AG RUSSEL - WHARNCLIFFE deal

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Lansky1

AG RUSSEL - WHARNCLIFFE deal

Post by Lansky1 »

I'm new to AG Russel knives ... I found this auction & had to share the joy for anyone who likes wharncliffe's... almost seems too good to be true ::shrug::

I ordered one (don't have it yet) ... will post a review when I get it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173849650868?ul_noapp=true

Can anyone shed some light on this line of AG Russel chinese made knives ... I've read some of their knives are really solid, and some command much higher prices on eBay ... just not sure how this one fits into the AG Russel heirarchy of quality ...
aaaaaaaaa.JPG
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: AG RUSSEL - WHARNCLIFFE deal

Post by doglegg »

I look forward to you opinion of it. It looks good. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, that's A.G.Russell's "Curved Regular Jack". A.G. brought that knife out about eight or nine years ago. Unless something's changed, it's 3-5/8" closed and at the time it sold for $60. Rick (Railsplitter) gave one away on the CollectorKnives Forum back in September of 2011 and I won it. It's a very nice knife (or at least the one I won was) with superb fit and finish. At the time, I had my nose way up in the air vis-a-vie Chinese knives and just couldn't get past the "China" stamped on the tang so I traded it off. I've regretted that decision ever since.
Attachments
AG Russell Curved Regular Jack - Traded Off.jpg
AG Russell Curved Regular Jack  Top.jpg
AG Russell in hand.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

THanks Jerry for the intel ... looking forward to receiving it even more now ! ::tu::

John
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Shush. You're tempting me. I'm trying to get through the month without buying anything and all those positive comments aren't helping.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Lansky1 wrote:THanks Jerry for the intel ... looking forward to receiving it even more now ! ::tu::
John, I can vouch for A.G. Russell knives. I have a few, but not that one. All the Chinese made A.G. Russell knives are of very high quality. Unlike a lot of Chinese knives that sell for 10 dollars or less, these knives are built to a very high standard and you will not be disappointed. If you buy one from A.G.R and don’t like it for any reason, you can send it back. Not many offering that kind of guarantee these days.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Seller has already sold 34 of these at $25 each. The FB received on these knives is positive from buyers. Seller must have gotten a very good deal from AGR to buy remaining stock of these knives.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I remember that knife, Jerry.

John, I think you will not only like that knife but there's a good chance you'll want more after you check it out. I've got an A.G. Russell 3 5/8" Gunstock in my pocket right now. I carry it because I like it but the fact that it was designed by a legend in the knife industry is also a motivating factor.

Thanks for posting that link, by the way. I didn't think I'd ever see one of these for sale anywhere. I can't make purchases from this company computer but for $30 shipped I'm gonna buy one when I get home if there are any left. Might get two.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Thanks guys ! Appreciate the info on this AGR model and AGR in general ... will have to expand my horizons ::dang::

John
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I just bought 2 of these. ::woot::
TazmanTom18

Post by TazmanTom18 »

Me too... ::groove::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I grabbed two of these when they first showed up because I've owned this model in the past and I couldn't believe the incredibly low price. I thought it was too good to be true and surely there had to be a catch. I decided to take a chance, although at the very least, I was expecting to receive factory seconds; however, the knives I got do not have the tang notch customary on AGR seconds. One handle has a very light hairline pin crack and both blades have a slightly stiffer pull than I am accustomed to on AGR knives--Other than that, though, they appear to be perfectly fine. Very solid, sturdy, well made knives.
P4050051.JPG
P4050050.JPG
P4050046.JPG
They came in a cheap vinyl padded zipper pouch instead of an original box...but it's still a remarkably good deal, IMHO.
P4050055.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I folded. ::facepalm:: At least I had the good sense to only order one (no offense intended to those who ordered more than one). And here I was, trying so hard to curtail my knife purchases in April. Now here I am, the biggest fool at last. "sigh"
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

QTCut5 wrote:I grabbed two of these when they first showed up because I've owned this model in the past and I couldn't believe the incredibly low price. I thought it was too good to be true and surely there had to be a catch. I decided to take a chance, although at the very least, I was expecting to receive factory seconds; however, the knives I got do not have the tang notch customary on AGR seconds. One handle has a very light hairline pin crack and both blades have a slightly stiffer pull than I am accustomed to on AGR knives--Other than that, though, they appear to be perfectly fine. Very solid, sturdy, well made knives.

P4050051.JPGP4050050.JPGP4050046.JPG
They came in a cheap vinyl padded zipper pouch instead of an original box...but it's still a remarkably good deal, IMHO.

P4050055.JPG

~Q~
Thanks for the review ~Q~. I ordered one also and looking forward to receiving it. There was a Spear blade variant made too which I would have rather had but at this price I'm not going to be picky.

I keep planning to get a group picture of all my A.G. Russell knives but I keep getting held up waiting on another one to arrive. Someday, I'll get that group pic.
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

These are going fast. When I bought mine last night I bought the 34th or 35th one and now 50 have sold already. With only 6 left right now they'll probably be gone by the end of the day.
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I got mine today. I'll let John do his review when he gets his but I'll just say that it's every bit as nice as the first one I owned in 2011. Strong pull. Great snap. Great F&F.
Attachments
IMG_4722.JPG
IMG_4723.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG
IMG_4726.JPG
IMG_4727.JPG
Rick T.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Railsplitter wrote:I got mine today. I'll let John do his review when he gets his but I'll just say that it's every bit as nice as the first one I owned in 2011. Strong pull. Great snap. Great F&F.

