Northwoods Coolidge Jack

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
kootenay joe

Northwoods Coolidge Jack

Post by kootenay joe »

KSF has sent out a message saying that on Thursday a new Northwoods will be released, the "Coolidge". It is a GEC #12 pattern with jigged bone handles and what looks to be a saber ground clip blade. The only picture shown is of knife closed.
The jigged bone is attractive but there is no significant difference between this Northwoods knife and a GEC Northfield version of the #12 pattern. Same frame, same blade, same steel.
I would like to hear the comments/opinions of other forum members on this newest Northwoods knife.
kj
Doc B

Re: Northwoods Coolidge Jack

Post by Doc B »

I'd say the blade is different...long pull and different shape. Looks pretty nice.
12.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I must say it does pique my interest a bit. At 4 inches closed it will be a fairly substantial knife. It also has the Northwoods clip blade with a long pull. I'm not sure we have seen that before. Now if we get some decent handles this may be a tough ticket to pull in. ::nod::
Edit: I'm incorrect the Hawthorne jack had a long pull clip.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I thought the Northfield #12 with stag handles had a saber clip blade but i just looked on line and can only find flat grind examples. I have not being paying much attention to this #12 since i received my aqua camel bone one which i very much like.
Is this Northwoods then the first of the #12's to have a saber clip blade ?
Does anyone know if there are any #12 SFO's coming with a saber clip ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This pic is on the website today. No other handle material mentioned yet.
Attachments
northwoods-coolidge-jack-3__25779.original.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg are you thinking the "Coolidge" will be offered with other handle materials ?
In the past, Northwoods have come with 3 or 4 handle types but all were released at the same time.
Could this be a 'one handle only' Northwoods pattern ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

5 handle materials mentioned today, two Micarta, giraffe bone, cherry wood and Kudu bone. It’s going to be ugly scrambling for these. Good thing we aren’t all standing in line outside of a store or we might trample one another.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

NW_toothpick3.jpg
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am at my 'bush' place with internet speed of slow dial up, every mouse click is a minute or longer wait. I don't stand a chance, not even for the ugliest of the bunch, you know, the one that sells last.
If anyone wants to score a mammoth for me, i'll pay you back more than you spent :mrgreen:
Part of the reason these sell out is the rush you get from trying to score in the scramble,and, this encourages people to 'play'. This is separate from wanting or getting the knife. So you play, get the rush and get a knife which is 100% good deal because if you decide you don't like it, you can sell it for more.
I cannot see any downside.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Kudo Bone
image_10-300x260.jpg
image_10-300x260.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
Onearmbladejunkie

Kudo Bone
NW_toothpick.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:I am at my 'bush' place with internet speed of slow dial up, every mouse click is a minute or longer wait. I don't stand a chance, not even for the ugliest of the bunch, you know, the one that sells last.
If anyone wants to score a mammoth for me, i'll pay you back more than you spent :mrgreen:
Part of the reason these sell out is the rush you get from trying to score in the scramble,and, this encourages people to 'play'. This is separate from wanting or getting the knife. So you play, get the rush and get a knife which is 100% good deal because if you decide you don't like it, you can sell it for more.
I cannot see any downside.
kj

Did you mean Giraffe bone? I didn’t see any mammoth on the list.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, thank you. I had thought the picture showed a mammoth but it is giraffe bone. I have 2 giraffes and both are as fine as the best of mammoths. Not all giraffe bone is this good, there is a range, but most are really quite attractive.
If you want to score a giraffe for me that would be great. But you probably want to get one for yourself and buyers are allowed only 1 of each handle type.
I think the saber grind and swage make this a much better looking knife that those with a full flat grind (FFG).
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Mark, thank you. I had thought the picture showed a mammoth but it is giraffe bone. I have 2 giraffes and both are as fine as the best of mammoths. Not all giraffe bone is this good, there is a range, but most are really quite attractive.
If you want to score a giraffe for me that would be great. But you probably want to get one for yourself and buyers are allowed only 1 of each handle type.
I think the saber grind and swage make this a much better looking knife that those with a full flat grind (FFG).
kj

