Nice try

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
petesknives

Nice try

Post by petesknives »

Kelly Hand made. On the other side you can see the True Temper stamp. Which was the True Value brand. Poor job sharpening it too. Looks like it sat out in the fields for a few years too.
Attachments
20190518_094728.jpg
20190518_094711.jpg
"Buy more ammo!" Johnnie Fain RIP

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
Hunter S. Thompson. RIP
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Nice try

Post by doglegg »

Pete, 'a rose by any other name'..... I guess you can't disguise and old axe head either. ::nod::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't know anything about axes. Are you saying that the Kelly Hand Made axes could not have been sold through that hardware chain? Knife cutleries did this all the time and sometimes both the cutlery stamp and the hardware stamp might appear on the knife. I can't imagine anyone duplicating that deep stamp into that axe; it would be easier to make an axe. It would be an enormous task if even possible, and little money in it. Where did you get the images? If you had furnished a link it might turn up something useful?
petesknives

Post by petesknives »

You are correct . Looked up Kellys Handmade axes on ebay and found a bunch.I thought these was a try at some sort of fakery. Will do more research next time.
"Buy more ammo!" Johnnie Fain RIP

"Buy the ticket, take the ride"
Hunter S. Thompson. RIP
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Kelly Axe & Tool Works was bought by American fork and hoe who later renamed the kelly Division "True Temper". True temper was not a hardware store brand. KW morphed into TT some time right after WWII if memory serves without having to look it up in my reference material.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Interesting bit of history in this thread. I have never come across any axes with the Kelly Stamp. That one looks used and abused.
Mel
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I had one of those for a while. I gave it to my nephew, who is an axe collector. If I remember correctly those "hand made" axes were pre 1917.
Bruce

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”