RIck, Beautiful. Thanks for showing the backspring/ blade runup or whatever it’s called. That’s a tight fit. I love that.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

[quote="Sharpnshinyknives"
RIck, Beautiful. Thanks for showing the backspring/ blade runup or whatever it’s called. That’s a tight fit. I love that.
SSk[/quote]

Thank you, Mark and you're welcome. ::tu::
Rick T.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's encouraging Rick. Tracking is telling me mine should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Really looking forward to this one (just like all the rest :lol: ) I also have a Camillus 14 due on one of those two days.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote:That's encouraging Rick. Tracking is telling me mine should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Really looking forward to this one (just like all the rest :lol: ) I also have a Camillus 14 due on one of those two days.
I happen to have a Camillus 18 arriving tomorrow myself. It will be my first Camillus knife ever. :oops:
Rick T.

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Does anyone have knowledge of the the original pricing of these AGR knives. Meaning when they were first offered in the AGR catalog?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Quick Steel wrote:Does anyone have knowledge of the the original pricing of these AGR knives. Meaning when they were first offered in the AGR catalog?
Jerry mentioned on the first page of this thread that they sold for $60. I bought one in 2011 but I must have removed it from my spreadsheet when I passed it on.

I did find an A.G. Russell Sowbelly Trapper on my spreadsheet that I bought on 3/1/11. That was a large two blade knife and I paid $64.95 at that time.
Rick T.

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks Railsplitter.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Received mine & have to say I'm disappointed. Blade fit and snap is fine. Issue is the bone sides have lifted - would never see a current production Case come through like this ... and presumably this AGR knife had the same price point as a Case knife when they came out a few years ago. Maybe I just got a lemon, but if I paid $60 a few years ago for this knife, it would have gone back immediately...
IMG_8529.JPG
IMG_8532.JPG
I'm going to keep it & maybe try and put some new sides on it someday ... it sure does have one honkin big wharncliffe on a relatively small frame.

John
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Copied from the A.G.Russell website in 2011.
All Four.jpg
A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Zulu Spear™ Blade Amber Jigged Bone - (RUS-CJ23AJB)
$59.95
Qty:
Type Folder
Blade Zulu Spear
Blade Length 3″
Steel 12C27
Rockwell 57-58
Lock Slip Joint
Bolsters Stainless
Liners Stainless
Handle Amber Jigged Bone
Closed Length 3-5/8″
Weight 2.9 oz.
Origin China

A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Zulu Spear™ Blade Smooth White Bone - (RUS-CJ23SWB)
$59.95
Qty:
Handle Smooth White Bone

A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Wharncliffe Blade Amber Jigged Bone - (RUS-CJ13AJB)
$59.95
Qty:
Type Folder
Blade Wharncliffe
Blade Length 3″
Blade Steel 12C27
Rockwell 57-58
Lock Slipjoint
Bolsters Stainless
Liners Stainless
Handle Amber Jigged Bone
Closed Length 3-5/8″
Weight 2.9 oz
Origin China

A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Wharncliffe Blade Smooth White Bone - (RUS-CJ13SWB)
$59.95
Qty:
Handle Smooth White Bone
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have taken a very old handle pattern and added a Wharncliffe blade made as the original designer intended. The blade measures fifty percent thicker than most other Wharncliffe blades and tapers to the edge and to the point. With a straight cutting edge and a needle point, the Wharncliffe blade works beautifully for digging a splinter out of your finger, cutting an article from the newspaper or making a fuzz stick.
Using the same handle, we have inserted a second style blade, our zulu spear patterned after a 1920s Schrade blade; basically a droppoint with a strong cut swedge to which we have added a double pull. As with all our slip joint folders, before putting this knife into production, the prototypes were mechanically opened and closed over 300,000 times. I do not want you to ever have to experience a broken spring.
The blades, at just under 3" (a legal length nearly anywhere), are Swedish 12C27 stainless at 56-58 Rc. with a satin finish. The bolsters, liners and Norman shield are all of 400 series stainless steel. Today, the knives are available in only smooth white bone and amber jigged bone. If our customers like the knife, you will be seeing it in other handle materials. This knife is designed for pocket carry so we have not designed a belt pouch for it. Measures just 3-5/8" closed and weighs 2.9 oz. Made in China.
A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Zulu Spear™ Blade Amber Jigged Bone
(In Stock)

A.RUS-CJ23AJB $59.95

A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Zulu Spear™ Blade Smooth White Bone
(In Stock)
B.RUS-CJ23SWB $59.95

A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Wharncliffe Blade Amber Jigged Bone
(In Stock)
C.RUS-CJ13AJB $59.95

A.G. Russell™ Curved Regular Jack Wharncliffe Blade Smooth White Bone
(In Stock)
D.RUS-CJ13SWB $59.95
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Chinese-made knives”