Rough Rider Now Offering Carbon Blades!!

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
hard.times.lures

Rough Rider Now Offering Carbon Blades!!

Post by hard.times.lures »

For some time, many have said they wished Rough Rider made knives with carbon blades. I see now they do offer these knives in several patterns.

I wonder what kind of carbon blades? The standard in U.S. knives for carbon blades is 1095 steel.

Has anyone tried them and how easy are they to sharpen --how well do they hold an edge?

Thanks, Bryan
cody6268

Re: Rough Rider Now Offering Carbon Blades!!

Post by cody6268 »

My Classic Carbon Folding Hunter has been holding a pretty decent edge in the three months I've had it. Provided, I only use large folders on heavy materials and for big jobs, so I cut some materials that quickly dull a blade often. I did touch it up once a couple days ago and it took no effort to get a razor's edge back on it. IT doesn't really hold an edge as well as the 50 year old Case it replaced, however. It, so far, seems to be an incredibly great value for the $15 (direct from SMKW) I have in it. Next time, one of the ones I'll order will be a Sodbuster Work Knife in carbon steel. The 440A version is my favorite RR, and actually one of my favorite knives period.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am a big Rough Rider fan and have been so since 2007 when i began buying them and could not stop because every knife i received was just so good. Every one has sharp blades and the few i have used edge hold well, better than i had expected.
Hence i do not understand the desire for blades that can rust. Carbon steel blades will not arrive sharper than the standard blades and i doubt that they will edge hold longer. The only difference will be the development of a patina and rust if you neglect it.
What thoroughly convinced me of how good the RR blades are was using a 'Jumbo Trapper' to field dress a deer. It was the slickest field dressing i ever did and the blade still shaved arm hair when i was finished. How can a carbon steel blade beat this ?
If you deer hunt, use a Rough Rider to field dress so you can see for yourself. (and then be sure to report back on how it went)
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I haven't actually used this knife but here's one of the models with carbon blades. Blades are every bit as sharp out of the box as their stainless models but I can't comment on edge retention or ease of sharpening.
Attachments
IMG_4313.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Springs are still stainless, correct ?
kj
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I like RR's, have not used a great deal, but, they've done well when I have. Good FnF, I wish their stamps looked better, either rounded off from buff/ polish, or just gaudy, to me. They're a good value for trying a pattern, if you choose to go that route.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I need to get one soon!
Keep Near the Cross.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

IMG_2808.JPG
Rough Rider Carbon canoe bottom knife. It really is a nice knife I liked it so much I purchased 2 more for gifts.
Ruffinogold

Post by Ruffinogold »

They have an impressive amount of poatterns in their line up and they look very nice
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Hi Ruffin. I agree Rough Rider makes a very wide assortment of Traditional knife patterns.
Welcome to AAPK. Keep on posting and maybe include a picture or 2 of some of your knives.
kj

Return to “Chinese-made knives”