I just went back and read the details, it says one knife per handle material, so a person could end up with more than one knife. The Giraffe bone is the one that caught my eye, the color on it is magnificent. I’m guessing it will sellout first. I wonder if you try to put two items in your cart, if you are risking one of them selling out while you are piddling with the second item? I’ve gone to check out and found the item not in the cart anymore. I need to strategize.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That went better than last time. Glad they have improved their system. Still a few frustrations but not bad.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Man, was that ever FRUSTRATING.
I put a giraffe #12 into my cart, got to PP but knife is already sold. Went back to KSF, put a different giraffe bone into my cart, got to PP and then i see i am paying for 2 knives. The one that sold before i could pay is still in my cart. Then back to KSF and there is no "View Cart" tab so i cannot remove the sold knife. After skipping all over KSF i finally get a "view cart" and i deleted the sold one; then back to PP but in the end my second choice is now also sold. Back to KSF, nothing left. But my cart still shows the sold second knife.
KSF's website screwed me over by not automatically deleting a sold knife from my cart.
What a STUPID way to buy a knife.
I quit on Northwoods. They are not what they used to be anyway.
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Ahhhh, dang...had my alarm set for central time. ::facepalm::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Finally connected on my third choice. Not a great one but I guess I'll take it. :D
Attachments
northwoods-coolidge-jack-giraffe-bone-A-56__09546.1559765272.jpg
northwoods-coolidge-jack-giraffe-bone-B-56__78704.1559765272.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Man, was that ever FRUSTRATING.
I put a giraffe #12 into my cart, got to PP but knife is already sold. Went back to KSF, put a different giraffe bone into my cart, got to PP and then i see i am paying for 2 knives. The one that sold before i could pay is still in my cart. Then back to KSF and there is no "View Cart" tab so i cannot remove the sold knife. After skipping all over KSF i finally get a "view cart" and i deleted the sold one; then back to PP but in the end my second choice is now also sold. Back to KSF, nothing left. But my cart still shows the sold second knife.
KSF's website screwed me over by not automatically deleting a sold knife from my cart.
kj
I had the exact same problem, just what you described. If I could make a suggestion to them it would be to let you purchase the knife in your cart, if you don’t pay within a certain time, then return it to inventory. What they do with this is frustrating.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Man, was that ever FRUSTRATING.
kj
Roland I discovered that on a previous drop. If you don't empty your cart after an unsuccessful attempt it will negate any later attempts. The fact that a knife that has already been sold remains in your cart is stupid.. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "If I could make a suggestion to them it would be to let you purchase the knife in your cart, if you don’t pay within a certain time, then return it to inventory."
I emailed that suggestion to KSF about 2 months ago. Reply was: whomever gets through paying for it first gets the knife.
I suggested they give you 5 minutes to get through the checkout because for some of us in the mountain boonies, checkout can take 3-4 minutes.
The current system gives an advantage to those who have the fastest connection and also live close to KSF computer because even 1 millionth of a second counts if you have to be the one and only 'first'.
I see KSF as composed of honest people trying to be fair. From Charles' reply (KSF) i think he does not realize how great the effect of computer/internet speed is for their popular knife releases.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quoting another esteemed member: "The fact that a knife that has already been sold remains in your cart is stupid."
I just sent KSF an email saying the same but without the "stupid" even though the word is accurately used here.
As each knife has an ID number like "giraffe bone 47", surely the software could delete it from all carts as soon as it gets paid for ?
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

9999000677344221112.png
9999000677344221112.png (130.52 KiB) Viewed 5935 times
I tried for 14 minutes to buy a Northwoods knife . There were collectors and EVILBAY SELLERs buying 2 & 3 KNIVES. I contacted FB KnivesShipFree and showed my behind. I went straight to TSA Knives and I made a NOS purchase. I a bought Northfield #48 pickle green single blade and a limited Estwing AXE. Then I contacted KnivesShipFree and rubbed it in their noses. They are not the only GEC dealers !
Onearmbladejunkie

1441989664210381238571.jpg
1441989664210381238571.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
My new Estwing AXE from TSA Knives !
Onearmbladejunkie

1490647171479-1704593691.jpg
1490647171479-1704593691.jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 5936 times
I have been looking at this Northfield #48 pickle green single blade for over a month, now. I own an antique amber & the rarest blueberry jigged bone #48s. The Three #48 knives will look cute together ! I bought the last NOS #48 GEC knife on the web. TSA rocks ! I won a $120 Trestle Pine knife , last year.

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”