Beer Scout Knife?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Beer Scout Knife?

Post by dlr110 »

Today I stopped at a pawn shop today to see what they might have. I found a knife I had not heard or seen before. The shop had it priced at $99.95, I asked the attendent what kind of a deal would he make. He asked me what I was willing to pay and I responded $60.00.....he agreed. I've been looking online and I've seen prices from $75 to $185, so I'm not sure what it is really worth.

Great Eastern Cutlery Beer Scout 2 blade knife with perfect "Golden Ale handles." The tang stamp is Tidioute Cutlery Made in USA with 153216 on rear. GEC TIW stamp on the screwdriver blade. Beautiful knife, just at this point I don't know anything about it or the company. I guess I've got some reading to do.
20190605_183607.jpg
20190605_183607.jpg (107.62 KiB) Viewed 5072 times
20190605_184004.jpg
20190605_184004.jpg (127.62 KiB) Viewed 5072 times
20190605_203557.jpg
20190605_203557.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 5072 times
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
m0nk

Re: Beer Scout Knife?

Post by m0nk »

dlr110 wrote:Today I stopped at a pawn shop today to see what they might have. I found a knife I had not heard or seen before. The shop had it priced at $99.95, I asked the attendent what kind of a deal would he make. He asked me what I was willing to pay and I responded $60.00.....he agreed. I've been looking online and I've seen prices from $75 to $185, so I'm not sure what it is really worth.

Great Eastern Cutlery Beer Scout 2 blade knife with perfect "Golden Ale handles." The tang stamp is Tidioute Cutlery Made in USA with 153216 on rear. GEC TIW stamp on the screwdriver blade. Beautiful knife, just at this point I don't know anything about it or the company. I guess I've got some reading to do.

20190605_183607.jpg20190605_184004.jpg20190605_203557.jpg
You done good at $60. Probably worth around 3x that much. Your pawn shop find will only grow more valuable over time, as long as it stays minty, since GEC hasn't done a run of these since 2016 (when yours was made) and they probably won't ever produce another Beer Scout due to an alleged legal run-in with the BSA or whatever they are now. Check out greateasterncutlery.net and greateasterncutlery.com for GEC company info. Lots of GEC knife reviews and even a factory tour on youtube. Welcome to the Beer Scout Knife Club (membership certificate was on the original tube, which it sounds like you didn't get). The official Club pint glass was still available at SMKW last I checked.
bs_knife_club_1.PNG
cheers,
Lee
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

m0nk wrote:
dlr110 wrote:Today I stopped at a pawn shop today to see what they might have. I found a knife I had not heard or seen before. The shop had it priced at $99.95, I asked the attendent what kind of a deal would he make. He asked me what I was willing to pay and I responded $60.00.....he agreed. I've been looking online and I've seen prices from $75 to $185, so I'm not sure what it is really worth.

20190605_183607.jpg20190605_184004.jpg20190605_203557.jpg
You done good at $60. Probably worth around 3x that much. Your pawn shop find will only grow more valuable over time, as long as it stays minty, since GEC hasn't done a run of these since 2016 (when yours was made) and they probably won't ever produce another Beer Scout due to an alleged legal run-in with the BSA or whatever they are now. Check out greateasterncutlery.net and greateasterncutlery.com for GEC company info. Lots of GEC knife reviews and even a factory tour on youtube. Welcome to the Beer Scout Knife Club (membership certificate was on the original tube, which it sounds like you didn't get). The official Club pint glass was still available at SMKW last I checked.
bs_knife_club_1.PNG

cheers,
Lee
I wish I had the tube, but it was only the knife. Thank you very much for all the information.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

dlr you have a lot of 'catching up' to do. Great Eastern Cutlery opened up in 2006 and has been turning out absolutely top quality traditional style folding knives right to the present. They must have made over 50 patterns by now and with variety of handles including ivory and mammoth.
If you like traditional style knives you will find them quite addictive.
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

You did really well! Very desirable knife. Here are some Ebay "sold" prices...routinely going for over $200. Great find! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 1&_fosrp=1
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

dlr110 wrote:I wish I had the tube, but it was only the knife. Thank you very much for all the information.
Glad I could help. Having a Beer Scout is great but knowing what you've got makes it all the more enjoyable. If you keep it wiped down with mineral oil - blade, handle, inside and out, it'll keep it looking nice longer. The blade and backspring are 1095 carbon steel and will pit and rust if not constantly maintained, and even the bone can shrink if allowed to dry out. Get inside the blade well to oil the brass liners and inside of the backspring too because rust likes to form there.

- Lee
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

You guys are all right, I have been concentrating on vintage or antique knives and not looking at what is new (except CASE). I think I've just started a new section in my collection of knives. Thanks everyone!!! ::ds::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've been looking at getting into GEC, and find that's the perfect model for me. Unfortunately, the Beer Scout has been out of production for quite some time, and I figure the Bull Buster is best.

At $60 you did great! I wish I could find GEC around here, let alone any American made knife that isn't a Klein. Nothing wrong with the Kleins (and they do offer a one-blade "coping" knife that's quite close to the Navy/Beer Scout pattern; that I quite like), and they're an inexpensive, American made working knife; but they tend to show up the most since coal mines ordered them (particularly hawkbills followed by the little coping knives) by the hundreds. But, they're often under $5, so I stock up; especially on hawkbills.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the Beer Scout deserves to be carried and used. The problem with tubes and boxes is that we tend to leave the knife in the box/tube and never use it. Here is a perfect opportunity to use the knife and experience GEC to the fullest.
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

kootenay joe wrote:I think the Beer Scout deserves to be carried and used. The problem with tubes and boxes is that we tend to leave the knife in the box/tube and never use it. Here is a perfect opportunity to use the knife and experience GEC to the fullest.
kj
I'll second that, KJ ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

We need a new GEC design "BEER BELLY" knife. Sow belly design 3 3/4" to 4 1/4" spear blade with cap lifter and bail.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”