Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
rarefish383

Re: Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by rarefish383 »

Wow, I went back a couple pages and man did I miss some nice ones. I hang out on an Arborist site and they have an Ax forum. There was an auction in Edinburg VA last weekend. They had a collection of 40 or more axes, several Cruisers. I should have posted the sale here. Is there any site rule against posting live auctions. If not, I'll post big collections. This auction house does take phone bids on items and ship.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

rarefish383 wrote:
muskrat man wrote:At least far as collecting goes my interest has turned to axes over knives. Basically my sole interest is the Jersey pattern I am nearing about 120 pieces in the collection thus far. I do enjoy giving old battered ones a facelift almost as much as I do finding very clean all original examples.
I live in MD and I find more Jersey's than all other styles put together. I've taken pics of ones that I passed because they were beat to death, and had people give me heck. In some parts of the country guys have never seen one. I sent one to London as a surprise, got his address from a friend, and the young guy bout had a stroke. Wanted to pay me back. I paid less than a bottle of beer for it. A guy bid $5 on an old Craftsman tool box with a pile of odds and ends in it. I offered him $2 for the ax, all he wanted was the tool box. I do prefer doubles, especially Cruisers. That is a pile of nice ones you have there. Most of my Jersey's are no name, but I do have a couple Plumbs and a Dunlap that I can think of.
If you come across any decent ones with markings that you'd let go of hit me up I have plenty of trading fodder, and green :D
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

A few more
Attachments
Mann True American  (1).jpg
Snow & Neally 3 lb (1).jpg
TBA (1).jpg
true temper red  warrior kelly works 4 (1).jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What little I know about knives I know even less about hatchets and axes.
But they sure are nice to look at. Thanks for all the pictures.
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very cool MM. ::nod:: ::tu::
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Very nice MM. The embossing on that Black Raven is spectacular.

Here’s a picture of the full haul from my recent purchase. I haven’t yet done anything with the Collins or Hults Bruk. Both have solid handles so I’ll probably just clean the heads a bit. I was hoping to save the Keen Kutter handle but it’s in worse shape than I originally thought.
F1839DBA-8A66-461F-96BC-FF072D6DF250.jpeg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

muskrat man wrote:
rarefish383 wrote:
muskrat man wrote:At least far as collecting goes my interest has turned to axes over knives. Basically my sole interest is the Jersey pattern I am nearing about 120 pieces in the collection thus far. I do enjoy giving old battered ones a facelift almost as much as I do finding very clean all original examples.
I live in MD and I find more Jersey's than all other styles put together. I've taken pics of ones that I passed because they were beat to death, and had people give me heck. In some parts of the country guys have never seen one. I sent one to London as a surprise, got his address from a friend, and the young guy bout had a stroke. Wanted to pay me back. I paid less than a bottle of beer for it. A guy bid $5 on an old Craftsman tool box with a pile of odds and ends in it. I offered him $2 for the ax, all he wanted was the tool box. I do prefer doubles, especially Cruisers. That is a pile of nice ones you have there. Most of my Jersey's are no name, but I do have a couple Plumbs and a Dunlap that I can think of.
If you come across any decent ones with markings that you'd let go of hit me up I have plenty of trading fodder, and green :D
My Brother in Law lives in Boardman, anywhere close to you? I have friends in Pickerington too. Always need a reason for a road trip.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

rarefish383 wrote:
muskrat man wrote:
rarefish383 wrote: I live in MD and I find more Jersey's than all other styles put together. I've taken pics of ones that I passed because they were beat to death, and had people give me heck. In some parts of the country guys have never seen one. I sent one to London as a surprise, got his address from a friend, and the young guy bout had a stroke. Wanted to pay me back. I paid less than a bottle of beer for it. A guy bid $5 on an old Craftsman tool box with a pile of odds and ends in it. I offered him $2 for the ax, all he wanted was the tool box. I do prefer doubles, especially Cruisers. That is a pile of nice ones you have there. Most of my Jersey's are no name, but I do have a couple Plumbs and a Dunlap that I can think of.
My Brother in Law lives in Boardman, anywhere close to you? I have friends in Pickerington too. Always need a reason for a road trip.

Nearly 5 hours from me
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Here’s the Plumb Anchor cleaned up after the vinegar and steal wool treatment.
B35356AA-5EB5-4BC9-8FDF-92FA9F2CF1E0.jpeg
BCE22506-AA95-4E63-A5EA-AD6A8AF86438.jpeg
14F7BDC4-7FBD-4C22-BF53-A4D79554CFE8.jpeg
7D3BB979-BC93-4A02-9D73-C956B4F327A1.jpeg
EF77F87F-A2AA-4857-A999-9318A44E3F31.jpeg
642C1559-F4F9-45C0-9187-B389ED6BD4EE.jpeg
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Putting more work into the HB. First two are before I did much of anything.
F2D28B67-EDCA-4566-AA0D-BF36EDD04028.jpeg
DBA75E5E-6706-4A7C-88DC-87CE6731D5B2.jpeg
I wanted to preserve the original paint and was worried vinegar would strip it. After a little research I went with Evapo-Rust. Here’s what it looks like after an overnight soak.
F6A90AA5-545A-4720-B53E-2410B0AF2B31.jpeg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

WOW, that plumb is cool. Sorry it took so long to get back. I'm putting a 12X40 building on my property in WV. I've had to drive 2.5 hours each way 7-8 times in the last 3 weeks, just to point and say put it there, to the contractors.
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Rare fish-Isn’t that Plumb a beauty? That sounds like a lot of work for a small structure.

