornin' fellas.

Estate sale today....I know, Tuesday? Crazy, crazy!
Laundry too.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

Yet another b-day come and gone .. .. .. meh ....

Rained most of the night. Supposed to be a chunk-floater today, too.
roo hoo

::undecided::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' gal and guys. It is 53º and headed for near 60º for a high today. I have Men's Devotional Breakfast this morning and not much else to do today.
Hope your day is good. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. I picked up my new old Maher and Grosh trapper yesterday and the bone is nicer than I expected. Nice knife and I'm happy. I cleared off two roofs yesterday and picked up about 10 more from people seeing me doing that one. I never did get anything done on the job I'm suppose to be working on so we hit that hard today. We're suppose to get another 6 inches of snow today too and then I think it's done for a while. There is almost two feet on roofs. Have a great Tuesday. ___Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin'.
We must be in line for the rain, it's mighty warm this morning, 69 degrees and the radar shows a bunch of rain west of us. I notice that Chris is already enjoying it. :) Dave that snow removal sounds like a big deal, glad you're able to keep going. ::tu::
Another trip to Panama today, to pick up Miss Joy's new lap top, the old one died.
Rifle season is winding down and I've been a few evenings and not seen anything that legal to shoot. Florida Game Commission changed the antler rules from what they were for years and years so we can have more big bucks for the guys that eat the horns. :roll: Saw a very tall cow horn spike yesterday who would have been legal 2 years ago or had one of the grandsons under 15 years old been with me, he could have took a crack at him. The storm certainly changed our woods. The deer are still there, just diverted from the patterns they had used for the last 20 years.
Maybe we can see if any of the antique businesses have opened back in the old part of town. Spring break is about to happen and the Beach Chamber of Commerce is worried about housing. Seem lots of the condos, hotel and motel rooms are already occupied by displaced Bay County residents and out of state construction workers.
Y'all enjoy this fine Tuesday!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone,
More snow! I think I’m just going into work today. I shoveled everything yesterday at the bosses and it’s going to need to be done again but they might send me over later. It’s supposed to snow off and on all day.
Eagerly awaiting the name of my POS victim! One of you fine fellas is getting a nice little load. It won’t be a large pile, but you’ll definately know it’s there! ::teary_eyes::
Have a good and safe day everyone!
TwoFlowersLuggage

Well, I told a fib yesterday. After writing my post, I changed my mind and decided to go in to the office. I'm writing 2018 performance reviews on my team - something that I dread every year. I have one "problem child" employee that I probably should have fired long ago. He is one of the most difficult employees I have ever had. He takes passive aggressive behavior to an art form, and when I have tried to give him feedback to cut it out, he claims to have no idea what I'm talking about. He is also paranoid, and believes any negative feedback is part of a conspiracy to personally attack him. He's good technically, and he gets a lot of things done, but he is a nightmare to have on your team. He should never have been made a manager (done before my time), he should have been kept as an individual contributor and just locked in an office away from other humans.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Years ago, the executive who turned around Avis wrote that he gave any problematic employ three years from being hired to prove their value. If not satisfactory by that time, it was fairest to the employee and to the company to let him go. If he failed to dismiss the employee at three years, then the exec said he considered the problem his own and he would have to live with it. An interesting take I thought.
TwoFlowersLuggage

I think that's probably a smart way to look at it - although if you are the employee being told you are fired it certainly doesn't seem like the "best thing for you" at the time. However, I must say that if I had not been let go from my previous job, I would not be where I am today - and I know I am FAR better off now. That's probably why I will never be an executive. I make decisions every day, but not those kinds of life-altering decisions for other people. That's a level I really don't want to be. I'm fine making big decisions for my own life, but not for others.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Coffee's on and the sign is lit up. I'm off to work so you guys are on your own. ___Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Dave. Our winter has returned, it's down to 44 after a bit of rain last evening. Lots of little jobs need doing around the place, never out of "work", they just have no monetary return at the moment. ::hmm::
Guess everyone is layin' low on hump day?
Have a good hot cup when y'all get here and then have a blessed day!
Treefarmer

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' Dave and Phil. Mornin to those who will come in later. Other than a trip to the post office and doing some listings, not much on the agenda for the day.
It is 33º and it'll likely drop another degree or two about daylight.
Hope you all have a good day. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Good Morning. Currently sunny at 30°, 12 mph wind, going to 40°. Trash is out and I expect the rest of the day to be routine. Stay safe and carry on.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Good morning everyone
I don’t know what the weather is doing because I haven’t looked yet! It’s supposed to clear.
I got out of work at noon yesterday. Most people bailed then and the rest were going at 2:30. It was just pouring snow.
I went to mail my POS pack and the silly little twits at the post office wouldn’t take it! I called in to Canada Post right there, and was told it was fine to mail, but the manager still refused. Idiot!
I’m going to a different one after work.
Have a good and safe day everyone
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

It's already past noon here and I'm still working on my first mug of joe.(almost done) Got up super late this morning so I'm hours behind "schedule" if there is such a thing for us retired folks.

Zoogirl I hate that you're having a hassle getting those knives in the mail.

D J Dave I'd love to see a few pictures of some of the roofs with so much snow on them and pics of how you guys remove that snow.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

philco wrote:,,,,,, Zoogirl I hate that you're having a hassle getting those knives in the mail.

D J Dave I'd love to see a few pictures of some of the roofs with so much snow on them and pics of how you guys remove that snow.
Me too.....

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

We should be doing more roofs on Friday or Monday if we don't finish the bathroom tomorrow. I'll try to get some pictures. We use what's called an Avalanche for as much as we can reach so we don't have to get on the roof if possible and a regular roof rake if it has a layer of ice the Avalanche won't cut through. Sometimes you just have to get up there and push it off with a wide plow type shovel. My son made a tool with a 16X48 inch blade and a long straight handle that he can move a bunch of snow quickly down to where I can pull it off with a rake. We used that more until we got a couple of the Avalanches. ___Dave
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Relax gentlemen, the poop is down the chute! ::groove::
Somebody’s got a pile on route!
See you all in the AM. ::yawn::
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

Mornin' guys and gal. I just got notice from the USPS that a package I feared was lost will be delivered today. ::tu:: When they fail to scan it sure creates a lot of anxiety in buyers and sellers.
It is cool this morning at 54º and headed for the mid to high-70s later today. Later in the week the prognosticators are calling for record high temps in the high 80s. Today is the day we trim our rose bushes back here. Some of the local gardeners put tomatoes out today also. I will hold off on that for a week or two.
Hope you all have a knife day. ::tu::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin' from the frigid Florida Panhandle, it's 36 this morning.
Good morning, Ray!
Lots of sun yesterday, stayed in the 60s, got some work done on the big pine laying next to our pump house. Need a new chain on my saw or take a link out, it's stretched so much it is at the end of the adjustment. Had a hydraulic line blow on the front end loader and it ain't easy to get off. One end of the blown line threads into a "T" inside of the channel iron frame. ::disgust::
Hope to visit with the daughter up in Georgia for a day or so, her youngest just became a teenager and Granddaddy needs to take him a Queen for his birthday! ::tu::
Hope y'all have a great day!
Treefarmer

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Sounds like a busy day all around Knife world. We are close to completing the bathroom remodel and then I need to get prices to a cabin owner to get his cabin remodeled before spring. We had a fantastic day yesterday with almost spring like weather and sunshine. Have a great Thursday. ___Dave

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”