Shehab cutlery co. Pittsburg PA

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Matte401

Shehab cutlery co. Pittsburg PA

Post by Matte401 »

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Acquired my first straight razor the other day. I am from Pittsburgh PA. and I purchased this razor locally on Letgo. The name on the shank is Shehab Cutlery Co. Pittsburg Pa. After searching google and local turn of the century business records I remain stumped as to the age of this razor. Pittsburgh has a bit of a history of dropping the H from its name. The last time that happened was around 1905-1910ish. Hope someone has run across a blade with this manufacturers stamp. Thanks everyone!
Attachments
20190428_095102.jpg
20190428_095115.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Shehab cutlery co. Pittsburg PA

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome to AAPK, the friendliest cutlery site on the World Wide Web. ::tu::

That is a very nice looking hollow ground razor.

I looked in Goins Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings and Shehab is not listed.

Other than protracted internet searches, that is the extent of my reference sources.

I was not aware that, at times, the "H" had been dropped from Pittsburgh. Interesting.

Hopefully, one of our straight razor collectors or aficionados will come along with some definitive information.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Matte401

Post by Matte401 »

Thanks Charlie! I appreciate your leg work and the warm welcome. :D
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Taking a semi wild ass, yet somewhat educated guess, I would estimate that razor to be from the 1900 to late 1920s. Based simply on the style and the handle material. The name on that razor was most likely an importer or perhaps a small hardware or cutlery supply company. Razor may have been made in the states for Shehab. It could have been made in Germany and marked with a "wash stamp" country of origin which was later removed. Wash Stamps were sufficient to fool the customs people yet easily removed to fool the end user. Not much way to tell for sure.

Either way, it looks to be a very nice survivor.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Matte401

Post by Matte401 »

Thanks, those are great points. I had not considered the importer scenario. That would explain the lack of online info. I will check business records for importers and hardware stores in that time frame. Thanks Wullie! ::tu:: ::tu::
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Go to your Main City Library and search the "City Directories" from 1900 forward for "Shehab".

If and when you find the correct one, the address and principal line of work will be detailed.

Even if the business was operated out of a home, if they had a license, they will be listed.

Nobody produces City Directories any longer, but they are a great source for this kind of information.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Matte401

Post by Matte401 »

I actually found a website that has compiled Pittsburgh's business records from the late 1800's on. I was initially searching under cutlery. When I get a chance I will search under imports and hardware. Thanks again for the recommendations Charlie!

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”