Help please with info on an early Case Sportsman fixed blade

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
lwbooth

Help please with info on an early Case Sportsman fixed blade

Post by lwbooth »

I am brand new to the forum and will be disposing of some knives I collected in the 2004-2005 time period. I will need help on some of these and will start with this older series Case Sportsman. The blade bears WR Case & Sons Bradford PA on one side and Case's Tested XX on the other. Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks in advance, Larry
Attachments
IMG_4896.JPG
IMG_4897.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help please with info on an early Case Sportsman fixed blade

Post by btrwtr »

I think your knife is a 62-5 pattern. I guessing the blade is about 5" in length measured from the integral guard. Beautiful green bone handles. Looks to be in excellent condition and the original sheath is a nice plus. Should be worth somewhere north of $150.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Very nice! Not sure how you plan to "dispose" of the knives but there might be some buyers that are AAPK members. Selling fees here are much less than eBay. You can't sell here without a premium membership but a bronze level subscription is just $20 and lets you sell up to 20 knives. For details click on "support AAPK" up there toward the top right-hand side of the page.

And welcome to AAPK! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

By the way, that nice knife is not called a "sportsman". All Case hunting knife sheaths from that era say "Cases Sportsman" on them regardless of the pattern or size.
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

btrwtr wrote:I think your knife is a 62-5 pattern. I guessing the blade is about 5" in length measured from the integral guard. Beautiful green bone handles. Looks to be in excellent condition and the original sheath is a nice plus. Should be worth somewhere north of $150.
Thank you for helping, and, yes the blade is 5 inches. Larry
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Very nice! Not sure how you plan to "dispose" of the knives but there might be some buyers that are AAPK members. Selling fees here are much less than eBay. You can't sell here without a premium membership but a bronze level subscription is just $20 and let's you sell up to 20 knives. For details click on "support AAPK" up there toward the top right-hand side of the page.

Ken
Thank you, Ken both for the welcome and sales info. I will check it out! Larry
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

Gunsil wrote:By the way, that nice knife is not called a "sportsman". All Case hunting knife sheaths from that era say "Cases Sportsman" on them regardless of the pattern or size.
Did not know that, thank you!
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Very nice! Not sure how you plan to "dispose" of the knives but there might be some buyers that are AAPK members. Selling fees here are much less than eBay. You can't sell here without a premium membership but a bronze level subscription is just $20 and let's you sell up to 20 knives. For details click on "support AAPK" up there toward the top right-hand side of the page.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I did upgrade to a supporting member just now. Larry
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

btrwtr wrote:I think your knife is a 62-5 pattern. I guessing the blade is about 5" in length measured from the integral guard. Beautiful green bone handles. Looks to be in excellent condition and the original sheath is a nice plus. Should be worth somewhere north of $150.
By the way, do you know the approximate year of manufacture? Thanks, Larry
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

According to Case fixed blade authority Brad Wood, (published in Sargent’s 7th Edition) the 62-5 first appeared in the January 1, 1934 price list. It was listed in the January 2, 1942 price list but he says to his knowledge none were produced after WWII. It was not included in the January 1, 1949 list.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

Mumbleypeg wrote:According to Case fixed blade authority Brad Wood, (published in Sargent’s 7th Edition) the 62-5 first appeared in the January 1, 1934 price list. It was listed in the January 2, 1942 price list but he says to his knowledge none were produced after WWII. It was not included in the January 1, 1949 list.

Ken

Thanks Ken! I think I read that the tang WR Case & Sons Bradford PA was only used up to 1932, do you know if this is correct?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

lwbooth wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:According to Case fixed blade authority Brad Wood, (published in Sargent’s 7th Edition) the 62-5 first appeared in the January 1, 1934 price list. It was listed in the January 2, 1942 price list but he says to his knowledge none were produced after WWII. It was not included in the January 1, 1949 list.

Ken

Thanks Ken! I think I read that the tang WR Case & Sons Bradford PA was only used up to 1932, do you know if this is correct?
I don’t think anyone knows for certain. To my knowledge no factory records exist prior to the late 1960’s regarding what tang stamps were used when. The best we as collectors have to go on is documentation from old catalogs and price lists. The tang stamp charts floating around in various literature, including those published by Case, are at best educated guesses. Time periods for stamps used for fixed blades differ from those used for pocket knives.

From the aforementioned article by Brad Wood (click to enlarge):
Quoted from Brad Wood, Sargent’s Premium Guide to Knives and Razors, 7th Edition
Quoted from Brad Wood, Sargent’s Premium Guide to Knives and Razors, 7th Edition
Now, since we do have old catalog cuts and price sheets, and if I’m reading Brad Wood’s information correctly, the 62-5 first appeared in the 1934 price list. Which would pretty much exclude it from having a stamp used only up until 1932. That’s my “country boy logic” anyway. :lol:

Maybe someone who knows more will see this and enlighten us. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
lwbooth wrote:

Ken

I don’t think anyone knows for certain. To my knowledge no factory records exist prior to the late 1960’s regarding what tang stamps were used when. The best we as collectors have to go on is documentation from old catalogs and price lists. The tang stamp charts floating around in various literature, including those published by Case, are at best educated guesses. Time periods for stamps used for fixed blades differ from those used for pocket knives.

From the aforementioned article by Brad Wood (click to enlarge):

FCF6778D-952A-4165-8829-A33A7F54476D.jpeg

Now, since we do have old catalog cuts and price sheets, and if I’m reading Brad Wood’s information correctly, the 62-5 first appeared in the 1934 price list. Which would pretty much exclude it from having a stamp used only up until 1932. That’s my “country boy logic” anyway. :lol:

Maybe someone who knows more will see this and enlighten us. ::tu::

Ken
Thanks Ken, that's good to know. I appreciate you taking the time to educate me. Larry
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Looks like the the OP knife predates the use of chrome plating on the fixed blades by Case by Jan 1934 per Brad Wood's article quoted earlier. The knife doesn't look chrome plated in the pictures provided.
steve99f
lwbooth

Post by lwbooth »

steve99f wrote:Looks like the the OP knife predates the use of chrome plating on the fixed blades by Case by Jan 1934 per Brad Wood's article quoted earlier. The knife doesn't look chrome plated in the pictures provided.
Thank you and I agree, it isn't chrome plated.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”