Tales of Viet Nam

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Tales of Viet Nam

Post by Quick Steel »

Some years ago I wrote some observations of my Viet Nam experience. I did this to pass them on to following generations of family. Here is one such brief extract.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Previously in this commentary I mentioned in passing the beauty of the country. To expand.

Most days in VN followed a routine until broken up by conflict. Whether working in the foothills of the Annamite mountains or up in the Central Highlands, at about 3 to 4 P.M. we would head for and climb the highest hill/mountain in our map grid. We did this because we always wanted to camp for the night on the highest available terrain.

It has been a basic military principal for thousands of years "to hold the high ground." It is a great advantage. Should we be attacked at night we, the ARVN, would have that advantage. The enemy would have to struggle upwards while we were shooting at them. So we would climb to the top of the hill to make our camp. The troops would spread around the perimeter preparing their fighting positions. I and my Sgt would, like the ARVN officers, be more in the center of the camp.

First order of business was finding the two trees I wanted to use to string up my hammock. I would almost invariably use my knife to cut off thin branches sticking out of the tree trunks. [This is the knife given to me by my friends the ------- whom I have often mentioned.] Then tying the nylon hammock to the trees was a simple matter.

An observation: That hammock provided me with some of the best sleep of my life. Very comfortable indeed. There was only one instance, apart from combat, when I had a bad sleep. It was in the Central Highlands and I awoke to find that an army of communist ants was using my hammock, and me, as an expressway between the two trees.

So then the Sgt. and I would make a very small fire to heat up our rations. If we were carrying LRRP [Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol] rations which were lightweight because they were dehydrated, we had to add water, heat, stir and consume. No matter how much water and stirring there were always a few hard bits remaining. Had to avoid biting into them; like biting into a pebble. I assure you that eating rehydrated spaghetti is a culinary experience not to be missed.

After supper, making a quick weapons check and calling in on the radio to report our position for the night came my favorite moment of the day. I would light my pipe and, sitting or lying in the hammock, watch the sunset. This was often beautiful. The camp was becoming quiet, the air was still and one could be deceived into thinking that this was a land of peace.

Sometimes during the night we would become aware of a battle occurring miles away. Usually too far to even hear the gun fire. But we could easily see the lights of battle. The green tracer bullets of the NVA being answered by the red tracer bullets of our side. Often, parachute flares would be launched from a mortar and we would see the flares hovering in the sky like archangels illuminating the battle.

In the morning we awoke to a rising sun accompanied by its rising heat. A few minutes to brew up some coffee, savor another pipe, listen to the insects and birds come to life, pack away the hammok and other gear, then descend leaving the mountain top behind.
samb1955

Re: Tales of Viet Nam

Post by samb1955 »

That's a good read! I graduated high school in 1974 and didn't have to go. From what I hear from people that were there I got lucky.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well, Quick Steel, I'm sorry you had to be there and I'm glad you came home.
I enjoyed your well written story.
I missed that spaghetti dinner, thankfully.
While I wasn't in a gun fight, I saw many of those eerie flares.
Joe
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Nice Story QS ::tu:: ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Thanks for posting QS. Enjoyed the read!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Excellent story QS. Thanks for the story and for serving. ::handshake::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for that story QS. Reminds me of some of the things my dad wrote about his experiences in the Philippines during WWII.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Garry thank you for sharing this with us and thank you, sir, for your service. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I appreciate all your comments guys. I truly do. But we have many AAPK members who served and hundreds of thousands more we shall never know. In sharing these memories I do so to keep alive the memory of all those who served in any capacity, especially those who made the supreme sacrifice and those whose bodies or minds were shattered in doing their duty. My generation is fading quickly. I sometimes wonder if some of today's snowflakes will ever understand or even recall the generations who preceded them. I do not worry about the fine children and grandchildren of our members who give us the occasional glimpse of the splendid youngsters they are raising.

If it is not an imposition, from time to time I'd like to offer a few more sketches of my experience. It serves as sort of a catharsis which I find personally useful. Thanks again.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Please feel free to tell us about your experiences Garry. It's getting to the point where the mind muscle needs jogging now and then. I was not a combat Marine so any tales I would have to tell are not about blood and guts. Carry on.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I would like to hear from both of you about your time there.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I find first-hand accounts...of those that served...to be some of the most interesting reading, to be found. Additional stories welcome!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quick Steel wrote:I appreciate all your comments guys. I truly do. But we have many AAPK members who served and hundreds of thousands more we shall never know. In sharing these memories I do so to keep alive the memory of all those who served in any capacity, especially those who made the supreme sacrifice and those whose bodies or minds were shattered in doing their duty. My generation is fading quickly. I sometimes wonder if some of today's snowflakes will ever understand or even recall the generations who preceded them. I do not worry about the fine children and grandchildren of our members who give us the occasional glimpse of the splendid youngsters they are raising.