Here’s the HB after a cleaning, oiling and sharpening. I think I’m going to sell it on to pay for the rest of the collection.
39930C8B-F343-478E-B67E-CE68C5176A6F.jpeg
CF141AFA-B3E1-475D-91AC-C2D79BE45688.jpeg
C43C4CA0-6A89-49C6-B70D-4151BC452CEC.jpeg
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Wooo doggie am I excited. So yesterday I was running some errands and saw a sign for an estate sale. After poking around I found my way to the garage where I noticed a mattock and axe. The mattock was in good condition but nothing special. The axe was quite rusty but a quick glanced revealed an older style embossed stamp, so I knew I was onto something. I stopped examining it so as not to arouse attention, paid the $8 and took it out to examine it. Imagine my surprise at what had found!
422892FA-B763-4B53-A7A7-E3D367365BEF.jpeg
It’s on a replacement Dunlap handle that someone had covered in fiberglass on both the eye and below the head. I assumed was cracked, but after removing most of the fiberglass the handle appears sound. Unfortunately, whomever replaced the handle seems to have used the fiberglass to secure the head to the handle and the resin is in the gaps between the handle and head in the eye.

I’d like to remove the head, clean it and rehang it properly on the same handle. Any suggestions for getting the fiberglass resin out without damaging the handle or head?
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's a very cool looking axe head!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I don't collect axes or hatchets, but these 2 have been in my family forever. The one WITHOUT the handle has no stamp or markings of any kind (that I can find). The one WITH the handle is marked STANLEY MADE IN U.S.A. I'm not 100% sure, but I think
this was my father's when he was a lineman for N.Y. Telephone Company. If so, then 1946 to late 1950s? He could have obtained it later, but I would have no idea when. ::shrug::
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't really collect hatchet, but I have a few.
I got this one mainly because I collect Keen Kutter items.
Any info would be nice. Such as what is this style called?
Attachments
20190525_164557.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Doc B-Thanks. I’m still a little giddy about that find.

New Windsor-That’s definitely a lineman’s Hatchet so it would make sense that your dad picked it up when he worked as a lineman. Stanley made a lot of them for Bell and I believe that those all have a Bell Systems stamp on the opposite side. I wonder if yours has a stamp on the reverse.

Edge213-You have what’s known as a hewing hatchet, used in finishing logs into timber or even more refined work.
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

Bfeldman wrote:Rare fish-Isn’t that Plumb a beauty? That sounds like a lot of work for a small structure.

Here’s the HB after a cleaning, oiling and sharpening. I think I’m going to sell it on to pay for the rest of the collection.
39930C8B-F343-478E-B67E-CE68C5176A6F.jpegCF141AFA-B3E1-475D-91AC-C2D79BE45688.jpegC43C4CA0-6A89-49C6-B70D-4151BC452CEC.jpeg
Attachments
20190413_112648.jpg
20190413_113429.jpg
rarefish383

Post by rarefish383 »

For some reason I was having trouble getting pics to post. My problem is my drive is over a mile and a half long with sevearl other farms drives off of it. I had to get the building manufacturer to see if they could get the building in. Then the local quarry is just a few miles away, just over the line in VA. They only have 4 trucks they can run into WV. WV requires "Apportioned Tags", and there trucks with them are quad axle dumps. He couldn't cross our cattle bridges. The guy that is doing the grading has the same problem. The only truck he can haul gravel on doesn't have Apportioned Tags. Finally found a WV guy that could do it, but he had to make two loads with his smallest truck. Then I had several trips to widen the drive from about 7' wide to 14' wide, the entire length of the drive. It will be all finished next week.
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

rarefish383 wrote:For some reason I was having trouble getting pics to post. My problem is my drive is over a mile and a half long with sevearl other farms drives off of it. I had to get the building manufacturer to see if they could get the building in. Then the local quarry is just a few miles away, just over the line in VA. They only have 4 trucks they can run into WV. WV requires "Apportioned Tags", and there trucks with them are quad axle dumps. He couldn't cross our cattle bridges. The guy that is doing the grading has the same problem. The only truck he can haul gravel on doesn't have Apportioned Tags. Finally found a WV guy that could do it, but he had to make two loads with his smallest truck. Then I had several trips to widen the drive from about 7' wide to 14' wide, the entire length of the drive. It will be all finished next week.
Sounds like a Royal PITA!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I just had this rehandled my our own muskrat man.....he thinks it's an old Snow & Healey. It's a Hudson Bay pattern for sure!

Can't wait to use it....

last pic is before I sent it to him!!
Attachments
IMG_5572.JPG
IMG_5571.JPG
IMG_5184.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is knice Scott. Muskrat man seems to be the axe guru. He sure does good work. Congrats. Better than a new one. ::tu:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

If there is such a thing as a handsome axe, yours fills the bill Scott.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Bfeldman wrote:New Windsor-That’s definitely a lineman’s Hatchet so it would make sense that your dad picked it up when he worked as a lineman. Stanley made a lot of them for Bell and I believe that those all have a Bell Systems stamp on the opposite side. I wonder if yours has a stamp on the reverse.
It is/was definitely stamped BELL SYSTEM. It appears that someone tried to "erase" it. You can still make out enough of the lettering to know what it says/said. I'm sure there's a good story in there somewhere. It's a shame I don't nor will I ever know what it was. ::dang::
Click To Enlarge.
(Original Post Near Top Of This Page)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Bfeldman

Post by Bfeldman »

Scott-that’s a beauty. And looks a lot like the snow and neally that I’ve got (posted earlier in the thread)

New Windsor- that certainly does add to the mystery! Clearly someone wasn’t happy with Bell at some point.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”