Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
BlueGreebs

Re: Lets show some Old and Rare ones.

Post by BlueGreebs »

Can someone help me identify these knives I'm gonna try to restore them and they were my grandpa's old knives things like the year they were made and brands and just general information would be nice
Attachments
20190310_155611.jpg
20190310_144115.jpg
20190310_143838.jpg
20190310_143655.jpg
20190310_143620.jpg
20190310_143620.jpg
20190310_143518.jpg
20190310_143442.jpg
20190310_143435.jpg
20190310_143432.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

BlueGreebs wrote:Can someone help me identify these knives I'm gonna try to restore them and they were my grandpa's old knives things like the year they were made and brands and just general information would be nice
Welcome to AAPK and congratulations on inheriting your grandfathers knives. That makes them special. The three smaller ones don't have much value apart from sentimental value. The larger one looks to be more interesting. It's hard to really tell you much without knowing the brand name stamped on the bolster if you can read it. If it is too tarnished or dirty to read, clean it with the point of a number 2 pencil and you may be able to see markings. Good luck with your restoration. If you have any questions on how to proceed, the guys on this thread love to help with quality advice. _____Dave
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. I saw your other post about your grandfather’s knives. First of all congratulations on having these family heirlooms. I recommend you start by reading some of the advice here regarding how to clean up and care for older knives. You’ll find some good info here viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157. This will help you with cleaning them up so you can possibly read, and photograph the markings on the knives. Then folks here can tell you better what you have. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a group photo along with some closeups.

The Harwi Hardware knives are the only two Harwi brand knives I've ever seen.

The Keen Kutter whittler came with the accompanying purse.

The Stainless Knife tang marked Patent is the only one that anyone has ever seen as far as I can tell. It is a very unique auto opener.

The little aluminum Waterville is in great shape for it's age and uncleaned.
Attachments
IMG_6049.JPG
IMG_6050.JPG
IMG_6052.JPG
IMG_6053.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful and unique knives in fabulous condition, Wayne.

Real treasures. You must be very happy to own those.
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice Wayne,a great selection of old and rare ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knives Wayne
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

A+ Wayne! ::tu::
Roger
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Those are cool Wayne. That auto knife I assume you twist the end to make it open?
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The Harwi knives and the Stainless Knife switchblade have found new homes. It was a pleasure to own them and do some research on them. I still have the pictures to remember them by.

I contacted a number of noted switchblade authorities on the little auto and no one had ever seen or heard of one before. It was a very interesting little knife and I suspect the amount of machining involved in making it precluded the manufacture and sales. I call it a $5 knife that cost $15 to make. The threaded cap worked to both release the blade and also once opened, lock the blade in place. The throw spring moved back and forth in the solid stainless frame as the threaded cap was turned.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

btrwtr wrote:Here is a group photo along with some closeups.

The Stainless Knife tang marked Patent is the only one that anyone has ever seen as far as I can tell. It is a very unique auto opener.

I recognize that Waterville - Wayne was kind enough to sell it to me last year at Mystic :) ... it’s unique to my eye having the 2 pen blades on opposite ends of the same well and the master blade occupies the other well...

Wayne showed me that little Stainless Knife screw cap switchblade at that show as well - reminded me of something James Bond would carry ::nod:: ...
2C688A4B-D2EA-4EDA-B012-748F9B515BF6.jpeg
27A06C4E-AC35-4B71-BCDD-0CEC86961E60.jpeg
475B09C1-74BF-490B-B2E7-129733B915FF.jpeg
3C818EC0-FAB5-4108-A10C-6BDA0180BE39.jpeg
Attachments
91AEA554-56DD-4D38-AC3B-660A3C77DFDA.jpeg

Post by BWT »

Picked these up over the last couple months. Ivory Taylor Union,ebony BOE,tortoise HWG,appears to be bone Eagle Cutlery Co, and lastly horn coke bottle Standard knife co. If anyone knows anything about the Taylor Union I would appreciate information on it, thanks for looking.
Attachments
181F59CB-B59D-4E5A-803B-065503186AD5.jpeg
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

LongBlade wrote:
btrwtr wrote:Here is a group photo along with some closeups.

