Rough Rider

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
OSCAR

Rough Rider

Post by OSCAR »

I purchased over 100 of these knives. Very well made at a terrific price. Last few weren’t as well made or their QC has gotten lax. One had new logo with Y in the name. Both weren’t sharpened as well as usual and one had a very weak spring. Overall though, probably one of my favorite Chinese makes. Here is a photo showing some of them. And they produced so many in so many patterns, they probably will never appreciate in value.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Doc B

Re: Rough Rider

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK. First try, didn't post picture. Maybe after you picked the file / attachment...if you downloaded it on to the site...you might not have selected "place inline" ? ::shrug::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. You may want to take another whack at that picture. It's a good idea to get in the habit of clicking on "Preview" before you click the "Submit" button, just to make sure your post is what you think it is. If you have trouble posting pictures, take a peek in the "Tips & Tricks" forum and read the applicable thread for posting pictures from your device. Here's the link ---► viewforum.php?f=98
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I also have lots of Rough Rider traditional style knives, maybe 250 of them ? All bought a few years ago except for maybe about 10 more recent ones. All are very sharp. Not even one has any real 'issue'.
Your experience with the recent ones suggests RR might be using a different manufacturer.
I bought my first ones in 2007 so Rough Rider has had at least a 12 year run of making excellent knives with zero incidence of any problems. (my experience of 250 bought on line, not pre selected). These might become the best knives ever made under the R.R. name.
Welcome to AAPK.
kj
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

2nd try
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's a nice colorful accumulation you have there.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Jerry. I have a lot more but I’m looking for a different brand that has great quality at a great price. I wasn’t as satisfied with the last few I bought. I can’t believe that the had buffalo horn or mop handles at such a great price. I think I got all of those that they made. I doubt they will increase in value as collectibles but I bought them for me and not to sell.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The wide variety of patterns, materials, and colors makes a very interesting and appealing collection. ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Marble’s Chinese made seem at least as good as RR. Where else can you get a quality knife with ram horn scales for fifteen bucks?
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Have a couple of rough riders and very happy with them, as mentioned on a previous post. Just received a small tobacco bone cotton sampler this morning. Really nice little knife. Going to use it as a cheese platter knife, will look great on the plate. I have a Marbles Rams Horn Stockman on order. Due next week, i am looking forward to comparing with my Rough Riders. Have a good weekend every one. ::ds::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

You will love it. They are at least as good. Rough Ryder seems to have gone down a bit lately. Maybe different manufacturers or less QC. The older ones I have are great !!! I have knives from many countries. Chinese aren’t the best but they are the best for the money, hands down. Look at AG Russell. They have a knife called War Eagle (Chinese) that are awesome for the price.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I have an A.G. Russell Rancher. Also made in China, but a great little knife. They have a video on it on page 5 of their knives section on their website if you are interested. I have a question, i am new to RR knives, people are saying on forums that they are not as good as they used to be, is this ones that are Rough Ryder. All mine are Rough Rider and they are all great little knives. Thought you might be able to help me on this. Thanks. ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Later RR I bought do not seem as well made, but still a good value. It could also be that the later ones I got were just coincidentally not as good or slipped through w/o the QC they usually have. Nothing is perfect. But they made so many that many offered for sale are still the older ones. At those prices I still chance it. If I get a lemon (rare). I return it. Not a big deal. Better to get at a store so you can see it, rather than online. If it’s possible, you can hand pick what you buy. The best selection for RR I have found is Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They have literally hundreds of different RR knives available online. I have over 100 of them and very few were of lesser quality. I returned 2 or so out of all I purchased. Also, look at AG Russell War Eagle line. Excellent for the price.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately i'm in Australia and all purchases have to be online and i just have to chance it. So far no probs, but i would much be able to see and handle any knife i purchase, but i am the same with everything i purchase. But over here we do not have retail knife outlets like you do over there. Thanks again, and enjoy your weekend. :)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

You too.

https://agrussell.com/knives

Http://SMKW.com.

Not sure if SMKW is practical because of what shipping may cost. It may be doable. They have enormous selection. They have about 800 different RR alone, not to mention just about every other brand. They sell online. Been to their showroom a few times. Four hour drive each way from my house, and if you are there days you won’t see all they have.

Have a great weekend!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

OSCAR wrote:You too.

https://agrussell.com/knives

Http://SMKW.com.

Not sure if SMKW is practical because of what shipping may cost. It may be doable. They have enormous selection. They have about 800 different RR alone, not to mention just about every other brand. They sell online. Been to their showroom a few times. Four hour drive each way from my house, and if you are there days you won’t see all they have.

Have a great weekend!
The below shipping chart is from SMKW website.
Unfortunately, it is only good for 48 US contiguous states. ::tear::

"SHIPPING AND HANDLING CHARGES
Merchandise Total Standard FedEx Ground FedEx 2nd Day FedEx Next Day
$0.01 - $75.00 $7.99 $15.99 $20.99 $32.99
$75.01 - $98.99 $8.99 $18.99 $22.99 $37.99
$99.00 - $125.00 FREE $18.99 $22.99 $37.99
$125.01 - $150.00 FREE $20.99 $25.99 $39.99
$150.01 - $200.00 FREE $22.99 $29.99 $42.99
$200.01 and up FREE $26.99 $31.99 $45.99
Express delivery excludes personal checks.
All orders are shipped on business days only.

Free Shipping Excludes Ammo, Heavy, and Oversized Items, and is only good for 48 US contiguous states.

All SWORDS or OVERSIZED Shipments are subject to ADDITIONAL SHIPPING CHARGES. Orders to AK, HI , PR, and US Territories will only ship USPS.

We use USPS Priority Mail as our primary shipping method in order to offer great shipping prices without it taking weeks for your order to arrive!

Our website does not ship outside the United States and it's territories, for Canadian customers please call us at 1-800-251-9306 to place your order.

Back-ordered merchandise will ship as it becomes available. We cannot guarantee shipping method on back-ordered items. Back-orders under $20 and older than 90 days will be cancelled and we will refund your payment method."
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “Chinese-made knives”