#12 Small Toothpick

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

#12 Small Toothpick

Post by kootenay joe »

The #12 Small Toothpicks have just shown up with a most attractive aqua camel bone. I think there have been other #12's released in last 1-2 weeks ?
I have not been paying attention to GEC lately.
Does anyone have one of the 2019 #12 pattern knives ? If so what is your opinion of it so far ?
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Re: #12 Small Toothpick

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

77889933244556002112.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

GEC#12 Tidioute Che Chen Rosewood 4"closed toothpick knife --- Che Chen Rosewood come from the Caribbean Islands.
7689943555551.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

GEC#12 Tidioute aqua camel bone toothpick knife
7689900023443.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

65777788822223311119.png
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. so far only the Che Chen and aqua camel bone have been sent to dealers. Anyone have a Che Chen ? They came out a few daze ago.
Like to hear about snap.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

2 on the way. Was reserved as "green camel bone" but this is good too.
Attachments
GE128119AC-1-768x576.jpg
GE128119AC-2-768x576.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

TB please be sure to post your evaluation of this knife when they arrive. One of the dealers gives 6.5 as pull strength which sounds about perfect for this knife. Hopefully all have a similar strength spring.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote:TB please be sure to post your evaluation of this knife when they arrive. One of the dealers gives 6.5 as pull strength which sounds about perfect for this knife. Hopefully all have a similar strength spring.
Similar to CK who says snap is a 6 while W&T is 4 of 5. I'll post my impressions when the first gets here (had to order from 2 dealers to get 2 knives). I turned out not to be too disappointed on the change from green camel bone to aqua blue and I think the size of the 12 is right in the wheelhouse for this pattern.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

With most new GEC releases a thread gets started in this forum and we chat about our hopes/likes/dislikes, etc. about it weeks before it gets released.
This has not happened with these #12's. I started this thread about 5 or more days after the first ones showed up at the dealers and not many of the GEC 'regulars' have posted.
Are most of you not interested in this pattern ? It was released a few years ago, but other re-introduced patterns have received a popular welcome.
What do you think about this pattern ?
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Personally, I'm not a real toothpick fan. I'm probably in the minority.
I'll sit on the sidelines, for this one.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Doc B "'m probably in the minority. " I'm not sure about that. There does not seem to be much interest in this #12 pattern.
kj
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

For me, it’s the #8 muskrat clip blade. Such a slender blade seems a bit overwhelmed by the dramatic frame of a toothpick. I really like them with a #1 regular clip blade. Much more balanced. Plus more room more cut swedges and long pulls!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I reserved one in stag but I'm not familiar with the GEC #12. I like my old Case toothpicks but I'm guessing these are a bit smaller. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

They are 4" which 'in person' is much smaller than a full size 5" toothpick.
I agree that the blade might be more narrow, spine to edge, than it could have been. It is not a beefy blade at all. It looks a bit anorexic. However when in hand it might seem just right. A knife can give a different impression in hand than in a picture. "Never judge a knife by the picture".
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:They are 4" which 'in person' is much smaller than a full size 5" toothpick.
I agree that the blade might be more narrow, spine to edge, than it could have been. It is not a beefy blade at all. It looks a bit anorexic. However when in hand it might seem just right. A knife can give a different impression in hand than in a picture. "Never judge a knife by the picture".
kj

I didn’t remember seeing a lot about this in advance like I did on the 97’s or the 06’s. This one kind of snuck up on me. I got one of the camel bones on order last week and I know I reserved 2 different ones from CK. I didn’t see much chatter about it on here or many emails about it. Personally I like a toothpick style. Don’t find it all that practical but I do like the looks of just about any toothpick I have ever seen. I don’t think I will be disappointed with these either.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it is practical for many people. It is not an outdoor work knife for sure. But to have along with you in the business world or just out & about, you are unlikely to ever need more than what this knife can do, which is basic easy cutting. A sensible EDC for maybe 75% ? of GEC buyers.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

I something last month about Toothpick knives. A blade-smith in France wanted to make a knife shaped like a "powder horn". (1880's ) A real "Texas Tooth Pick" is 5" or longer closed. These GEC#12 tooth picks are medium size.
IMG_8334.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

DLT Trading SFO GEC#12 Tidioute dark color jigged bone with oak leaf shield
IMG_8326.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I ordered one of these with the Aqua Camel bone and it was at the Northport P.O. when i went there today.
I like it !
Nicely made knife with gorgeous handles that look like light colored jade, translucent as though you can see into it.
Pull is what i think is just right for this size of knife. Not stiff, but no wimp either, satisfying 'clunk' as it snaps into fully open.
Blade edge is sharp enough, acceptable but not quite what it could be.
Does GEC do the final edge work by hand sharpening on stones ? or all belt sander work ? There is only a very narrow edge grind on this blade, you need a loupe to see it.
However, overall it is a good knife and i am happy i bought it, esp. this one with these super nice handles.
I will get some pics tomorrow.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

In the 1880s France , a French blade-smith wanted to make a large powder horn style knife. Later in Texas , Texas blade-smiths called them Texas Toothpicks. A Texas toothpick knife is 5" or longer closed. A 4" toothpick is a medium toothpick. A few knife producers use the term "small toothpick" to sell more knives. Effective , but bad blade manners ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !
Onearmbladejunkie

These Frank's Tidioute blood red bone toothpick knives have been shipped to Frank's. If you want one , sent him an email. He sells knives on AAPK too.
12-Blood-Red-Jigged-Bone-frank.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is "Jade", my #12. I just noticed there is a pin crack on the back side. Easy to see in the picture because it is larger than the knife. "In person" it is there but you have to look for it. Pin cracks seem to be fairly common with new stag or bone GEC knives.
These handle pieces really are beautiful so i am happy to keep it even though there is a crack.
kj
Attachments
IMGP6639.JPG
IMGP6640.JPG
IMGP6641.JPG
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

It’s a nice looking knife, KJ. Thank you for posting it. I’ve been interested to see some photos. The translucent quality of the aqua really is nice.
Onearmbladejunkie

GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY #12 AQUA CAMEL BONE
6577889999333221116.jpg
6577889999333221116.jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”