A Few Stag Barlows For the Oregon Show

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A Few Stag Barlows For the Oregon Show

Post by orvet »

The April 12-14 is the Oregon Knife Collectors Association (OKCA) annual show in Eugene Oregon. http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/
I was able to get started on some knives for the show earlier than most years. Usually it seems I’m in a panic the week before the show trying to get everything ready, this year I started out getting things ready by a couple weeks ago. Hopefully with six weeks to prepare I will have some cool stuff for the show.

I have several Works In Progress, (WIP) and I’m doing a number of Barlows in stag. I don’t have time at the moment post each one separately, so I thought I would show you what I am doing in one big thread. This is just a quick glance some of the things I’ve got going that are probably a little closer to being finished then some of the others.

To give you a look at the quality stag I am using here is one picture that shows four Barlows and a Schrade 123OT. It only shows one side of the handle but it can give you an idea of the nice stag. I will update from time to time with more pictures as I finish up the knives.
WIP for 2019 OKCA Show - Barlows.jpg

I know this is not a Barlow but I know you stag lovers will probably like this one Schrade-Walden 165OT with stag. Pardon the Gorilla Tape on this one, it's sharp! It was tough to find stag thick enough to replace the original handles but for a small fortune… I found a set. I can’t wait to get it finished!
WIP Schrade Walden 165 custom stag.jpg
You guys have been very good about giving advice and opinions when I have asked for it, and I do appreciate and value your opinions. Please don’t hesitate to share your opinions on these knives. Thank you! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Re: A Few Stag Barlows For the Oregon Show

Post by FRJ »

Just my opinion ...... I think they're off to a very good start to being extremely desirable knives. ::tu:: ::tu::

Even though they are unfinished they really look nice, Dale.
Joe
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

They look nice. ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Wish I was near Oregon, to check 'em out in person! Going to be some nice ones ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Nicely figured stag Dale and the red bone will pop on that last knife as well. I look forward to seeing pics of them finished. ::tu::
Greg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I really like the stag on the Schrade and the Primble!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks Glenn,
I'm hoping to make some progress on these today, if I have time I'll post some updates.

Several years ago at the Oregon show I bought a piece of stag about 5 to 6 inches long with beautiful uniform popcorn. I bought it from (the late) Wayne Goddard whose table was right behind mine. Over the years I got a lot of neat tools, tips, tricks, information and handle material from him. This particular piece of stag; was the most perfect one I had ever seen except it had a hole drilled into it from the side and another small hole drilled for a pin. Wayne told me he had made it for a handle to something or other but had never used it. I was able to get one really nice set of scales out of that piece of stag. I'll post them later also.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Okay, it was smaller than I thought it was, just over 3 in but you can see the beautiful popcorn on this piece of stag. It could have been a little longer and I would have probably used it as a hidden tang fixed blade handle, but now it will have to work as a folder handle.
I thought this piece was remarkably well figured.
Attachments
20190315_092237~2.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Those are pretty nice also!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Some great stag Dale. Superb popcorn and am loving your Schrade.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I didn't get a chance to post pictures of these knives before I left for the show, unfortunately I took some pictures because the John Primble and the Schrade went home with someone else.
The Utica is still my workbench unfinished, the Case Barlow will soon be looked at in my store, the Schrade Walden 165OT is currently listed in my store and the 124UH, (I mistakenly listed it as a 123OT), will soon be listed in my store also.

I hope you enjoy the updated pictures.

CASE BARLOW:
Case Barlow 62009 -Custom with stag a.jpg
Case Barlow 62009 -Custom with stag b.jpg
Case Barlow 62009 -Custom with stag c.jpg
Case Barlow 62009 -Custom with stag e.jpg
JOHN PRIMBLE BARLOW:
John Primble Barlow- customized w Stag c.jpg
John Primble Barlow- customized w Stag d.jpg
John Primble Barlow- customized w Stag e.jpg
John Primble Barlow- customized w Stag f.jpg

I just discovered I forgot to take any pictures of the completed Schrade Barlow! ::dang::

There are a number of pictures of the 165OT listed in my store, Orvet Customs, here on AAPK. Instead of reposting some of those pictures here I will post some pictures of the Remington fixed blade that I made and to the show. It will be listed in my store I get a chance to get things caught up.

I got the blank for this Remington around 2007 or 2008, after the Camillus bankruptcy auction. So if you recall there were lots of unfinished Camillus made blades floating around the web. I bought several lot quantities of Camillus blades and still buy them now when I see them at a reasonable price in good condition. I hope you enjoy the pictures of this Remington:
Remington Stag custom a.jpg
Remington Stag custom b.jpg
Remington Stag custom c.jpg
Remington Stag custom d.jpg
Remington Stag custom e.jpg
I hope you enjoyed the pictures. I will have more pictures coming in the days ahead as I have opportunity to photograph them getting them ready for my store.
Thanks again for your feedback and your support. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Winchester M21

Post by Winchester M21 »

Those are beautiful Dale!!
Life is too short to carry an ugly knife!!
Shawn
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dale I'm sitting here breathing in a paper bag after seeing all that beautiful stag. Thanks. ::nod:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Beautiful work!
eveled

Post by eveled »

Love your work Dale. You have a lot of talent and great taste. ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement. ::nod::

The Case, Schrade & Primble Barlow are all gone, the 165OT is in my store. The Remington will be in my store as soon as I get a chance to listed, the same is true for the red bone handled 124UH, I hope to get those listed today.
The Utica New Holland Barlow is still sitting in pieces on my bench, I ran out of time to get everything put together before the show. As soon as I get it reassembled it will go into my store also.

As everyone probably knows Sambar Stag is getting more and more difficult to find. The story I heard most recently, and have heard several times, is that the gathering of the Sambar Stag sheds disrupts the tigers as they share the same habitat with the stags. Tigers in India are enormous business, people come from all over the world to ride on elephants and watch tigers doing whatever tigers do from the back of an elephant. Because tigers are such huge tourist attractions (read moneymakers) in India that the ban on exportation of Sambar Stag has been made permanent so that people gathering their shed antlers don't disturb the tourists and the tigers. I guess that's the way it goes. ::shrug::

One piece of good news is that I was able to buy six sets of nice older Sambar Stag at the show. I got six sets from Ron Lake, who is one of our club members. He said he has had the stag for 15 years, so I'm not sure exactly how old it is but it has nice figuring, good popcorn and it's not half an inch thick! I was going to post a picture, but for some reason it's not allowing me to add pictures. I will add them just as soon as I can.
Thanks again for your interest and support.

Okay, here's a picture of the six sets of stag that I got from Ron Lake.
Stag from Ron Lake 2019.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”