Pawnshop rescue

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
tallguy606

Pawnshop rescue

Post by tallguy606 »

So I had been eyeballing an old Remington pocketknife at local pawnshop for a while. Finally sprung for the $15 to get it. Original antique Remington, tang stamp is pretty much gone but says R22113 on back of main blade. Nice old bone handles and shield. NOW for the bad news. Small blade snapped off at base, main blade is about 50% sharpened away, in a curve yet. But main blade is tight and has decent snap. Guess I just got it to admire the old workmanship, unlikely I will ever afford a nice condition old Remington. Bet this one was carried in some workingman's pocket for many years and did a whole lot of work in its day. Could take a picture but don't know how to post it, unless someone wants to help me. Thanks.
Steve Warden

Re: Pawnshop rescue

Post by Steve Warden »

Would love to see pics!
https://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_ ... m.php?f=98
Click on that link, then scroll down a bit. You'll see three links about posting pics, one is how from your I phone, one from your Android phone, one for your computer
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'd love to see pictures also. It appears as if there are to many numbers in your pattern number. I've not seen one with more that 4 numbers.
Gumshoe

Post by Gumshoe »

espn77 wrote:I'd love to see pictures also. It appears as if there are to many numbers in your pattern number. I've not seen one with more that 4 numbers.
That is what I was thinking. OP - please look and see if the pattern number you reported is not a typo.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Well, I may have misidentified this knife. On close examination, maybe the first digit is not an R. Could be an 8, would make it 822113. So probably not a Remington, oops. Maybe a Simmons Keen Kutter? Sorry for the confusion. Need more research.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I'll try to post a couple pictures
Attachments
DSCF1775.JPG
DSCF1777.JPG
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Neat old knife. I don't recognize that shield as being a Remington shield either. Thanks again for showing us.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A very comfortable and pretty old knife. You made a great save. ::tu::
remington collector

Post by remington collector »

Appears to be a good quality carbon steel blade. I'd sharpen it to a razor edge and carry it with me everyday.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I can make out "SON" in a half circle on the tang of one blade. Now I'm thinking it might be a Robeson.
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

Looked up this knife in my book that I forgot I had. The blade number is definitely for a Robeson Big Jack Hunter. Somebody got a LOT of years of use out of this cool old knife.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”