I recognize that Waterville - Wayne was kind enough to sell it to me last year at Mystic :) ... it’s unique to my eye having the 2 pen blades on opposite ends of the same well and the master blade occupies the other well...

Wayne showed me that little Stainless Knife screw cap switchblade at that show as well - reminded me of something James Bond would carry ::nod:: ...

2C688A4B-D2EA-4EDA-B012-748F9B515BF6.jpeg

27A06C4E-AC35-4B71-BCDD-0CEC86961E60.jpeg

475B09C1-74BF-490B-B2E7-129733B915FF.jpeg

3C818EC0-FAB5-4108-A10C-6BDA0180BE39.jpeg
That’s a neat ole knife Lee,nice find and good maker.
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ...
BWT wrote:Picked these up over the last couple months. Ivory Taylor Union,ebony BOE,tortoise HWG,appears to be bone Eagle Cutlery Co, and lastly horn coke bottle Standard knife co. If anyone knows anything about the Taylor Union I would appreciate information on it, thanks for looking.
And that is quite a nice showing of knives Bill - you scored some cool knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by BWT »

Thanks Lee!!!
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Good show, Bill. ::tu::
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Joe!!!
Bill
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

BWT wrote:Picked these up over the last couple months. Ivory Taylor Union,ebony BOE,tortoise HWG,appears to be bone Eagle Cutlery Co, and lastly horn coke bottle Standard knife co. If anyone knows anything about the Taylor Union I would appreciate information on it, thanks for looking.
Bill. Nice knives. I like every one of them. ____Dave
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Dave, I don’t post photos often, I enjoy looking at the other members knives. Thanks for looking and the comments ::handshake::
Bill
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Some great knives posted in the last couple of weeks! I am especially partial to Roland's EK Tryon senator, Wayne's pearl Keen Kutter whittler and Bill's BOE ebony jack. Lee, very nice pickup, from Wayne, of the aluminum Waterville.
Dan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

This one's not that old, but I think it might be sort of rare. The guy who sold it to me at the OKCA show last week didn't know anything about it, he sent me to another guy who was some expert supposed to know. He didn't know jack, never heard of it. He sent me to another guy, no info. Finally went to Charlie Campagna and Barry of Gunstock Jacks and they didn't know either, but Charlie had the knife encyclopedia and pulled it out and looked it up. Even the encyclopedia was calling it something slightly different than is on the tang. But it's supposed to be 1945 year. Can't find a crack or chip in the bones, good Rogers color, sweet snap and solid no wobble open. Very stout springs. Something about the stylf of the WW2 era knives gets me. I have a few from the 30's and 40's and love them, they have something. Great era of American manufacturing and design

DEPEND-ON
MET CUT CO
N.Y.
Attachments
WP_20190417_108.jpg
WP_20190417_119.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

" oh, I don't know where you come from, and I don't know where you been, but it really doesn't matter...…" Glad I don't have to know it's pedigree to like it. Iman I like that knife every time I see it. Classic beauty. Takes me back to a slower time. A time when things were not as shallow. I really like that knife. ::nod:: ::handshake::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice, Ivoryman! ::tu::
Dan
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Trying to make sense of that tang stamp, which I have never seen, makes me wonder if "MET" does not stand for "Metropolitan".

And there was a Metropolitan Cutlery Co in New York City from 1914 until 1951.

They were importers of German made knives.

Goins lists them in some detail, but does not link them to that tang stamp.

"DEPEND ON ME" would have made more sense, but that is obviously not how it reads.

Nice looking knife. I like it!

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks all for the comments. RobesonaRme, first time I read the stamp I thought it was short for Metropolitan Cut Co because it doesn't say DEPEND ON ME TOO, as the encyclopedia had one listed. Didn't make sense. Anything you know would be great to hear, but you echoed what everyone else said. Consensus on that I guess. Here's a shot of the secondary stamp. Thanks again.
Attachments
WP_20190415_048.jpg
WP_20190426_012.jpg
WP_20190426_033.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”