Whittle stick bear.

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doug51

Whittle stick bear.

Post by Doug51 »

Whittled out of a stick of basswood and added a fishing pole. Torched a finish on it but got it a little darker than I wanted.
Attachments
IMG_20190406_210512216.jpg
Doc B

Re: Whittle stick bear.

Post by Doc B »

Very nice, with high "grin factor"! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Whoa Doug, I like it. Knice touch with the pole and fish. That is cool. Thank you for sharing. And bears come in a lot of colors so nothing wrong with the torch work. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great bear ! You are a talented artist. I could not carve a piece of wood into looking like anything but a mess. You must have to visualize the bear in the wood when you begin to whittle ? I am not able to imagine any specific shapes when looking at a piece of wood. This is why i think it takes an "artist", i.e. someone who can visualize the image he wants to create.
I like Fishing Bear !
kj
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Thanks guys.
KJ that's pretty much how I do it is start with a idea in my head. I get a lot of ideas from looking at others work. Don't sell yourself short. Anyone can do this stuff. Watch a couple u tube videos by Doug Linker. He's shows how to carve a little bear. The nice thing about using a stick is they are free and plentiful to learn on.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Did another one today.
Attachments
IMG_20190411_134813856_HDR.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug, you've got the bear thing down. Another great job! ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Doug, you've got the bear thing down. Another great job! ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks. I'm adding a fishing pole and fish to this one also. I need to practice making these. The arms aren't quite how I want them and my knife needs to be sharpened.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Very nice!!! I like it!
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I did not carve until I joined a seniors center that had a carving group and a huge wood shop. and lot's of guidance. I bought a lot of figurines at garage sales etc. of birds and animals. Andrea by Sadot birds, resin casts and such like .50 cents to $2. to study proportions and in the round. Went to lots of carving shows and even displayed at a few smaller shows. In summery most people can learn to do carving. Bass wood is best but need to know how to buy it cost effectively. Good luck to all you fine guy's and ladies. Bob
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

mrwatch wrote:I did not carve until I joined a seniors center that had a carving group and a huge wood shop. and lot's of guidance. I bought a lot of figurines at garage sales etc. of birds and animals. Andrea by Sadot birds, resin casts and such like .50 cents to $2. to study proportions and in the round. Went to lots of carving shows and even displayed at a few smaller shows. In summery most people can learn to do carving. Bass wood is best but need to know how to buy it cost effectively. Good luck to all you fine guy's and ladies. Bob
MRWatch, I assumed you had been carving all you life. Thanks for the guidance and encouragement to us nubies. ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

A little update. I'm going to add a few more things to it. Thinking about a canoe or a campfire and maybe a pine tree. Thought it looked nice in black and white.
Attachments
IMG_20190413_142325467.jpg
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Picture in color
Attachments
IMG_20190413_143723665.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug the accruements add to it loads. The fish, the hatchet is awesome and the bottle proves he is a fisherman. I'm going to enjoy your progressing with this project. Cool, cool, cool! ::nod::

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”