If it is not an imposition, from time to time I'd like to offer a few more sketches of my experience. It serves as sort of a catharsis which I find personally useful. Thanks again.

Garry, Great story. So many times the story focuses on the battles or something unusual. Yet there were many idle moments like these to take in an appreciate. I like reading about Vietnam and WWII and WWI. My cousin was shot to death by a sniper in 1972 in Cambodia I believe, he was 18. My dad served in Korea and my wife’s father served in the Pacific in WWII. All saw combat. My wife’s father wouldn’t talk about all that he went through. He did mention a funny situation when they were watching a western on the side of a hill on an island. He said everyone knew this gunshot was going to happen in the movie and when it did, everyone hit the deck anyway.
I think it’s great that you could appreciate the unusual place you were and the times you lived in. I know it’s said a lot, but I really appreciate anyone who made the sacrifice to serve this great country we live in. Thank you.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:o Those who served all have stories of our military experiences. I was Navy and served on a Destroyer in Vietnam, all vet stories are seen from different ways. Some saw combat some didn't, most of the time it was boring and routine, some things we'd like to forget other things we remember, good friends, good times.Thank you all for your service! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Thank you Q,
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

QS, after reading this account I was hoping that you would share others. Thanks for a well written and from the heart account and I for one look forward for future chapters. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks for sharing that QS. And please, share more!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote::o Those who served all have stories of our military experiences. I was Navy and served on a Destroyer in Vietnam, all vet stories are seen from different ways. Some saw combat some didn't, most of the time it was boring and routine, some things we'd like to forget other things we remember, good friends, good times.Thank you all for your service! ftd
You hit the nail on the head, Ferg. I've said many times, everyone's service is different. What you experienced depends on:
1) Who you were with, from service branch all the way down to the unit you served with.
2) What your MOS (job) was
3) Where you were
4) When you were there
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Great story Garry, enjoyed it very much...but one thing for me very
personally stuck out...the thing that has kept me from not going off
the deep end in life's trial's.........
No matter how bad it gets, setting back, and that relaxing draw on that pipe packed
in with your favorite backie !!! Calmed down, and time to reflect what your next move is !!!

Will
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

So true stagman, so very true.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great story Garry! ::tu::

I quit smoking my pipes (I had a collection of course) about 20 years ago. I still miss them!
I didn't take a pipe overseas with me as I had just started smoking a pipe a little bit before I got orders; but I did acquire a few briars and a corncob or two after I got medevaced back home.
I think I got my first decent briar pipe between stays in the hospital while I was assigned as I a troop handler for Casual Company at the Marine Barracks on Treasure Island, CA.

I still have some of my favorite briars, several Comoys and GBD's, Sasiani 4 dots, etc. I even have several seconds or house brands that were very good smoking pipes, just not expensive. I suppose my favorite of all my pipes is the Comoy Blue Riband, one of my best pipes! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

At one time Dale, in my youth, I had over a hundred pipes. Now only a couple; nothing near as good as yours anymore. I have fond memories of being 20, sitting around a campfire on the shores of Lake Michigan [Door County Penninsula] with a couple of fellow pipe smokers. As we drew on our pipes there seemed to be no world problem that we did not have the answers to. Somehow our solutions never took hold. Too bad because at that age we knew everything. :)
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very nicely related story. Thanks for posting it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have been to Door County in the spring. It was a bit too cold for camping, but even then the beauty of Door County is impressive!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I very much enjoyed reading this.
I guess my perspective of Vietnam is a ways from the reality. Being born in ‘60, Canadian and female, it really has no direct impact on me. I didn’t know anyone who had been in it, although I have since met some fellows who served.
In behind all the hype and controversy, there were, finally, men. It’s immensely important to remember that. Your day to day life, beyond the fighting, needs to be recorded and remembered. Plus, it’s just plain interesting!
I’d like to know more about it. What you ate, what card games you played, what you talked about. How did you handle the boring times?

Please, keep writing! You do it well. It flows.
My respects.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”

Return to “Mostly True Stories”